Android Subtitle Plugin Windows Share
All, I am having an issue with the subtitle plugin running on an android tv box. I will describe my layout then the issue. I have a Windows 2012 server running in a domain with a folder shared for my Movies and TV Shows. I have 2 XBMC systems one running on Windows 8 joined to the domain and another running on an Android TV box running 4.2.2. The Windows 8 is running Frodo and the Android box is running Pre-Gotham to achieve the hardware decoding. Now on to the issue. I can install the subtitle plugin on both systems. When watching content from the server share it will play without issue and also show the subtitles if they were previously downloaded but for the ones that do not have a subtitle previously downloaded the android box will display the subtitles available and when selected one for download it will say it is downloading but never does. On the windows box it works without issue. Both are using the same domain account for the SMB network connection. If a movie is copied locally to the android box it will download and show the subtitle without issue. I do not know if this is an android problem or an XBMC problem or a subtitles plugin issue. Please help as I am wanting to get more of the android boxes but cannot as my wife is hearing impaired and this is a real deal breaker. By the way I have also tried running Frodo on Android and the subtitles plugin has the same issue with Frodo on Android. If this is a bug in XBMC that needs to be looked at please tell me where to post a bug. One final thing I have to setup a manual smb connection to my server share as when browsing the network when I see my domain and then select my server I get an operation error. Cannot remember the exact error. Don't know if this could be the issue with the plugin but the manual smb connection works fine for displaying content.
I have pulled my xbmc.log file and copied the pertanent areas that appear to be the issue but the share is wide open so I am unsure what else to check. Like I said before I can play any of the files fine from the server so it at least has read rights but how else can I test write rights. Like I said before my windows xbmc system seems to run just fine.

19:32:10 T:1943634456 DEBUG: ### [XBMC Subtitles-utilities] - vfs module copy /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/script.xbmc.subtitles/sub_tmp/1953716801.srt -> smb://192.168.1.10/crood/The Croods.en.srt
19:32:10 T:1943634456 WARNING: FileSmb::OpenForWrite() called with overwriting enabled! - smb://xbmc:[email protected]/crood/The%20Croods.en.srt
19:32:10 T:1943634456 ERROR: static bool XFILE::CFile::Cache(const CStdString&, const CStdString&, XFILE::IFileCallback*, void*) - Failed write to file smb://192.168.1.10/crood/The Croods.en.srt
19:32:10 T:1943634456 DEBUG: CSmbFile::Close closing fd 10001
19:32:10 T:1933975792 NOTICE: Opening Subtitle stream: 0 source: 1024
19:32:10 T:1933975792 DEBUG: CSmbFile::Open - opened crood/The Croods.en.srt, fd=-1
19:32:10 T:1933975792 INFO: FileSmb->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://xbmc:[email protected]/crood/The%20Croods.en.srt'
unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'
19:32:10 T:1933975792 ERROR: bool CDVDPlayerSubtitle::OpenStream(CDVDStreamInfo&, std:Confusedtring&) - Unable to create subtitle parser
19:32:10 T:1933975792 WARNING: bool CDVDPlayer::OpenSubtitleStream(int, int) - Unsupported stream 0. Stream disabled.
19:32:10 T:1922883904 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity1 - was:4007184.636641, should be:4260363.899523, error:253179.262882

This does not seem to be an issue when the movie is local to the android box. Is there a syntax issue somewhere when it is trying to write to the smb share?
It's how you setup smb share. I guess the share has both public / private acess. You need to specified how XBMC access those share. By default XBMC would access as public access and most case it would have only read only permissions. You need XBMC to access those share with write permissions.

Easiest way is to use subtitle folder and specified it in Android device itself. So XBMC would download subtitle files/ write to there instead. And it'd look for subtitle files there instead of the folder media file resides.
Ill give this a shot hopefully tonight.
It does work if the subtitles are going to the device itself but not to the server. I am not sure what you mean by both public and private access. I have the share set for everyone read/write and the ntfs security as everyone read/write. This works fine on Windows but not from the android device. if the subtitles are already downloaded then they play and display correctly. I do not want to have to download the subtitles on every device I have if I move from place to place.
I could be wrong but I think It's network settings. Even you set everyone read/write allowed. Sometimes those android / non-windows client didn't get SID and will be "Anonymous". By default windows policies won't count this "Anonymous" in "Everyone" group. So it won't get write permissions.

In short follow this link and read it. There is solution in that KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278259

OK. I think it's your problem and this is how to solve it.

Open up Local Group Policy Manager.
Expand Computer Configuration
Expand Windows Settings
Expand Security Settings
Expand Local Policies
Select Security Options
Change “Network access: Let Everyone permissions to apply to anonymous users” from Disabled to Enable.
Change “Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares” from Enables to Disabled.
Enter in the share name for “Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously”

Last 2 steps might or might not needed. You're free to try.
That is getting me on the right track but...still not working . Thanks a lot but it still will not download the subtitle still. it will now let me use the Windows SMB option to search for my shares where before I had to do the custom SMB and give it all the options. There is probably still an option not defined.
This is definitely a windows server 2012 and android xbmc issue on new security for server 2012. Windows 7 has no issue with this just server 2012. if anyone has recommendations please let me know
I'm on Windows 8.1 and have the same issue. I was previously on Windows Home Server v1 and subtitles worked fine. I think it has something to do with xbmc struggling to write the subtitles to the smb share for whatever reason. I know that from my device ES File Explorer can write to the smb location without issue.
I think this probably has to do with smbv3 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547

Specifically it looks like a problem with a recent Windows 8.1 & Windows Server 2012 update that causes Printers that write files to a SMB shares to fail. Sounds very similar to XBMC not being able to write a subtitles file to a SMB share. According to Microsoft's words:

"When you scan and send a document from a Multifunction Print (MFP) device by using the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol to a file share on a Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer, the scan file cannot be saved to the file share and you receive an error message indicating that send operation failed.

A fix is scheduled to be included with the upcoming update rollup in November 2013."
http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connec...tocol.html
Hm, this looks like same issue I got, and maybe sharing my problem narrows down the problem area. I opened a thread recently (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=185791)

I'm running XBMC on a G-Box MX2 Android device. I got a Synology DS412+ on which I store my media files. I have identified the NAS paths on my Android device using smb. All works fine, only if I delete a file in XBMC it doesn't actually delete it on the NAS. I have an identical setup on my windows PC, and there an XBMC delete does delete the file on the NAS.

And yep, I got identical subtitle problem you are having (as it can't write the srt on the NAS).

So it does not seem to be a windows server issue (as I'm using a Synology NAS), but a problem with Android and smb. Last reply in my thread indicated it's a known issue with Android/smb, hopefully I'm finding a solution.

Hope you find how to fix this, if I beat you to it (= get the right input from a more experience user) I'll let you know.

Jan P
has anyone found a solution to this yet?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android Subtitle Plugin Windows Share0