Since then I have installed lightdm and edited: /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

to say:

Code:
[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=xbmc
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=XBMC
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

However I still get prompted for a password at boot.

Why is this not working?
Mmm...lots of people asking that lately...

Have you selected the check-box of "Don't ask for a password at login" for XBMC user at User & Groups menu? If not, auto-login won't work as the system is configured to ask for a password

Also, I assume that you have the correct XBMC.desktop file (at /usr/share/xsessions/ )

[Desktop Entry]
Name=XBMC
Comment=This session will start XBMC Media Center
Exec=xbmc-standalone
TryExec=xbmc-standalone
Type=Application

Max
Thanks for the response.
I have not clicked that box, but I am unable.. I I installed Ubuntu from the minimal iso and then installed lightdm from apt-get.

The only session I can pick at log in is xbmc. I can't choose to go to a desktop in order to get to the user and groups menu.
Furthermore I think you also need to add this to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf :

pam-service=lightdm-autologin

Since you installed from minimal and added the display manager later, I assume you don't use a desktop, so there is probably no "Don't ask for a password" box to check.
You are right. There is no box to check. I will try adding that line to my configuration file when I get home and report back how it works.
Nope adding that line does not work.

It still asks for the password on boot
Is XBMC user the user you created during installation? I'm guessing here, but as the first user created during installation has admin privileges, I imagine that there should be some security-locks that need to be removed before that user can log-in without a password.

It's pure guessing, but maybe you want to try adding a plain userand changing your lightdm.conf

Max

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto login not working0