Remote options
I`m thinking of moving on from an ATV2 based system to a Haswell i5 NUC system as soon as the new NUCs get released. I`ll probably go for windows but thats not decided yet.

Currently I am moderately happy with my remote control solution as i use my Samsung TV remote (TM1240) to control the ATV2 (i never use the number buttons on the remote so I programmed those to replace the ATV2 remote). This allows me to control the TV and the ATV2 with the same remote.

So...what are my options with the new NUC (which should have an inbuilt IR receiver)

1) Keep the same Samsung remote and somehow if possible find a way to program the unused number buttons through some windows software (event ghost?) to control XBMC

2) Move to a CEC based system. However I`m rather skeptical about this because the Pulse 8 hardware seems quite expensive and from what I read functionality would still be rather limited. Also it doesnt sound like a sensile option given that the NUCs have an IR receiver

3) Buy some Harmony or All in One universal remote. Would this be the best choice? I guess I`d have much more functionality than option 1?

4) My Samsung TV also came with a "smart" remote TM1360A. This is supposedly a programmable universal remote. However it doesnt seem to be designed to control an HTPC?

What would you go for? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
My personal experience... I'd shell out for the CEC device. YMMV, of course, but I tried programmable remotes, dedicated remotes, I fought with LIRC, I had internal, external and somewhere-in-the-next-room receivers. None have come close to the absolute simplicity of changing source with the TV remote and then simply carrying on pushing the same buttons in the same manner.

Since I'm in the market for a second device, I'd agree that the Pulse8 unit could be cheaper - £30 is a lot for an invisible peripheral - but my experience suggests that it works very well indeed (on my 2011 Panasonic, anyway).

EDIT: "buttonses"?? What am I, four years old?
(2013-09-28, 12:42)Prof Yaffle Wrote: ...

EDIT: "buttonses"?? What am I, four years old?

Nop you are the Gollum Smile
(2013-09-28, 15:19)solamnic Wrote: Nop you are the Gollum Smile

It is true that hanging around in forums like this can be hobbit-forming, yes...
If the ir receiver picks up the signal from your Samsung remote you can use that. I have a cec adapter and its great - turning on the htpc will also turn on the TV etc, but there are not enough buttons on the TV remote dedicated to xbmc for my liking and I still use my harmony remote - id be lost without it.
I wouldn't shell out for a CEC adapter until you've made sure your particular TV works well with it. I bought one and about the only buttons I can use on my Panasonic remote is the arrows, OK and back button. Good enough apparently for many clueless Youtube posters but not enough for really replacing a dedicated remote.
Thanks for all the comments. I guess I`ll sit back for a while and see what others are managing to do with the new NUC's IR receiver. Will also have to see how well or unwell CEC works out with the new NUCs especially since these have mini HDMI and something tells me that adding in an adapter in the system might make a CEC solution more flaky.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote options0