Cheap but powerful alternative to the Raspberry Pi?
(2013-10-01, 00:43)goujam Wrote: Latest raspbmc nightly does include the performance patches

No they don't yet. I believe Sam is building with the patches as we speak...
(2013-10-01, 00:45)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-10-01, 00:43)goujam Wrote: Latest raspbmc nightly does include the performance patches

No they don't yet. I believe Sam is building with the patches as we speak...

I stand corrected !
(2013-09-30, 19:22)sparticle Wrote: Chris230291,

I would stick with the Rpi. Having tried all XBMC builds RaspBMC is the best IMO, it is trivial to setup/install, easy to configure advanced options for overclocking/Codecs etc. looks amazing at 1080P. This Rpi has now replaced an Nvidia Ion box in the Movie Room driving a Sony AV Amp and a Full HD Projector @ 1080P onto our 120" Screen and plays everything we can throw at it perfectly, from Full BD50 Rips @ c.45GB to simple TV Episodes @ 150MB. Live TV and recordings via MythTV Backend works perfectly HD or SD although we really only use Live TV occasionally (Big sporting events MotoGP/F1 etc.) And all this from 5W of power. Truly awesome.

Tips for speeding up.

Install to a good quality fast USB Stick (probably the biggest gain in performance)
Use simple overclocking from the menus and set to Fast. (In the UK seems to work fine and no overheating issues) You can push much further than we have using advanced overclocking but works great for us so not needed!
Use a good quality HDMI Cable

Sam is on the ball with the latest developments to the base code and updates are rapid and quality.

If I can help let me know. Just bought another Rpi to replace an XbmcBuntu client. 35GBP inc. 8Gb SD card and Clear Acrylic case. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151126663618?s...1439.l2649

Cheers
Spart

Ok thanks. I think I'll stick with Openelec for now as I've only just done a fresh setup. Besides, a clever sounding chap on youtube reckons its the best version at the moment (video was made September this year).

With regards to the USB stick... Mine seems to unmount randomly, so i have to reboot the system to use it again. Is this likely attributed to a crappy USB stick? What should i look for in a USB stick and how much space is needed?

I'm now running the highest overclock out of the recommended settings on my Pi... I guess I'll see how it goes.

Thanks.

(2013-09-30, 21:01)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-09-30, 19:21)Chris230291 Wrote: Ok no worries. I did see this when researching all three methods though... "AFP offers significantly faster read/write performance than SMB or NFS" So it would appear i was already using the "best" method?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AFP
"XBMC has AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) client support for media on all platforms. We don't recommend using it, as AFP support in XBMC is very buggy right now."

NFS is best.

Ok then. I guess I'll just keep using it until i can figure out why it doesn't see my NFS share.

Thanks!
(2013-10-01, 19:12)Chris230291 Wrote: With regards to the USB stick... Mine seems to unmount randomly, so i have to reboot the system to use it again. Is this likely attributed to a crappy USB stick? What should i look for in a USB stick and how much space is needed?

More likely a power supply issue. If you have another power supply available worth trying it (especially a powerful one for a 10" tablet or similar)
Also possible that, like me you are unlucky enough to have an early generation Pi with polyfuses on the USB supply line (Fuses F2 and F3) - they have since been replaced by 0 ohm resisters. Worth checking out if you have access to a multimeter (supply voltage dropping to 4.75V or below under load or any voltage drop across F2 or F3)
Thanks for the reply mate. I checked mine and I don't have the fuses or resistors... So I guess it's an even later gen and that cant be the problem?
My power supply is an RS one. It says it's good for 5V 1200mA.

I've found a branded USB drive so i will clone the original and try this one.

EDIT: I fixed NFS by simply manually typing in the address. Turns out XBMC doesn't see FreeNas NFS shares for some reason :S
Also, the change in USB drive seems to be working! XD

Thanks again!
(2013-10-01, 21:37)Chris230291 Wrote: Thanks for the reply mate. I checked mine and I don't have the fuses or resistors... So I guess it's an even later gen and that cant be the problem?
My power supply is an RS one. It says it's good for 5V 1200mA.

I've found a branded USB drive so i will clone the original and try this one.

EDIT: I fixed NFS by simply manually typing in the address. Turns out XBMC doesn't see FreeNas NFS shares for some reason :S
Also, the change in USB drive seems to be working! XD

Thanks again!

Sounds like you're getting there now and saved £100, the updates for the pi coming through will make it even better !
It certainly seems that way! Lets hope it does get better,
I'd still like to upgrade the USB drive. I hear USB 3.0 is the way to go even though the controller is 2.0. Can anyone recommend a decent one?

I'm having problems with NFS though. I have a share called "Media" with sub directories called "TV Shows" and "Movies". I added both as separate sources in XBMC but only the Movie one works for some reason. Why could that be?

Chris.

EDIT: I must have played with a setting that i shouldn't have as a factory reset and re-adding the sources fixed my NFS issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap but powerful alternative to the Raspberry Pi?0