• 6(current)
Video of latest xbmc code on Raspberry Pi
@popcornmix, i didnot understand all your things - i updated to last rbej build with newclock3, i think the fanarts and images are slowly(Skin metroTV)

why this in your advancedsettings?

<fanartres>720</fanartres>
<imageres>512</imageres>

Is this a maximalvalue or all images are 720px and all fanart are 512px

My fanart from TMDB are 1280 x 720
My covers from TMDB are variable, 422 x 540 or 381 x 540 ....

i will not 1080p - 720p is ok for my GUI!

what must i do for reload fanarts and images from TMDB or other database?

Edit: I think, this build is faster: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1518755
as this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1519016
(2013-10-02, 17:21)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-10-02, 12:01)raspberry_pd Wrote: So in theory I could save the TVDB and TMDB a lot of trouble, and perhaps even speed up my library scanning a little, by storing local versions of meta images on my NAS? Cool.

Local artwork will definitely speed up scanning. It will also give you more consistent results as you will be able to select higher quality artwork. In addition, your artwork will always be available should you add another client, whereas internet hosted artwork has a habit of disappearing (this point is important when adding extra clients to a shared library).

(2013-10-02, 12:01)raspberry_pd Wrote: Hmmm, wonder if your texturecache script can convert from the cached filenames to real filenames and copy them from cache to my NAS? Smile I suspect it can, time to read the full documentation Smile

No, it can't actually - there's already the built-in library "export" option for that. However, you'll just be exporting your cached artwork, which will contain resized and lower quality versions of the original artwork so it's not really an ideal solution IMHO. You're better off using something like Ember Media Manager to organise your local artwork (using the highest quality available) and metadata.

(2013-10-02, 12:01)raspberry_pd Wrote: I was trying to do what popcornmix suggested earlier in this thread here might help speed things up. I lurv speed Smile However it sounds like I was fishing without bait and I can't interpret these results anyway Smile

Here's my results:

Movies
http://pastebin.com/N0MRqh6A

TV
http://pastebin.com/wG4f2GHW

That looks like it's working normally. For Movies, all your posters and fanarts were already cached, so nothing more needed to be cached. However for TV Shows your cache was missing 21 items so they were added to the cache. Now your texture cache should be fully populated and the GUI not wasting any more time encoding artwork as you browse through your movies and tv shows.

Thanks for the great tips and help MilhouseVH, sensational. Unfortunately Ember didn't install first time, but I'll try again on another machine later. I've been considering how best to try setting up NFS for another speed improvement over my current SMB connection to my NAS (which is a not especially fast Drobo unit).

Do you think it's worthwhile opening a dedicated site somewhere with nothing but a quick guide to maximizing XBMC performance? I see lots of tips here and there and everywhere and that's great, but it feels like a central guide, or ever 'cheat sheat' would be a beacon for a lot of users.
(2013-10-03, 10:12)raspberry_pd Wrote: Do you think it's worthwhile opening a dedicated site somewhere with nothing but a quick guide to maximizing XBMC performance? I see lots of tips here and there and everywhere and that's great, but it feels like a central guide, or ever 'cheat sheat' would be a beacon for a lot of users.

Yes, I'm sure it would be helpful if it doesn't exist already (and it may not).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-10-03, 10:12)raspberry_pd Wrote: Do you think it's worthwhile opening a dedicated site somewhere with nothing but a quick guide to maximizing XBMC performance? I see lots of tips here and there and everywhere and that's great, but it feels like a central guide, or ever 'cheat sheat' would be a beacon for a lot of users.

Great idea.

There is lots of information around but it is spread very thinly across this site, the Wiki and elsewhere on the web. Having it all in one place would help a great deal.

Maybe just needs a new 'Performance Tips' section added to the RPi wiki here.
Here's some tips http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...ec-on.html

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
@popcornmix: can you answer my questions, please?

Who reload the textures?

Is this a maxvalue?
<fanartres>720</fanartres>
<imageres>512</imageres>
No, not maxvalues.

Those are the standard values used on RPi.

fanartres and imageres

popcornmix is working on improving jpg rendering.
Ok, thanks!

How i clear the texturecache?
(2013-10-04, 21:04)Koloss Wrote: Ok, thanks!

How i clear the texturecache?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...pid1356329
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hm.. can i manually delete the textures in database and userdata?
I just pointed you to what you asked, what do you mean 'manually'?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-04, 22:39)Koloss Wrote: Hm.. can i manually delete the textures in database and userdata?
Yes.
rm ~/.xbmc/userdata/Database/Textures*.db
rm -rf ~/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails
reboot
thanks, in windows smb-share deleted the files and the thumbnails reload it self
(2013-10-01, 19:59)MilhouseVH Wrote: With these latest patches, I still get the occasional timeout when browsing fairly rapidly through 600+ Movies with Fanart view:

I think I've fixed some causes for this timeout. Can you test latest newclock3 code?

This is a latest Gotham build with latest newclock3 patches:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-6zmEDJ...sp=sharing
(2013-10-08, 22:44)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-10-01, 19:59)MilhouseVH Wrote: With these latest patches, I still get the occasional timeout when browsing fairly rapidly through 600+ Movies with Fanart view:

I think I've fixed some causes for this timeout. Can you test latest newclock3 code?

I think you have too! Smile

I went back to NFS* to test this build (assuming this is the "slowest" configuration and thus most likely to induce timeouts), using 1080 fanartres and 720 imageres with a 256MB/256MB GPU split.

I re-cached 638 movie fanart and 638 poster images and not a single error (other than the expected non-YUV complaint for Spider Man 3 fanart). Using just two threads, the average time to cache each fanart image is 1.33 seconds and 1.28 seconds for posters.

While browsing steadily but at a brisk pace through the Movies library in Fanart view (Amber skin), there were no timeouts or other errors/warnings, a totally silent log! Smile

Many thanks.

* I've now switched to USB3.0 (specifically, this of the 32GB variety formatted with ext4, 25MB/s read and 13MB/s write) but I don't really see a noticeable performance improvement compared with NFS while navigating through the library, but I'm guessing this could be because I'm using 1080 fanart/720 posters, and that any improved IO performance is largely negated by the additional time required to decode the larger artwork. I'm not complaining though, as even over NFS the performance is more than acceptable, I just wanted to mention that depending on your configuration (ie. with high res fanart) USB may lose some of it's speed advantage in the UI.

For comparison, I also re-cached the movie fanart and posters while using USB for /storage and this is faster than NFS: fanart averaged 1.91/second, and posters 1.96/second.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video of latest xbmc code on Raspberry Pi6