New generation Acer RL80 - Celeron 1007U
A Celeron mobile CPU/GPU will not do full 3D. It's been reported to handle SBS 3D however.
What do we mean 'full hd'. If you mean mvc, then xbmc doesn't do it anyway, on any cpu or gpu.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Good point. I didn't read into 3d good enough jet. But from what I understand, Full 3D is a 120hz full HD video with 60 frames per second per eye. The other (on internet very common) format is often called Full 3D SBS. There also seems to exist Half 3D SBS.

From what I understand now, is that the celeron 1007u plays Full 3D SBS ISO files. Is that correct?
(2013-11-08, 22:35)opperhoof Wrote: Good point. I didn't read into 3d good enough jet. But from what I understand, Full 3D is a 120hz full HD video with 60 frames per second per eye. The other (on internet very common) format is often called Full 3D SBS. There also seems to exist Half 3D SBS.

From what I understand now, is that the celeron 1007u plays Full 3D SBS ISO files. Is that correct?

Full HD 3D is where each eye feed has a full 1920x1080 frame (usually for movies this is at 24 fps - not 60). Often MVC coding is used for this, where one eye feed is compressed using standard H264 (and will play in 2D), with the other eye feed compressed much more as a difference signal (i.e. just encoding the difference between that eye and the eye that has been H264 compressed) The result is two 1920x1080 Full HD frames for each "frame" - but the compression can take a lot of advantage of the fact that the images for each eye have a lot of common information. This is the approach taken by most 3D Blu-rays. (So rather than thinking of it as a 1920x1080 48fps stream - it is a 1920x1080 24fps stream with an additional 1920x1080 24fps "eye difference" stream. The HDMI output from a 3D Blu-ray is effectively 1920x1080 at 48fps - though it is 'frame packed' I believe so it isn't quite that simple - it is more like a 1920x2160 24fps sequence I think in signal terms)

Side-by-Side 3D is where each 1920x1080 eye feed is halved in horizontal resolution, to create 2 x 960x1080 frames, which are merged side-by-side to create a single 1920x1080 frame (which looks like two squashed pictures next to each other if replayed in 2D). This can be treated just like any other 1920x1080 video signal and can be treated and compressed/replayed as if it is a standard 2D signal. This is the approach taken by most 3D 1080line broadcasts (as it can use existing receivers and passes through the broadcast chain in the same way as 2D video)

There is also Top/Bottom video where instead of reducing the horizontal resolution, the vertical resolution is reduced instead. I believe this is more common with 720p source material - so you end up with 2 1280x360 feeds on top of each other.

The reason SBS is common for 1080 and TB more common for 720 is that 1080 line video can often be interlaced, whereas 720 line video is always progressive in the real world.

(1080i SBS gives you 1920x540 fields, which equate to 960x540 eye fields (kind of matched resolution wise). If you used Top Bottom with 1080i you'd end up with 1920x270 fields which would be very unbalanced…)

My understanding is that Celerons only have the basic Intel HD graphics, which only copes with standard H264 content. 3D SBS H264 is indistinguishable from 2D H264 content - so the Celeron doesn't 'know' it is handling 3D content.

The Celerons don't handle 3D MVC content (which requires two streams to be decoded and is different to standard H264 content). XBMC doesn't handle MVC either though - so the point is moot for XBMC (though not if you are running a Windows Blu-ray player). I'm also not sure if Celerons can handle frame packed HDMI output (which is used for carrying 3D content as 3D content over HDMI)
Which Intel processors can handle mvc?
Btw, do you know a page where anyone can check which cpu has which igp?
(2013-11-10, 15:48)pszab Wrote: Which Intel processors can handle mvc?
Btw, do you know a page where anyone can check which cpu has which igp?
I may be wrong, but I believe that only Celeron and Pentium IGPs (which I think are branded "Intel HD Graphics") don't have support for MVC in the Intel family. These CPU/IGPs also don't have support for Intel Quicksync Encoding.

AIUI any of the Sandy/Ivy Bridge and Haswell Core i3/i5/i7 which have "Intel HD xx00 Graphics" (i.e. HD2000, HD2500, HD3000, HD4000, HD 4600 etc.) support MVC decoding. (There are a very few Core i series CPUs which don't have on-board GPUs though) They also have support for Quicksync Encoding.
Any Acer Revo RL80 owners can share their video settings?
both xbmc settings and graphic settings on windows?
Compared to my wdtv live hub, i'm not satisfied with the picture quality.

I have and i3 version
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HN...d_i=468294
Picture quality on VLC or Media player classic is even better and there is even not occasional stutter in video playback
(2013-10-01, 11:24)Piers Wrote:
(2013-09-30, 23:16)milli Wrote: In the US lenovo q190 is much cheaper than this one with similar specs(barring bluetooth)

In the US everything is cheaper, in the UK the Q190 is £200+ ($340)

You make pounds we make dollars.

Apples and oranges dude.

We both have very similar purchase power.
(2014-04-11, 18:51)firetix Wrote: Any Acer Revo RL80 owners can share their video settings?
both xbmc settings and graphic settings on windows?
Compared to my wdtv live hub, i'm not satisfied with the picture quality.

I have and i3 version
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HN...d_i=468294

I'm running the Celeron 1007U version with one of the OpenElec nightlies that have VAAPI GPU decoding + YADIF 2x CPU de-interlacing (which delivers full 50/60p output for 50/60i native content)

I'm feeding via an Onkyo AVR to a Sony Bravia Full HD TV via HDMI.

Have it configured for DD/DTS/DD+/True HD/DTS HD pass through, adjust refresh rate to match video on start stop, and the option which drops/dupes audio to match video. Have my video defaults set to de-interlace AUTO (so it only de-interlaces content flagged as interlaced) and the de-interlace mode to be "De-interlace" (which will use YADIF 2x).

Works pretty well for me - and plays 24/50/60Hz content at 24/50/60Hz refresh rate.
Thank.

But it seem that i'm missing some settings somewhere.

When i play a movie, sometimes it seems there a jitter in the playback.
Its as if the video pause for 1.5 seconds and resumes.

I don't have this problem if i use windows media player classic.
(2013-11-08, 20:06)nickr Wrote: What do we mean 'full hd'. If you mean mvc, then xbmc doesn't do it anyway, on any cpu or gpu.

Launching an external player on Windows gets no respect I tell ya, no respect Smile.
Actually what i really meant was "full 3d", but I think people got my drift.

As for launching an external player, this seems to be pretty well the only use case for that these days. I wonder if I can install windows inside virtualbox and launch that as an external player?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New generation Acer RL80 - Celeron 1007U1