There should be a warning before selecting a skin with limited input acceptance
I have Kodi on a Fire TV Stick.

I was trying out different skins when I tried out Re-Touched.

There was no warning when selecting it that it doesn't support using a remote control other than for very basic navigation. There is no way to get back into settings and change the skin back.

This is a pretty bad user experience. If there are to be skins like Re-Touched that don't support various input methods, there should be a warning before you enable them that you might not be able to fix your Kodi install. It's even worse because Re-Touched is a built-in skin included by default.

There's no way to plug in a mouse on the Fire TV Stick, and there's no built-in file manager, so it looks like I'm going to have to wipe out my Kodi installation and set it up from scratch again because I tried out the wrong skin.
Thats a touch screen skin. There is a warning here; http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=128494 , probably would be good to include in the info screen as well if they didn't.

You can probably fix via SSH. Google SSH Kodi FireTV
I don't know about you, but when I go to select Re-Touched, it clearly states in the description that it is designed to be used on touch screen devices. That should have given you at least some indication.
I'm surprised you were able to switch it. That should probably be listed as a bug. If the skin doesn't support keyboard input, you shouldn't be able to switch from No to Yes on the "do you want to keep this skin" message.
Can't you go to data/kodi/addons and delete skin.retouch. I may be a bit off on the directory but it should be there. Grab es file explorer.
(2015-04-24, 02:54)kyle84 Wrote: I don't know about you, but when I go to select Re-Touched, it clearly states in the description that it is designed to be used on touch screen devices. That should have given you at least some indication.

Yeah, I saw that. I assumed when it said designed for touch screens that it would have big buttons and a modern-looking interface - worth a look at least. I don't think that description gave me any indication to expect I'd have to wipe out my Kodi install because the skin wouldn't support my remote control and I'd have no way to get back into settings to change the skin back.

(2015-04-24, 03:55)natethomas Wrote: I'm surprised you were able to switch it. That should probably be listed as a bug. If the skin doesn't support keyboard input, you shouldn't be able to switch from No to Yes on the "do you want to keep this skin" message.

I just cautiously tried it again (being sure not to exit out of the settings screen knowing I wouldn't be able to get back), and can confirm that for some reason, there is no "do you want to keep this skin" message. There is one when switching back to Confluence.

Though the skin does support the remote to a very limited extent. You can use it to navigate around, though you can't see what you're selecting, but the big problem is there is no way to reach the settings button with the arrow keys.
(2015-04-24, 02:52)whitebelly Wrote: You can probably fix via SSH. Google SSH Kodi FireTV

(2015-04-24, 05:26)Frozin Wrote: Can't you go to data/kodi/addons and delete skin.retouch. I may be a bit off on the directory but it should be there. Grab es file explorer.

Thanks, but I ended up already wiping data on Kodi before I saw these. Nonetheless, neither of those is a very straightforward fix either, in general I do still think the user experience could stand to be polished up quite a bit here.
You don't get the warning at all? That's very odd. I justed tested it on my iPhone and got the warning no problem. I'll check on an android device.
Not to split hairs, but this was user error as the description says it's for touch screen. Smile glad you got it fixed, to bad you had to wipe the system.
(2015-04-24, 03:55)natethomas Wrote: I'm surprised you were able to switch it. That should probably be listed as a bug. If the skin doesn't support keyboard input, you shouldn't be able to switch from No to Yes on the "do you want to keep this skin" message.

the yes/no issue was a bug indeed, it was coded in a way that it worked with a remote or keyboard.
i fixed it some weeks ago. the fixed version is only available on kodi isengard.

i don't have a clue why the warning didn't pop up at all though.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Is it still not possible to update default skins as a normal add-on update? I know there was a bug a while back that caused XBMC/Kodi to freak out, but it was a while ago.
yessterday i pushed the isengard version of re-touched to the addon repo.
so as of kodi 15.x it's possible to update that skin outside of kodi updates.
i don't think we've ever done confluence updates that way.

i'm not aware of any real past issues... just that the screen may turn black for a short period while the new skin is being loaded.
probably hardly noticeable on a decent htpc, but might be somewhat odd if the update happens (unexpectedly) on a slower droid/rPi system.
we will find out soon enough if that is still an issue.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2015-04-24, 08:54)ronie Wrote:

the yes/no issue was a bug indeed, it was coded in a way that it worked with a remote or keyboard.
i fixed it some weeks ago. the fixed version is only available on kodi isengard.

i don't have a clue why the warning didn't pop up at all though.

Here is a video I made of the lack of warning pop up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtQyCl4E...e=youtu.be

There's no warning when switching to Re-Touched, but there is a warning when switching back to Confluence.

I'd like to propose that as a good user experience, Kodi shouldn't allow a user to switch to a skin if they have none of the inputs that the skin is marked to support plugged in at the time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
There should be a warning before selecting a skin with limited input acceptance0