Crash with Video card issue (drivers?)
I had grainy looking graphics with y integrate graphics out, so I upgraded to an Asus GT610 (here at newegg) which is based on the nVidia GT610.

Before changing any drivers I can boot into Ubuntu or XBMCbuntu fine, but I cannot run XBMC. I prefer to run XBMC as a shell and boot straight into it, but this is obviously not possible. Before the GPU upgrade, I could launch or boot into XBMC fine; now (with the GT610) XBMC crashes at startup.

If I remove the GPU and switch back to the integrated graphics it works fine; I just don't get HDMI out, plus the video doesn't look the best.

I performed:
> apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
> sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
and it changed my resolution lower. This of course made everything look zoomed in and too large for my screen. Even the System Settings window exceed my monitors view.

Then I tried this repository, see post #7 here or below, and it corrected the high resolution display within Ubuntu, but XBMC still crashes on startup.
If you don't want to click above, this is what post #7 said:
>to install nvidia gt 610m driver for ubuntu 12.10 :
>first remove nvidai driver :
>sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current && sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current-update
>Then :
>sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

Any ideas on how to get this to work? Or should I just get a different GPU? I think I still have a few days to return it.
I NEED a fanless GPU to keep this machine sitting in my living room. (got to keep the Mrs. happyBig Grin) So if no resolution is in sight perhaps recommendations of fanless GPUs known to work with XBMC 12.2 "Frodo."

My info:
Hardware...
GPU: Asus GT610-2gd3 Geforce GT 610 (newegg)
(Ubuntu says: "Graphics _ VESA: GF119 Board - 13100004" - I don't know what this means)
Mobo: ASUS P5BVM-DO
Mem: 5.9GiB
CPU: Intel Core2 [email protected]
HD: 500GB system, 1TB external (both old spinners)

Software...
XBMCbuntu, 12.2 "Frodo" --trying to boot straight into XBMC as shell (DL'd from XBMC.org)
Ubuntu 12.10 --as a basis
When XBMCbuntu is installed it makes changes to the system based on what hardware it finds. If you change video drivers you need to make changes, but it's all fairly ccomplicated and you are probably best to reinstall the nvidia version of XBMCbuntu from scratch.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Good thought Nickr. I didn't really want to go through all that work as just an experiment, but from what you're saying it sounds like the easiest route. Thanks!
You can backup your userdata before you reinstall.

Or try an nvidia based openelec on a usb stick.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
For the record, doing a fresh install did the trick. No issues.
Thanks nickr.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crash with Video card issue (drivers?)0