Can I play true-hd and other HD audio formats
I currently have an asus P5N7A-VM motherboard hooked up to a Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver. Currently all my mkv media is stored as .ac3 audio in the mk container. I am wondering if the hardware i have can play true HD, and if not, what hardware in the PC can i upgrade to passthrough the HD audio?

As a side question, is it possible to keep the THD audio and a AC3 core incase this media is played on a device that doesnt understand true hd? example i guess is (eac3to.exe <source> 1) 2: audio.thd+ac3 from what i read.
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
Yes you can, it depends on the GPU/sound card. If you're current GPU doesn't support it (its oldish) a current low end nvidia GPU will. Xbmc can handle multiple audio tracks.
I believe that if you set things up correctly in XBMC under the audio section, you don't have to worry about keeping multiple audio tracks in the manner in which you described. XBMC will either output TrueHD as PCM or transcode it to AC3.
Well I think I need to upgrade the hardware in my htpc. Is there a cheap card that will solve this someone can recommend. I'm guessing nvidia over ati.

Also my comments for both tracks were only so that files are compatible with a legacy system that cannot playback true HD. I should mentioned I have a raspberry pi as well. I need to check if that can play HD audio tracks.
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
Geforece GT 610 work in Linux for will HD video and audio?
Yes.
Tried to install the card last night, no luck. No matter how I setup the bios or output the video the signal kept coming out of the onboard video never the new card. This includes the bios and post screen. Not sure if the card is not compatible with my board or if the cool max cm-300 doesn't give it enough power but right now its as if my PCIE isn't working. The fan on the GPU is running.
In bios set Primary GPU to PCIe.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for the top but I have tried this. I believe the setting in my bios was to disable igpu if another one was detected. In set that as well as to check from pcie first. Still no luck.
I assume even an underpowered GPU should show a bios and post screen. I'm thinking my board is messed up. Just wondering if all this effort is worth HD audio?
Its always worth updating the board bios to latest (if you havent done so already) also you would then connect the HDMI cable to the new video card disconnecting the onboard totally. I dont think its possible for video output to be using onboard video if its disabled both in bios and disconnected. Under the system when loaded I would reinstall the video drivers/settings and ensure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (i fit exists for old card) is renamed for now.

Make sure the card is properly seated in its slot and that thers no dust in the pci-e slot also.

If its worth HD audio or not only you can decide which I presume it must be since you have a receiver?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I play true-hd and other HD audio formats0