[Ubuntu] Kernel tuning to minimize traffic overload?
Hi, i have a ubuntu server with 28 clients running xbmc
Problem is, sometimes when there's too many simultaneous connections the server would crash and a physical restart is required.
The server itself is running intel i3
Now, CMIIW, i've heard about kernel tuning that could prevent this from happening..
But i know very little linux... so could anyone give me a hint or two?
Where should i start?
Is it possible to tune it and still allowing them to play 1080p / 720p videos?
Can't believe this.

Is this a windows server?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Its ubuntu 12.10 server....
Have you checked dmesg and the logs to see what is actually crashing?
A number of tuning options can be performed and various settings changed, though this is not for the Linux novice to tinker without reasonably / possibly expect some form of catastrophe to not happen, so keeping that in mind do make necessary backups before proceeding.

Read http://samiux.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/how...buntu.html and yes you shouldn't loose ability to playback 1080 and 720
That list is incomplete and most of those settings perhaps not necessary, but you asked for pointers so I gave you a few.

That article coupled with some research on what the options do as to gain better understanding and thus be more effective is necessary, which is beyond the scope of any thread here which is not XBMC related.

You would be better off in a better active community that handles Ubuntu rather than here, though unfortunately the Ubuntu forums are quite useless in some ways, however they contain tremendous articles one should read upon non the less especially being a novice..

Perhaps you can also consider a low latency kernel as well, you can get them precompiled or compile yourself and then apply whatever tuning that may still be necessary depending on what you done already. This perhaps for when your ready to blow up Galaxies and destroy a sun.
(2013-10-02, 00:00)drivesoslow Wrote: Have you checked dmesg and the logs to see what is actually crashing?

Good point, haven't checked it yet, i'll check it but i'm sure it's crashed when there's a high traffic

(2013-10-02, 00:26)uNiversal Wrote: A number of tuning options can be performed and various settings changed, though this is not for the Linux novice to tinker without reasonably / possibly expect some form of catastrophe to not happen, so keeping that in mind do make necessary backups before proceeding.

Read http://samiux.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/how...buntu.html and yes you shouldn't loose ability to playback 1080 and 720
That list is incomplete and most of those settings perhaps not necessary, but you asked for pointers so I gave you a few.

That article coupled with some research on what the options do as to gain better understanding and thus be more effective is necessary, which is beyond the scope of any thread here which is not XBMC related.

You would be better off in a better active community that handles Ubuntu rather than here, though unfortunately the Ubuntu forums are quite useless in some ways, however they contain tremendous articles one should read upon non the less especially being a novice..

Perhaps you can also consider a low latency kernel as well, you can get them precompiled or compile yourself and then apply whatever tuning that may still be necessary depending on what you done already. This perhaps for when your ready to blow up Galaxies and destroy a sun.

Thanks for this,
I'll try to figure out what the options do
yeah i was going try the ubuntu forums but last time i asked them nobody replied.. :p
Guess I'll try asking them..
Ya Thats why I said Ubuntu forums is useless in some ways, perhaps you can try their IRC channels, when you gathered more information about what's going wrong and have a better idea what's is necessary to tune.But either way a good backup is a must before you start adventuring into this very compelling and satisfying world of tweaking Linux.

++ and try IRC.
Seems to me the most obvious reason is likely to be a dodgy network driver. Much o flinux is reverse engineered because hardware manufacturers are reluctant to provide open source drivers for some drivel laden reason.

28 clients all working at once. I can't be bothered with the math, but your network may be at fault. What total bitrate are you asking this poor server to put through?

What networking protocol (smb, nfs, ftp, http etc) are you using?

As already stated logs should provide some clues, but I'd have to say intel based network hardware usually provides best results (if that is indeed the problem).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Ubuntu] Kernel tuning to minimize traffic overload?0