which Amd APU/chipset for my first htpc
hi community,
like the title says, i'm building my first htpc and decided to go with Amd solely because of cost. that being said, i need some help choosing a cpu that will suit my needs.
my htpc will ONLY be for entertainment, not work(encoding, decoding, etc.). i need it to play/stream hd files(XBMC, 720+1080), internet surfing, and maybe some light browser gaming. 3d support is not needed.
so, back to my question-which Amd Apu will best suit my needs? i'm leaning toward an A6-5400k, but don't know if it's enough? should i consider the A6-6400k? or something smaller like the A4-5300? i think an A8- would be overkill for my needs.
part two of my question-which motherboard, or better said,chipset would be right for me? i heard/read that i should stay away from the A75 and get the A85X-true or false?
i just don't know-please help!!!
For your needs an a4 is more than capable.

However with Kabini around the corner I would buy myself an upgrade path to Kaveri with fm2+ socket. Just a little patience is needed for (thin)mini-ITX motherboards to arrive.
ok, thanks for the quick response. i can't wait for the Kaveri release, i need it now!!! ;-)
i just seen the A6-5400k is only 10euro(13$) more than the A4-5300 :-)

another question-what if i add a blue ray drive? will the A6 playback in full hd from the brd?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
which Amd APU/chipset for my first htpc0