Req Save the resume position of a video periodically
This is probably an easy one.

Current situation:
When you stop a video (by pressing 'X') the current position of the video is saved. When you play the video again XBMC asks if you want to resume from this position.

Issue:
The current position of a video is not saved when I quit XBMC (by pressing 'S') or shutdown Windows while a video is playing. Also when Windows freezes, the position is not saved.

Solution:
Save the current position of a video regularly. I would suggest every 10 seconds, or every 30 seconds. That way I never have to search again where I was in my video.

Thanks!
What version of XBMC are you running? Saving the video position when shutting down or quitting XBMC was added to Frodo (v12).
I second this request - my ATV2 still frequently reboots (main Low Memory issues) midway through watching a film and it's frustrating have to guess where you were again. Once a minute would probably be close enough.
It would be cool if it did it automatically every minute or so..in case of crash events....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
You're right: I am running version 12.2 and the position is saved when I quit XBMC. Sorry about that!
I still think this would be a nice feature though. My pc aint so stable anymore so I get quite a lot of random reboots.

Keep up the good work!
Well I would say every 3 minutes is minimum, 10 seconds and 30 seconds is excessive because if the machine is crashing that bad then you really need to look at cause of that and not expect miracles.. As long as the other save points are overwriten and in case of crash that none are lost.

So my fat two thumbs up d d
General philosophy of XBMC is to prevent what is called disk-thrashing, unnecessary writes to the disk that contains XBMC's data. So I would not expect something like this to show up in XBMC's core, but maybe it could be an add-on, or as an advanced setting (maybe).
If I had more time I would think it a logical addition to this maybe:
https://github.com/Memphiz/script.xbmc.unpausejumpback
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
+1 for this.
My use case: XBMC in my car -- when the car turns off XBMC doesn't do a nice shutdown, it just dies so it never saves the resume point of whatever was playing.
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
(2014-01-05, 18:48)bradvido88 Wrote: +1 for this.
My use case: XBMC in my car -- when the car turns off XBMC doesn't do a nice shutdown, it just dies so it never saves the resume point of whatever was playing.

uhm that more sounds like a really really bad situation.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-01-05, 19:04)Martijn Wrote:
(2014-01-05, 18:48)bradvido88 Wrote: +1 for this.

uhm that more sounds like a really really bad situation.

Why? It's been working well for over a year w/ OpenELEC + RPi... OpenELEC is pretty smart about minimizing writes to the SD card and it's never become corrupted -- even after hundreds of hard shutdowns.

It would just be nice to resume from where it left off -- I guess I can probably implement this myself via the JSON-RPC interface. That way it could automatically start the last playing video AND resume at the point when the car was shut off.
+1 for this idea.

I'm using 12.3 on a windows and android platform and there are a multitude of reasons why xbmc doesn't stop in a clean fashion, resulting in un-recorded positions.

I understand and agree with Ned's comment about disk thrashing, but could autosaves at {x second} intervals be placed as a non-gui option as to keep it out of blissfully ignorant hands?
"Disk thrashing" is a pretty extreme term for a simple db update statement every minute or two. The xbmc log file hits the disk harder than that. And if it's in an advancedsetting and off by default, then there's not much to worry about -- any user implementing it will know what to expect.
Would love this feature aswell.
Sometimes my powerlan lost its connection and if I am watching a big movie (> ~20GB) it not just buffers, but loads the next movie instead and I have to search the last position I was watching. And sometimes it's happening only the last few minutes and than it really gets annoying... an as.xml setting would be great!
couldn't this be done with an addon? Just wondering.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Save the resume position of a video periodically0