Advice on NAS and Gaming HTPC
I have thought of that, but didn't know how that would effect performance while watching a video on the same pc; or if my wife was watching something on her computer and I was playing a game on steam.
(2013-09-29, 14:36)Christer K Wrote: I doubt there is enuogh grunt in the Synology for transcoding purposes

I know for a fact there is not. you will need a workstation and a decent cpu to do it.

why are you using playon over xbmc? Are you streaming from a PS3 or xbox (that's the only use I saw for it).
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
(2013-10-01, 13:39)JPCRacing24 Wrote: I have thought of that, but didn't know how that would effect performance while watching a video on the same pc; or if my wife was watching something on her computer and I was playing a game on steam.

Build your gaming-pc and try Wink
(2013-10-02, 06:56)Christer K Wrote:
(2013-10-01, 13:39)JPCRacing24 Wrote: I have thought of that, but didn't know how that would effect performance while watching a video on the same pc; or if my wife was watching something on her computer and I was playing a game on steam.

Build your gaming-pc and try Wink

Will do! Cool Thanks for everyone's input. what is a good motherboard for the server? The cases I have looked at can hold 6-7 3.5" drives. Would I need to buy a card to be able to hook them all up? I know I would have to buy extra sata and molex cables.
As an example, the MSI Computer Corp. Socket AM3+ AMD 970 DDR3 SATA3 and USB 3.0 A&GbE ATX Motherboard has 6 - SATA3 Ports and supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 10

So with this one,..you wouldn't need to buy anything other than the sata drives, and they usually come with a sata cable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice on NAS and Gaming HTPC0