I found my new dream machine
Thumbs Up 
I've been building a few custom HTPCs for friends and family mainly because they wanted some specific parts used that I couldn't find in a pre-built.

HOWEVER,.....I had a friend that wanted me to configure his Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 as a HTPC running XBMC.

Man, am I glad he did,...!!! I love it,..and he loves it even more,...in fact he has since asked me to configure another 3 for his entire house.
I love the small form factor, the pre-installed OS, that it comes with a multi-media remote, and can be VESA mounted.
He wants to purchase another 3 as gifts. Yeah,..I like this guy,...just wish he'd adopt me. Wink
As for the price,..I actually find it extremely reasonable since there is no way I'd be able to build anything that small.
PLUS,...you're getting the OS, and a remote.

I have since purchased 2 for myself,...okay,..one is for the wife,...and the other is for my son who's in another state,....but I WILL get my own.

I'm hoping as the power draw for these devices drops,...the size shrinks, the price drops and the processing power multiples.
Actually I don't have to hope,...since the new CPUs coming out now, are doing just that.

So does that mean I've given up on building custom machines,....heck no,....but the Q190 is making my job easier,..and it's making me look like a genius.
and I can turn these around and get them in the customer's hands that much faster.
There is a newer version of the Q190 with the Ivy Bridge C1007U processor: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-...00CPZJ5FY/

If you're running OpenELEC though, I think you can DIY this quite a bit cheaper using the Gigabyte C1007U motherboard. I am also seeing C1037U motherboards finally showing up in the US.
Hope you got the one with ivy bridge celeron. I bought one with sandy bridge celeron and had to return it because of issues with hd videos. I liked it overall except for those issues. I'm planning to buy another one with C1007U and check it out.

@dougie

I looked in to the option of building one with the gigabyte board but not sure if I would want to go through it just to save 20-30$. Also I find it hard to choose the right case and the cost goes up with the good case.
(2013-09-25, 18:04)Dougie Fresh Wrote: There is a newer version of the Q190 with the Ivy Bridge C1007U processor: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-...00CPZJ5FY/

If you're running OpenELEC though, I think you can DIY this quite a bit cheaper using the Gigabyte C1007U motherboard. I am also seeing C1037U motherboards finally showing up in the US.

The one I pointed out, Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 is running a C1007U processor and is cheaper too. But I'll look at the one you described,....as always Dougie,...not sure how you keep on top of all this stuff.
(2013-09-25, 22:09)milli Wrote: Hope you got the one with ivy bridge celeron. I bought one with sandy bridge celeron and had to return it because of issues with hd videos. I liked it overall except for those issues. I'm planning to buy another one with C1007U and check it out.

@dougie

I looked in to the option of building one with the gigabyte board but not sure if I would want to go through it just to save 20-30$. Also I find it hard to choose the right case and the cost goes up with the good case.

Yup,..this one is the Ivy Bridge version. I agree with you,...saving $20-$30 seems miniscule compared to me putzing around with tiny cases and motherboards.
The key to sanity is knowing when your skills reach their limit.
Unfortunately, my skills often reach their limits too many times. Sad
Yeah, I guess I am in a unique position because I already have stacks of nice small cases.
(2013-09-26, 15:57)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Yeah, I guess I am in a unique position because I already have stacks of nice small cases.

Lucky me,....I also have stacks of something,...but they're called "vinyl records".
or as my kids used to call them "frisbees".
and at least they're not 78's,....I'm not that old,...at least not yet.
(2013-09-26, 16:48)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2013-09-26, 15:57)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Yeah, I guess I am in a unique position because I already have stacks of nice small cases.

Lucky me,....I also have stacks of something,...but they're called "vinyl records".

Hilarious!
(2013-09-25, 17:57)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I've been building a few custom HTPCs for friends and family mainly because they wanted some specific parts used that I couldn't find in a pre-built.

HOWEVER,.....I had a friend that wanted me to configure his Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 as a HTPC running XBMC.

Man, am I glad he did,...!!! I love it,..and he loves it even more,...in fact he has since asked me to configure another 3 for his entire house.
I love the small form factor, the pre-installed OS, that it comes with a multi-media remote, and can be VESA mounted.
He wants to purchase another 3 as gifts. Yeah,..I like this guy,...just wish he'd adopt me. Wink
As for the price,..I actually find it extremely reasonable since there is no way I'd be able to build anything that small.
PLUS,...you're getting the OS, and a remote.

I have since purchased 2 for myself,...okay,..one is for the wife,...and the other is for my son who's in another state,....but I WILL get my own.

I'm hoping as the power draw for these devices drops,...the size shrinks, the price drops and the processing power multiples.
Actually I don't have to hope,...since the new CPUs coming out now, are doing just that.

So does that mean I've given up on building custom machines,....heck no,....but the Q190 is making my job easier,..and it's making me look like a genius.
and I can turn these around and get them in the customer's hands that much faster.

Sounds like your sold on this one. I took notice of your post as i have heard other good things about the Q190. What I like about it is it is a complete system. I was about sold on the i3 haswell that is coming out. But time you buy everything to make it work, it is pretty steep. My only questions is can this celeron run xbmc, netflix, 1080p flawlessly. I understand from my reading that the celeron cannot process 3d but the i3 can. What are the actual differences in the intel 2000 graphics vs the 4000. Do you think leveno will have the haswell soon.
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
There is no HD 2000 GPU in the Celeron version, there is a 2000 "light" version on board, Intel just calls it HD graphics, nothing more. From the QS (Intel® Quick Sync Video) options, only HD decoding seems to work, but that is enough for HD video display.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
The Q190 thread is here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157563
(2013-09-27, 15:15)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The Q190 thread is here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157563

Thanks Dougie
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
You're welcome!
(2013-09-26, 16:48)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:

My son referred to them as "those big black CDs like Granny has".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I found my new dream machine1