No Audio from Laptop to TV
I'm newer to xbmc so I'm still trying to learn the ins & outs of using it, so forgive me for any illiteracy.
My apologies for posting a topic that I'm sure has been addressed but I've combed over tons of topics and tried tons of different options but I can't get it to work.

Bear this in mind too... I used to have it set-up and working properly, but I had to reinstall xbmc last night.

Now I'm trying to get audio from my laptop through HDMI to my tv and I'm getting nothing.
I've rebooted XBMC, my laptop, disconnected everything & connected it all again, tried various videos
I can get the audio to come through my laptop just fine.

In System Settings I've tried Analog, HDMI, I've toyed with the Audio output device & Passthrough output device
Here's a ss of my settings:
I have 2 options that are similar in Audio/Passthrough output:
• DirectSound: HDMI - Samsung (Intel® Display Audio)
• WASAPI: HDMI - Samsung (Intel® Display Audio)
And I've swapped them around to every imaginable scenario.

Image[/php]

ANY help would be most appreciated.
I've tried these settings too, and still no luck

Audio ouput: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: Directsound device
What's the laptop? Probably want to disable DD and DTS receivers.
HP

I've had those disabled.... I've have them enabled.....
Its taken entirely too much of my time today
Anyone else using xbmc through an HDMI to their TV? If so can you post your settings? I'm trying everything in all the guides and FAQs on here.
(2013-10-01, 20:23)Irish Flyers Wrote: Now I'm trying to get audio from my laptop through HDMI to my tv and I'm getting nothing.

In System Settings I've tried Analog, HDMI, I've toyed with the Audio output device & Passthrough output device
Here's a ss of my settings:
I have 2 options that are similar in Audio/Passthrough output:
• DirectSound: HDMI - Samsung (Intel® Display Audio)
• WASAPI: HDMI - Samsung (Intel® Display Audio)
And I've swapped them around to every imaginable scenario.

ANY help would be most appreciated.

I just set up my first HTPC too and here's what I found for my simple 2 channel audio system where sound goes over HDMI and outputs via the TV set's speakers:

In XBMC's System > Settings > System > Audio Output (your first picture):
1. Leave "Audio output" set to the default of "Analog".
.... (Setting to HDMI doesn't make any difference for my 2 channel audio.)
2. Set "Audio output device" to "DirectSound:HDMI-SAMSUNG Intel ® Display"
.... This setting is important. The default setting did not allow HDMI audio.
.... I read in another post that with 2 channel sound, WASPI puts the rear channels
.... on the front 2 speakers while DirectSound is normal.

Now in Windows, click CONTROL PANEL > SOUND > PLAYBACK tab:
1. There should be 3 choices. Samsung TV, Speakers (default), and Digital Output.
.... Note that the HDMI cable MUST be connected to the TV set to see the Samsung TV
.... option.
2. Select the "Samsung TV" and then click the "Set Default" icon at the bottom right.
.... The default check mark should move to the "Samsung TV".
3. Click OK.

You should now be able to hear audio via HDMI on your TV set.

Skylark
Much appreciated for the effort and the info skylark, I tried doing what you recommended, but sadly that didn't seem to do the trick...... No sound coming through TV still. Confused

I even closed XBMC and rebooted my laptop, but Nada.
Any other idea'rs
(2013-10-02, 15:45)Irish Flyers Wrote: Any other idea'rs

A suggestion is to troubleshoot your "no audio via HDMI" problem by just playing music using your music player (like Windows Media Player or whatever you use). Don't troubleshoot using XBMC. Put a shortcut to a song on your desktop. Then just click the desktop icon for audio testing.

That's what I did and it made troubleshooting much easier.

When you looked at "Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab", did you see your TV set? If you set the TV set as the default, audio should have been sent to it via HDMI since the "Sound" path in control panel knew the TV set was there and the only connection to it is via the HDMI cable.

If you still don't get audio via HDMI, maybe there's a problem with your motherboard's chipset drivers or the audio driver for your sound card. (When I updated the video driver for my ASRock mobo, the info for that driver said it included the audio driver. I didn't do the update because of audio problems but for a video problem. I went to the ASRock website and found a webpage that scanned my PC for needed driver upgrades. It found that there was an upgrade for the video driver and noted that it included the audio driver. I'm using the motherboard's integrated video and HDMI.)

Skylark
(2013-10-02, 22:29)Skylark Wrote:
(2013-10-02, 15:45)Irish Flyers Wrote: Any other idea'rs

A suggestion is to troubleshoot your "no audio via HDMI" problem by just playing music using your music player (like Windows Media Player or whatever you use). Don't troubleshoot using XBMC. Put a shortcut to a song on your desktop. Then just click the desktop icon for audio testing.

That's what I did and it made troubleshooting much easier.
Yes the Audio works. I can get sound from iTunes songs, Windows Media Player and even through XBMC on my computer.

(2013-10-02, 22:29)Skylark Wrote: When you looked at "Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab", did you see your TV set? If you set the TV set as the default, audio should have been sent to it via HDMI since the "Sound" path in control panel knew the TV set was there and the only connection to it is via the HDMI cable.
Yessir, I did. That's what's in the left corner of that last screenshot I posted. (Probably hard to see, but it's the Control Panel window showing my Samsung TV set as Default.

(2013-10-02, 22:29)Skylark Wrote: If you still don't get audio via HDMI, maybe there's a problem with your motherboard's chipset drivers or the audio driver for your sound card. (When I updated the video driver for my ASRock mobo, the info for that driver said it included the audio driver. I didn't do the update because of audio problems but for a video problem. I went to the ASRock website and found a webpage that scanned my PC for needed driver upgrades. It found that there was an upgrade for the video driver and noted that it included the audio driver. I'm using the motherboard's integrated video and HDMI.)

Skylark
Thanks again Skylark. Your help & tips has been appreciated. Not sure I need to go that route because my TV did at one time play the audio from XBMC. But cause I had to uninstall/reinstall it reset my settings, and now I can't seem to get it to work. So it did work at one point in time.
(2013-10-03, 00:13)Irish Flyers Wrote: Yes the Audio works. I can get sound from iTunes songs, Windows Media Player and even through XBMC on my computer.
You're saying that if you play a song using WMP that the sound goes through the HDMI cable and plays on your TV set?
Hello
Sorry to barge in, but I also have the same problem. Sound ok from music folder, also from Internet sites but not from xbmc. I have the Samsung TV set as default in control panel sound, have tried the audio song in the xbmc system panel, but I don't get the Samsung audio device in that panel. it only shows my laptops speakers. Any help would be appreciated.
Thankyou
Hi. I had the same problem using HDMI lead from laptop to PC. Read the above and used the setting as described. When I went to windows control panel TV was there as previous poster said ti would be. When I used teh configure option I could not hear sound through the TV. I then selected the properties for the TV and there was a tab for 'level'. In here the volume was set to zero. By adjusting the volume here I was able to listen to the sound from the TV.

Thanks for the other posts and hope this is useful to others.
Disable the laptop speakers under the sound on the control panel worked for me Big Grin
Well that worked great, one problem can you please tell me how to re enable my laptop speakers now :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Audio from Laptop to TV0