Linux FS (file-system) support in XBMC
hey,

i've been messing around with linux on the xbox - it's great! the only problem is that the standard fatx file system is rubbish; eg

short filenames
can't have certain characters (eg brackets) or 8-bit support
and i'm sure there's more....

anyway, as i have my g partition formated for linux under ext3, i thought i would be great if xbmc could access/read it....

any thoughts?
just to add another comment...

how about a linux/debian port of xbmc? Smile
ext3 - probably not, we really don't have enough memory to be loading in extra filesystem drivers. it's possible though (if you can find someone to code it).

linux port of xbmc... basically not going to happen, you'd have to rewrite most of the app, and linux already has plenty of capable media players.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i think i ead some where on the xbox-linux website that in theory it would be possible to hack the xbox fs to support more characters?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
what about fatx 2.0 (there's another threaad)?
Sad 
how difficult would it be to get xbmc to read linux filesystems?

i have a very very large (and well organised) mp3 collection - but almost all of the file/folder names don't comply with the xbox-filesystem confines.

dave
use the ccxstream streaming software on your linux box and you can share your organized file structure.
--jaga
running a samba server on your linux box would be a good way to i dunno if you're familar but samba can be helpful for a multitude of other reasons as well.
yes, but a little hard to run linux + xbmc at the same time...
what the initial post asked was if xbmc could support linux filesystem.

i'm no dev, but that looks like a hard thing to accomplish when i think about it, but maybe someone knows better?

great suggestion. i need support for any other filesystem that supports more than 42 chars and files bigger than 3.96 gb.

sincerly,
granqvist
i think jaga and kinghowdy0 missunderstod your initial post (as i did) as reading that, one got the impression you had a linux pc/computer for streaming, and only after reading your second post is it clear that you actually running xbox-linux on your xbox and have a linux partition on it.

i very much doubt that any xbmc devs are interested in taking on the challangle of adding linux-filesystem support to xbmc.
yeah... sorry - i wasn't very clear.

my problem is that i don't have a pc (i have a laptop, but it's sometimes left at the office, etc)... so i'm using the xbox to store all my mp3's - otherwise, i'd just stream the stuff off the pc.

i figured it wouldn't be that big a task, since the linux fs is well documented, and the driver code is open source... i guess it really depends on whether the xbmc developers virtualised the devices properly, or are just relying on the underlying xdk for file read/writes.

dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux FS (file-system) support in XBMC0