Cheap but powerful alternative to the Raspberry Pi?
I will try booting from a USB stick. Can i just clone the SD card to a USB? Then how do i make it boot from the USB instead of the card?

I already have it overclocked. If i remember correctly I'm running at the second from the highest out of the recommended overclocks in the config file.

I have a "Movies" folder with every movie in there. They are all MKV's and there are no other files in that folder, any subs are within the MKV package.

I'm using AFP (Apple) shares to share my media. I have a FreeNas server so i can easily switch between Apple, Windows, UNIX and DLNA shares. Which would be best for my setup?

Thanks!
I use raspbmc so to run on USB I just selected USB install at the start I'm not sure how its done on openelec but it shouldn't be difficult.

If I was you I'd try NFS for me it doubled my rate over smb once I'd configured it right!

But to be fair using a USB install with a decent overclock and NFS with standard settings should get you much better results. Maybe also put force_turbo=1 in your config file. It voids your warrentu but your pi stays overclocked all the time rather than kicking in when needed
Yes i tried RaspBMC but i found OpenElec performed better. Has RaspBMC taken back the lead now?
Am I best just doing a fresh install then?

Ok i will enable NFS shares and see what's what. Smile

Thanks!
(2013-09-30, 14:52)Chris230291 Wrote: Yes i tried RaspBMC but i found OpenElec performed better. Has RaspBMC taken back the lead now?

Thanks!

I use RASPBMC for ease of use, i.e. I can overclock within the xbmc settings so no need to modify the config file.

I think openelec is still the better performer, but I find raspbmc stable and easy to use.

To get the most out of your pi try the Rbej builds you can find them in the raspberry pi forum they look very good
(2013-09-30, 10:00)Chris230291 Wrote: Most of my movies are ripped (DVD and BD) using MakeMKV (zero compression), so the files as just as big as they are on the disks. I store them on a home server and stream them to my PI (via Ethernet), so maybe that's what causes the sluggishness? A Blu Ray movie takes about 10 seconds to load and sometimes the playback looks a little choppy like it's dropping frames.

I assumed a more powerful device would never drop frames and load the files faster.

I think that is a display sync issue. Make sure "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" is enabled.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Videos
(2013-09-30, 15:05)goujam Wrote:
(2013-09-30, 14:52)Chris230291 Wrote: Yes i tried RaspBMC but i found OpenElec performed better. Has RaspBMC taken back the lead now?

Thanks!

I use RASPBMC for ease of use, i.e. I can overclock within the xbmc settings so no need to modify the config file.

I think openelec is still the better performer, but I find raspbmc stable and easy to use.

To get the most out of your pi try the Rbej builds you can find them in the raspberry pi forum they look very good

Arh OK fair enough Smile
I'll look into that, thanks.

(2013-09-30, 16:55)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-09-30, 10:00)Chris230291 Wrote: Most of my movies are ripped (DVD and BD) using MakeMKV (zero compression), so the files as just as big as they are on the disks. I store them on a home server and stream them to my PI (via Ethernet), so maybe that's what causes the sluggishness? A Blu Ray movie takes about 10 seconds to load and sometimes the playback looks a little choppy like it's dropping frames.

I assumed a more powerful device would never drop frames and load the files faster.

I think that is a display sync issue. Make sure "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" is enabled.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/Videos

Ok. I just saw that with my fresh install , i was tempted to check it. It'll do that.

Honestly it does seem quicker through the menus now it runs from a USB stick. At the moment i see no reason to upgrade. Thanks guys!

I am having problems getting XBMC to see my NFS share though. When i click on the option in add files it doesn't find it. Any ideas? I remeber before i had to manually type in the address for my AFP share, how do i do that with NFS?

Cheers fellas!
On mine I can use xbmc to navigate to my folder and select it. What about smb can you navigate to your files that way ?
If i go to zeroconf i see all SAMBA, AFP and even my FireFly server. If i go into UPnP i can see my DLNA service. It appears thatthe problem is with NFS. Now i have no NFS experience so perhaps i have it set up incorrectly on the server?

Here's my settings for the NFS service...

And for my share...

Can you see anything in there that could be wrong?

Installed another update by the way. 3.2.1 now.
(2013-09-30, 18:59)Chris230291 Wrote: If i go to zeroconf i see all SAMBA, AFP and even my FireFly server. If i go into UPnP i can see my DLNA service. It appears thatthe problem is with NFS. Now i have no NFS experience so perhaps i have it set up incorrectly on the server?

Here's my settings for the NFS service...

And for my share...

Can you see anything in there that could be wrong?

Installed another update by the way. 3.2.1 now.

Sorry I don't know much about those settings I have a ready nas duo and it had NFS running so no setting up.

Why not try smb and see what the performance is like
Ok no worries. I did see this when researching all three methods though... "AFP offers significantly faster read/write performance than SMB or NFS" So it would appear i was already using the "best" method?
Chris230291,

I would stick with the Rpi. Having tried all XBMC builds RaspBMC is the best IMO, it is trivial to setup/install, easy to configure advanced options for overclocking/Codecs etc. looks amazing at 1080P. This Rpi has now replaced an Nvidia Ion box in the Movie Room driving a Sony AV Amp and a Full HD Projector @ 1080P onto our 120" Screen and plays everything we can throw at it perfectly, from Full BD50 Rips @ c.45GB to simple TV Episodes @ 150MB. Live TV and recordings via MythTV Backend works perfectly HD or SD although we really only use Live TV occasionally (Big sporting events MotoGP/F1 etc.) And all this from 5W of power. Truly awesome.

Tips for speeding up.

Install to a good quality fast USB Stick (probably the biggest gain in performance)
Use simple overclocking from the menus and set to Fast. (In the UK seems to work fine and no overheating issues) You can push much further than we have using advanced overclocking but works great for us so not needed!
Use a good quality HDMI Cable

Sam is on the ball with the latest developments to the base code and updates are rapid and quality.

If I can help let me know. Just bought another Rpi to replace an XbmcBuntu client. 35GBP inc. 8Gb SD card and Clear Acrylic case. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151126663618?s...1439.l2649

Cheers
Spart
6 x Raspberry Pi Model B & B+ Pi2 & 3 Zotac Mag Ubuntu 14.04.1 - Ubuntu 14.04.1 Test Machine Kodi Nightly - RocketNAS 8TB Usable Raid 6 Ubuntu 14.04.1 RocketNAS Build
Do Raspbmc nightly builds include the latest performance patches? I thought Raspbmc nightlies mainly included commits to xbmc master, and not development patches, so are unlikely to include these latest performance patches for some time to come.

If you want to test the performance patches you'll need to try the OpenELEC build linked in the video thread, or one of rbej's OpenELEC development builds as these include development patches.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-09-30, 19:21)Chris230291 Wrote: Ok no worries. I did see this when researching all three methods though... "AFP offers significantly faster read/write performance than SMB or NFS" So it would appear i was already using the "best" method?

As I say for me NFS gave me 11MB/s which is good considering max is 12MB/s
(2013-09-30, 19:21)Chris230291 Wrote: Ok no worries. I did see this when researching all three methods though... "AFP offers significantly faster read/write performance than SMB or NFS" So it would appear i was already using the "best" method?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AFP
"XBMC has AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) client support for media on all platforms. We don't recommend using it, as AFP support in XBMC is very buggy right now."

NFS is best.
(2013-09-30, 19:41)MilhouseVH Wrote: Do Raspbmc nightly builds include the latest performance patches? I thought Raspbmc nightlies mainly included commits to xbmc master, and not development patches, so are unlikely to include these latest performance patches for some time to come.

If you want to test the performance patches you'll need to try the OpenELEC build linked in the video thread, or one of rbej's OpenELEC development builds as these include development patches.

Latest raspbmc nightly does include the performance patches

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap but powerful alternative to the Raspberry Pi?0