• 9(current)
Video of latest xbmc code on Raspberry Pi
I've had my 1000/500/600/+4/+4 Pi hit 85C before, at which point the overclocks were automatically disabled. Normally it ticks over at about 65C (average 30%-35% CPU load at the main menu in Amber, no h264 block enabled). Not sure what caused the temperature to ramp so high, it wasn't playing any video at the time so those blocks shouldn't have been active but it may have been due to the ARM core being maxed out at 100% for a long-ish period.

Edit: In Amber, on the TV Show -> Recently Added list (in List view), with the highlight on a TV show where the Plot is sufficiently long enough to cause vertical scrolling, and the CPU is pegged at about 70%, and the temp has so far peaked at 80C... Eek
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Have to test that one. My occasional peek to the temps never showed anything close to those values. Not even during summer when temperature easily reaches 40 celsius for weeks on end where I live.

1000/500/600/+4/+4? What else are you overvolting?
(2013-10-19, 19:25)hudo Wrote: Have to test that one. My occasional peek to the temps never showed anything close to those values. Not even during summer when temperature easily reaches 40 celsius for weeks on end where I live.

1000/500/600/+4/+4? What else are you overvolting?

That's +4 over_voltage and +4 over_voltage_sdram.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Got it! Thanks.

I received a new batch of Pis yesterday with Micron RAM and can't get them to go above 900/333/450 no matter what I do. Probably Hynix RAM all over again.
Samsung RAM plays nice with overclocking.

Will test with sdram overvolting.
(2013-09-28, 16:42)popcornmix Wrote: People often complain xbmc on the Pi is too laggy to be usable.

Here is a demo of latest build running quite smoothly.

This is top of tree (Gotham) OpenELEC with some performance patches I'm currently working on.

The Movie played was 4 gigs and 720p.

The Pi is overclocked to 1GHz arm, 500MHz core and 600MHz sdram.
The install is on a USB stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErWF2sYgJec

I've been struggling with to set up my RPi since I bought it in May 2013. I've reached the point where I just accepted it's limitations until I came across your video.
I've read though, that OpenElec represents the best solution for the Pi but yet I couldn't find a step-by-step set-up instruction.

I also had bad experience with the overclocking. I still have the 'confluence' skin and I could never make raspbmc to display my movies and series the way I could see in your video.

Man, would I be happy if I could get my Pi working the way yours does.

I was also amazed that you could control your Pi with the TV remote. How the heck did you do that? And what is CEC?

I have my OS installed on the SD card and a USB stick. I have experienced a power outage that led to corruption of the OS (don't know of which part) that came with the unpleasant need of re-installing raspbmc. I have read that you could create a backup of the OS and I did that using win32diskimager (I'm running Windows XP on my desktop). However when I gave it a try, meaning I restored the previously gained images back to the SD card and the USB stick, the Pi started with a complete new installation, no idea what went wrong.

So here is the challenge:
- provide a step-by-step procedure on how you installed your Pi (openElec, raspbmc, skin, settings to make it display the movie images, etc.)
- provide info upon the remote control via CEC
- speeding up the Pi (overclocking?)

I'd be happy to put together a step-by-step manual after having done the above on my Pi to share it with everyone.

cheers
@derwildemann
You PM-ed me, but you have messaging disabled you I can't respond.
To get the different backgrounds seen in my video, just install the Amber skin.
(2013-11-25, 15:53)derwildemann Wrote:
(2013-09-28, 16:42)popcornmix Wrote: People often complain xbmc on the Pi is too laggy to be usable.

This is top of tree (Gotham) OpenELEC with some performance patches I'm currently working on.

I've been struggling with to set up my RPi since I bought it in May 2013. I've reached the point where I just accepted it's limitations until I came across your video.
I've read though, that OpenElec represents the best solution for the Pi but yet I couldn't find a step-by-step set-up instruction.

I also had bad experience with the overclocking. I still have the 'confluence' skin and I could never make raspbmc to display my movies and series the way I could see in your video.

I was also amazed that you could control your Pi with the TV remote. How the heck did you do that? And what is CEC?

I have my OS installed on the SD card and a USB stick. I have experienced a power outage that led to corruption of the OS (don't know of which part) that came with the unpleasant need of re-installing raspbmc. I have read that you could create a backup of the OS and I did that using win32diskimager (I'm running Windows XP on my desktop). However when I gave it a try, meaning I restored the previously gained images back to the SD card and the USB stick, the Pi started with a complete new installation, no idea what went wrong.

- provide a step-by-step procedure on how you installed your Pi (openElec, raspbmc, skin, settings to make it display the movie images, etc.)
[Zeusx]
Try for your self between Raspbmc and openELEC. From far I prefer openELEC, but its your choice.
openELEC - http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/download...-pi-builds
Raspbmc - http://www.raspbmc.com/wiki/technical/wi...installer/
[Zeusx]
If your TV HDMI is compatible, you can use your TV remote to control the PI
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=CEC
[Zeusx]
try to follow this:
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-...ry-pi.html
if you download the latest build, you will find the .txt with available setting to change. Play with them, but try to not burn you pi.

I'd be happy to put together a step-by-step manual after having done the above on my Pi to share it with everyone.

cheers

Have fun =)
(2013-12-02, 23:09)zeus[x] Wrote: [quote='derwildemann' pid='1558875' dateline='1385387614']
[quote='popcornmix' pid='1515947' dateline='1380379333']
People often complain xbmc on the Pi is too laggy to be usable.

[Zeusx]
Try for your self between Raspbmc and openELEC. From far I prefer openELEC, but its your choice.
openELEC - http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/download...-pi-builds
Raspbmc - http://www.raspbmc.com/wiki/technical/wi...installer/
[Zeusx]
If your TV HDMI is compatible, you can use your TV remote to control the PI
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=CEC
[Zeusx]
try to follow this:
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-...ry-pi.html
if you download the latest build, you will find the .txt with available setting to change. Play with them, but try to not burn you pi.

cheers

thanks for the response, guess I'll give openElec a try, just a question: does openElec support 'advancedsettings.xml' ?

cheers
yes
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi,
My setup is a RPi (openElec) with no-brand 8GB sd card, connected using edimax wireless to my NAS (nfs mount).
Everything works great, but every time I play a video (720p/1080p) it takes about 8 seconds to start. afterwards, the playback runs smoothly.
Youtube takes around 15 seconds to start to play. again, afterwards it runs smoothly.
I want to buy another Pi for the living room instead of my PC which functions also as a HTPC (will I notice a difference in the quality of the picture? maybe because of the HDMI connector?)
I want this Pi to run smoothly like in @popcornmix's video.
So I'll buy the Sandisk Cruzer Extreme 8gb and use it as the storage device and connect it using an ethernet cable,
But do I have to buy a higher quality sd card? What I get with my Pi is a no-brand 8gb.
How much impact does the storage partition (usb stick) has, and how much impact does the sd card has over the performance and the delay from when I click the 'play'?
Thanks!!!
(2013-12-11, 22:34)Alonzzo2 Wrote: My setup is a RPi (openElec) with no-brand 8GB sd card, connected using edimax wireless to my NAS (nfs mount).
Everything works great, but every time I play a video (720p/1080p) it takes about 8 seconds to start. afterwards, the playback runs smoothly.
Youtube takes around 15 seconds to start to play. again, afterwards it runs smoothly.
I want to buy another Pi for the living room instead of my PC which functions also as a HTPC (will I notice a difference in the quality of the picture? maybe because of the HDMI connector?)
So I'll buy the Sandisk Cruzer Extreme 8gb and use it as the storage device and connect it using an ethernet cable,
But do I have to buy a higher quality sd card? What I get with my Pi is a no-brand 8gb.
How much impact does the storage partition (usb stick) has, and how much impact does the sd card has over the performance and the delay from when I click the 'play'?

If you install xbmc to USB, then the sdcard is only used for a couple of seconds when booting. Using the smallest (256MB or more is fine), cheapest one is fine.
Wired ethernet should make the videos start quicker than wifi.

The picture quality should be fine. If your current HTPC is connected through digital, then for HD videos it should look identical.
If you are currently using an analogue connection like VGA, then the Pi may well be better.
(2013-12-11, 23:10)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-12-11, 22:34)Alonzzo2 Wrote: My setup is a RPi (openElec) with no-brand 8GB sd card, connected using edimax wireless to my NAS (nfs mount).

If you install xbmc to USB, then the sdcard is only used for a couple of seconds when booting. Using the smallest (256MB or more is fine), cheapest one is fine.
Wired ethernet should make the videos start quicker than wifi.

The picture quality should be fine. If your current HTPC is connected through digital, then for HD videos it should look identical.
If you are currently using an analogue connection like VGA, then the Pi may well be better.

Great, Thanks!
From your experience, will it make a big difference if I'll buy the jetflash/sandisk ultra instead of the sandisk extreme? it's half the priceSmile
(2013-12-11, 23:14)Alonzzo2 Wrote: Great, Thanks!
From your experience, will it make a big difference if I'll buy the jetflash/sandisk ultra instead of the sandisk extreme? it's half the priceSmile

I started with a class 10 sandisk sdcard. I moved to a cheap Sandisk Cruzer Blade 8GB, and felt that was noticably quicker.
The change to the sandisk extreme was less noticable. It's seems a little quicker than the blade, but it wasn't really obvious.

I seem to remember the jetflash got some poor reviews (e.g. http://www.laptopmag.com/review/storage/...h-v10.aspx),
so it may be worth avoiding that one.
In general >=32GB pendrives will perform better then their <=16GB counterparts.

Patriot Supersonic Boost XT USB 3.0 Flash Drive
8GB and 16GB: Up to 90MB/sec Read; Up to 30MB/sec Write
32GB and 64GB: Up to 150MB/sec Read; Up to 30MB/sec Write

btw Anyone tried UHS-I or UHS-II?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x9-9gXtNtw

try that to show the difference between flash drive speeds
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video of latest xbmc code on Raspberry Pi6