New generation Acer RL80 - Celeron 1007U
Reports are that it works fine under OpenElec 3.2.2 Intel x64 build. I'm assuming with a standard MCE remote (or Harmony pretending to be one.) - I think you may have to fiddle to get the Acer-supplied remote to work.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-ente...-rl70.html

With the right BIOS configs you can resume from shutdown or standby by remote. (You may not be able to power up from a cold start this way as I mentioned above)
Excellent, I've just agreed to purchase an IR assembly from the gentleman on avforums. Sounds pretty easy to install so I'm hopeful that will solve my last little niggle with the RL80. This will turn out to be an excellent purchase and quite the bargain once i get my cashback.
(2013-10-09, 11:00)1981suede Wrote: Excellent, I've just agreed to purchase an IR assembly from the gentleman on avforums. Sounds pretty easy to install so I'm hopeful that will solve my last little niggle with the RL80. This will turn out to be an excellent purchase and quite the bargain once i get my cashback.

I've bought one already from the chap on AVForums - arrived today. Doddle to fit, and is working out of the box with OpenElec 3.2.2, including the MCE power button.

Really makes the Revo a neat solution.
If you are in the US and have Fry's nearby you can buy RL80-UR23 (1017U/4GB/Windows) for $248. It works out to be cheaper & better than Q190 as it also comes with bluetooth, wireless keyboard/mouse and a DVI port.

(2013-10-01, 13:52)noggin Wrote:
(2013-10-01, 11:17)Thebluevoice Wrote: Hello all,

I have a few questions about this box:

I presume this will have the usual slight problems with 24p?

Yes - presume so. It's an Ivy Bridge Celeron AIUI - and the 24p stuff has only been finally fixed in Haswell.

From what I read haswell continues to have issues with 24p whereas it seems to be fixed in ivy bridge. i don't have haswell, but I know the videos(24p) that didn't play on Sandy Bridge work fine on Ivy Bridge
(2013-09-30, 22:40)Eeeyore Wrote: Hi mate, i got the exact same deal (from Ebuyer), and have had a bit of a mare with it so far. If you're prepared to spend a bit of time setting it up, i think its a nice little unit. The documentation for the unit in the box is worse than useless/non-existent, the driver disc doesn't work, there doesn't appear to be any drivers on it!

I booted mine up, got the freedos screen up, and after having made a bootable USB stick with my genuine Win7 disc, inserted it into the USB port, rebooted it and waited. The RL80 started, then promptly completely ignored my USB stick, (yes, i'd changed the boot sequence in the BIOS), and started FreeDos again. Tried again in a different USB port, no different. Tried 4 different USB sticks, to no avail. Friend of mine lent me his external DVD drive, plugged that in, and it fired up straight away, and installed Win7.

Next the drivers, put the Acer Driver Disc in the external drive, the installation software started up, i clicked the large green 'drivers' button, and it displayed ....nothing, not a single driver.

After visiting Acers website, the only drivers available for the RL80 were for the Intel i3 version, so i downloaded them anyway, unzipped them (WinRAR), and installed as many as i could. I then downloaded XBMC, installed it, started the software, and got a black screen with an error message saying 'ERROR, unable to start GUI'. After checking this forum, a few people have had similar problems, and the concensus is to change your video driver. Again, Acers website was useless, but the Intel website, bore fruit. Checked on their graphics driver pages, found my chipset/device, and downloaded the driver. Installed it, rebooted, started XBMC and up it came, straight away.

Thats all i've done with it so far, but patience and determination is paying off, i didn't realise it has bluetooth (again, sort out the drivers, the ones from the Acer website for the expensive version they tout on there), it's starting to shape up nicely.

On a by note, i thought i'd made the USB sticks wrong, (when i made them bootable), tried several methods, then went back to google, asking why my 'bootable' USB sticks, won't boot up this PC. Several answers said try it with Partition Magic, which i downloaded, tried to use it, and a box pops up saying 'this software is not compatible with Windows 7. I then uninstalled it, and halfway through the uninstall process, my screen goes black, and PC will not restart. Turns out it had wiped out the bootsector on my harddrive (on my main PC), now reporting my 500Gb HDD as a 100Mb drive. Not happy in the slightest. At least it's my birthday today....Angry

I think your problem is your OS choice. Linux will configure all these things out of the box. (It may not fix the usb boot of course. )
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-26, 23:49)milli Wrote: From what I read haswell continues to have issues with 24p whereas it seems to be fixed in ivy bridge. i don't have haswell, but I know the videos(24p) that didn't play on Sandy Bridge work fine on Ivy Bridge

There are driver issues within Windows I believe - but these are a separate issue. I'm using OpenElec (a Linux-based distro) so this isn't an issue for me.

The issue with Clarkdale, Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Intel GPUs is that the GPU won't output 23.976Hz refresh rate precisely, and that is required for clean replay of most "24p" material. It comes close but doesn't do it perfectly, so you end up with repeated/dropped frames - which some people notice more than others.

Haswell has fixed this, so in theory you shouldn't see any frame drop/repeats as a result.
(2013-10-27, 12:38)noggin Wrote: There are driver issues within Windows I believe - but these are a separate issue. I'm using OpenElec (a Linux-based distro) so this isn't an issue for me.

The issue with Clarkdale, Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Intel GPUs is that the GPU won't output 23.976Hz refresh rate precisely, and that is required for clean replay of most "24p" material. It comes close but doesn't do it perfectly, so you end up with repeated/dropped frames - which some people notice more than others.

Haswell has fixed this, so in theory you shouldn't see any frame drop/repeats as a result.

Hi noggin,
What about Bay-Trails?
(2013-11-01, 13:54)pszab Wrote:
(2013-10-27, 12:38)noggin Wrote: There are driver issues within Windows I believe - but these are a separate issue. I'm using OpenElec (a Linux-based distro) so this isn't an issue for me.

Hi noggin,
What about Bay-Trails?

No idea - are they in the wild yet?
There isn't on the retail market yet (desktop versions, just announced some itx mb) but I think there are test versions and already should be info about it. Someones know the asnwer Smile
(2013-10-27, 12:38)noggin Wrote:
(2013-10-26, 23:49)milli Wrote: From what I read haswell continues to have issues with 24p whereas it seems to be fixed in ivy bridge. i don't have haswell, but I know the videos(24p) that didn't play on Sandy Bridge work fine on Ivy Bridge

There are driver issues within Windows I believe - but these are a separate issue. I'm using OpenElec (a Linux-based distro) so this isn't an issue for me.

Is your claim based on your experience or based on other sources?

According to this anandtech's review with Ivy bridge there would be a 1 frame drop every 4 minutes or so and says haswell fixed it. But however in the video posted it shows 1 frame drop every 14 minutes and other videos also had frame drops at different frequencies as well. Also in the testing the display refresh rate is set to 24HZ. If your TV does not support 24HZ(most support 59/60HZ I believe) refresh rate even this claim may not be applicable.
Very good price seeing as its an upgrade from the 3610 that when new was over twice the price! Think I might buy this to add HD audio pass through and relegate the 3610 to the bedroom box.
(2013-11-01, 19:21)milli Wrote: Is your claim based on your experience or based on other sources?

Experience for Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge (and Clarkdale for that matter) - I see the frame repeat/drops but I can live with them. Haven't bothered to time them. Reports from people and sites I trust for Haswell suggest it is fixed - though I have yet to see this with my own eyes.

Quote:According to this anandtech's review with Ivy bridge there would be a 1 frame drop every 4 minutes or so and says haswell fixed it. But however in the video posted it shows 1 frame drop every 14 minutes and other videos also had frame drops at different frequencies as well. Also in the testing the display refresh rate is set to 24HZ. If your TV does not support 24HZ(most support 59/60HZ I believe) refresh rate even this claim may not be applicable.

My TV supports 23.976/24Hz with no problems (it is a Sony with 24p True Cinema and doesn't add the horrible 3:2 when fed a native 23.976/24Hz source - it displays it at 48Hz I believe - but there isn't any flicker because of the constant CCFL backlight)

I believe Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge/Clarkdale may also have issues with 59.94Hz support as well.
(2013-11-03, 14:08)noggin Wrote:
(2013-11-01, 19:21)milli Wrote: Is your claim based on your experience or based on other sources?

Experience for Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge (and Clarkdale for that matter) - I see the frame repeat/drops but I can live with them. Haven't bothered to time them. Reports from people and sites I trust for Haswell suggest it is fixed - though I have yet to see this with my own eyes.

Quote:According to this anandtech's review with Ivy bridge there would be a 1 frame drop every 4 minutes or so and says haswell fixed it. But however in the video posted it shows 1 frame drop every 14 minutes and other videos also had frame drops at different frequencies as well. Also in the testing the display refresh rate is set to 24HZ. If your TV does not support 24HZ(most support 59/60HZ I believe) refresh rate even this claim may not be applicable.

My TV supports 23.976/24Hz with no problems (it is a Sony with 24p True Cinema and doesn't add the horrible 3:2 when fed a native 23.976/24Hz source - it displays it at 48Hz I believe - but there isn't any flicker because of the constant CCFL backlight)

I believe Ivy Bridge/Sandy Bridge/Clarkdale may also have issues with 59.94Hz support as well.

So is it fair to say if you don't have a TV which can handle 24p, haswell really doesn't matter?
Assume it is this deal

http://www.ebuyer.com/525101-acer-revo-r...-spnek-002

Is it silent? I urrently have an e350 setup and considering upgrading - would this be much if any of an upgrade. Would lose the bluray drive but guessing Openelec would handle an external usb one?
I am interested in the RL80 as well, especially due to the low price. But, I want it to be future proof. So it must be able to play full HD SBS 3D, and I would prefer that it plays full 3D.

Is this device capable to this this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New generation Acer RL80 - Celeron 1007U1