Linux What for Linux Mint Version to use?
Question 
Hallo,

I build a new PC. Intel i5-4570 + Asus H87M-Pro + 8GB RAM

Whats version of Linux Mint is better for use XBMC?. Mate or Cinnamon?

Or Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS. I have read Unity make problems?

Need I install special Driver for the Intel GPU? vaapi Support, Mesa ... 23,97and 24 fps without frame drops

Thanks.
I'm not sure Unity "causes" problems it's just a miserable interface to use by many accounts - including mine. Both Mate and Cinamon are decent interfaces, it's just personal preference I think and I don't believe it will cause an issue with XBMC either way.

I'll be interested to hear how your build goes - I'll be moving from ION1 to a Haswell i3 myself soon I think. Please keep this thread posted on any issues you run into :-)
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Probably none... I've read that mint isnt great for games/full screen 3d applications as its not possible to disable to compositing manager. Probably best to run xbmc as its own session from the login screen. KDE works well for me with full screen 3d apps.
Hi Jooccer

That depends on what else are you planning to do with the server.

If the HW will be used only as XBMC, maybe the best would be to install XBMCbuntu ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMCbuntu ).

If you also want to use it for other applications, Linux Mint is a great OS and both Mate and Cinnamon are OK (Cinnamon used to be "too new" but with next Mint release it will get a great boost, while Mate is very stable and "classical" but lately nothing interesting is being added). But as Teeedubb said, it won't be a great idea to run XBMC inside Mate/Cinammon desktop, the best is to configure it as an independent session fro the login screen (this means, you log-in directly into XBMC, without loading the desktop)

In order to do so you can check this link: http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...linux.html the section that starts with " If you installed Ubuntu Minimal, set the Xsession to automatically start with XBMC: " Please note that the link has other interesting linux tips, but you should ignore everything related to XVBA, Catalyst and display drivers of that link (those are special instructions for AMD)

I've installed my system that way. When you power it on it automatically displays XBMC in the main screen (my TV), but I can also run a remote mate-session via nomachine from an old notebook that I use as a dumb terminal.

Hope this helps
Pretty sure Mint is what powers the box in my living room, full screen no issues. I din't recall doing anything weird to get it going either although I have an overscan issue that's annoying and hides the minimized apps etc. on the bottom of the screen which isn't where I'm used to looking for them in Linux. I can try and pull details from system if anyone cares.

Okay I got curious - SSH login screen claims it's Mint 14 - Nadia. Kernel is 3.5.0-17....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Hallo,

I need a Desktop for other application. XBMC is not allone installed. Has XBMCbuntu a Desktop or is nothing available?
I would like use a remote control and VNC access from other PC.
The Keyboard and Mouse should in end effect to disappear.

(Now I use Ubuntu 12.04. LTS with old hardware, AMD 4850e + chipset grafik 780G.)

For using XBMC is better boot XBMC direct without any desktop. Realy?
Because, I feel no difference beetween XBMC start from unity or direct boot to XBMC or classic 2D or 3D Unity Desktop.

I hope the new Hardware make this better.

Now I find a Distribution make no problems with XBMC. Confused
Hi Jooccer

If you want remote desktop, I recommend you to try NoMachine, either the Enterprise or the Linux Workstation packages. That allows you to create virtual desktops: you can be logged-in doing stuff while somebody else is looking at a movie in the main screen.

http://www.nomachine.com/

Regarding starting XBMC as part of the desktop, to be honest my server has no monitor, only the TV, and I didn't want people to need to "log-in" to see a movie, that's why I use direct boot into XBMC (without password). But never tried to start it as part of desktop, you'll have to test it :-)

Kr

Max
Hallo,

you mean I need not a desktop? Can I use XBMCbuntu?

How do I install all my Application without desktop?

If installed nomachine. Running the applications local on the Linux PC and I see on the nomachine client a Copy from Application Window?
My Question is. If running XBMC in front of, can I use other application from other PC with nomachine?

Now I use VNC and see every time the same screen of the VNC Client.
If I boot without linux desktop, I can not use my Apps over VNC.
Joocer, from what he's saying yes you can have a separate desktop while someone else is using the computer. That's what a virtual desktop is. I've not ever used this software either but it looks very interesting and I'll be giving it a test drive ASAP :-) Nice find Maxi!
(2013-09-23, 14:52)Jooccer Wrote: For using XBMC is better boot XBMC direct without any desktop. Realy?
Because, I feel no difference beetween XBMC start from unity or direct boot to XBMC or classic 2D or 3D Unity Desktop.

I guess depends on the individual - I could not stand running g xbmc with compiz/unity 12.10+ - the xbmc interface was not its usual buttery smooth, like when you browse the menus while watching a 24fps movie with 'adjust refresh rate to match movie' option enabled.
Hallo,

okay gues, I becomes (right word?) it tested, in the next days I have my new hardware and than test, test, test ...
Thanks for the nice conversation. I post the result ...
That's the beauty of Linux - there is so many different ways of running it that's its a matter of personal preference. Find which suits you best and stick to it.
Hallo,

I have build the new PC.

i5-4570
Asus H87M-Pro
8GB RAM
SSD + HD

I have install Ubuntu 12.04.3 (64 Bit) and then the kernel version 3.10.13.
Then install XBMC 12.2
Change in the ubuntu 2D Desktop.
Then uninstall compiz* complete.

My problem ist now, I have no vsync. I have tearing. Why?

I have no graphics driver window for change the settings.

If play a movie and press Key "o" >>> dc: ff-h264 without vaapi information

My logfile
Hallo,

update. Smile

I have installed Ubuntu 13.04 now. Kernel update 3.10.14 and then installed the "Intel Linux Graphics Installer version 1.0.2."
XBMC show me h264-vaapi and run perfect. Big Grin

Thats all.
Whatever you do, don't try to use Compiz together with XBMC. While it seems to work, refresh rate switching won't. This practically rules out Unity as a desktop environment, and probably Cinnamon as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What for Linux Mint Version to use?0