• 192(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
Hi all.

(2014-05-29, 21:04)fritsch Wrote: www.openelec.tv <- give that version a try from usb stick.
Play of bluray not working.

I reinstall XBMCbuntu. And add the next things:
Install script for MakeMkV for Linux and Direct Blu-ray playback with VLC.
And again sound plays with blacksreen.
CPU loading 40-50% while playback.

Here my logs
xbmc@xbmc:~$ dmesg | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7567577/
xbmc@xbmc:~$ cat ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7567578/
xbmc@xbmc:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7567579/
xbmc@xbmc:~$ DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7567580/
xbmc@xbmc:~$ dpkg -l |grep mesa | pastebinit
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7567581/
(2014-05-11, 18:59)fritsch Wrote: We would still need limited color range support.

Please look at this patch I put together for today's OE git pull. It enables full-range RGB 0-255 in the OSS driver via some of the GPU registers. I can now get black and whites correct like the FGLRX when calibrating. Smile Hopefully it fixes your AVR squashing stuff. Obviously you can set it how you like. Just look up the constants [NI_OUTPUT_CSC_TV_RGB, NI_INPUT_CSC_BYPASS] in the ni_reg.h file.

EDIT- fix typos for better playback.
#/home/xbmc/OpenELEC.tv/packages/linux/patches/3.14.5/linux-999.06-drm-radeon-RGB.patch
Code:
--- a/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_display.c
+++ b/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_display.c
@@ -152,8 +152,8 @@
           (NI_GRPH_REGAMMA_MODE(NI_REGAMMA_BYPASS) |
        NI_OVL_REGAMMA_MODE(NI_REGAMMA_BYPASS)));
    WREG32(NI_OUTPUT_CSC_CONTROL + radeon_crtc->crtc_offset,
-           (NI_OUTPUT_CSC_GRPH_MODE(NI_OUTPUT_CSC_BYPASS) |
-        NI_OUTPUT_CSC_OVL_MODE(NI_OUTPUT_CSC_BYPASS)));
+           (NI_OUTPUT_CSC_GRPH_MODE(NI_OUTPUT_CSC_TV_RGB) |
+        NI_OUTPUT_CSC_OVL_MODE(NI_OUTPUT_CSC_BYPASS)));
    /* XXX match this to the depth of the crtc fmt block, move to modeset? */
    WREG32(0x6940 + radeon_crtc->crtc_offset, 0);
    if (ASIC_IS_DCE8(rdev)) {

I will play with it more (the other colors spaces). But for now, colors seem better.

EDIT- NI_OUTPUT_CSC_YCBCR_709 should be the limited range you are looking for? Instead of NI_OUTPUT_CSC_TV_RGB for full.
Hehe, that's nice, yes. Now we only need either a module parameter or even better integration with xrandr. You could talk with agd5f in #radeon channel and ask which way is prefered. I think a method like with the intel driver + xrandr would be very nice.

Thanks much.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Tried some stuff. My Yamaha avr passes through rgb fine as far as I can tell, on another tv (panny plasma)- with the rgb setting from above. I could not get your problem. I have to dig deeper. Crazy stuff with windows driver: Changing pixel format on the plasma remote full/limited makes no change like it auto detects the correct color space.. Wow. Same test on the Linux box with above patch flips greys.. I will have to look deeper into this. Wink. the rgb patch above does allow my Sony lcd to calibrate well.
I updated the patch for better playback fixing a typo: post above. Bad news for limited colors. NI_OUTPUT_CSC_YCBCR_709 and NI_OUTPUT_CSC_YCBCR_601 both display really RED and colors are really off. But NI_OUTPUT_CSC_TV_RGB works really well. I am testing on an AQ01 a4-5000.
MPEG-2 from HDHOMERUN is still hit and mostly miss with hardware acceleration using OSS and Radeon HD5450 for me. Sometimes it will play for a short while and then crash XBMC, most of the time it will immediately crash. Disabling hardware acceleration makes it play, but the particular machine I am using is too weak to decode 1080i in real time it is slightly sluggish taking up all cycles. And yeah, multithreaded

I'm guessing this will never be fixed and I should start looking for cheap used hd6450 which hopefully will work correctly. I am pretty limited to a low tdp for the card that will go in this box so I don't have a lot of choice. It's just disappointing because I moved to radeon from crystalhd because crystalhd support is dying but crystalhd worked flawlessly in this respect I thought there was no way that going to something much more mainstream like a popular htpc radeon card would give me more grief.
Use windows, if you want to keep that hardware.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Mesa packages have been pushed to trusty-updates, the workaround is more likely to add trusty-updates to the sources.list file rather than adding ppa:wsnipex/mesa in order to prevent XBMC from segfault when stopping ?
Is it right ?
Yes.

Edit: wsnipex mesa ppa does not harm. Backports will just upgrade it.
latest mesa updates from ubuntu working nicely, delay in playing when skipping back or forward seems faster from dvb-t2 recordings.
Intel Core i5-11500, ASRock B560M-ITX/ac, 240GB SSD + 4TB  Western Digital Blue, Arch Linux, mythtv 31+fixes + TBS 6205 QUAD FREEVIEW DVB-T2
(2014-06-03, 21:56)deadite66 Wrote: latest mesa updates from ubuntu working nicely, delay in playing when skipping back or forward seems faster from dvb-t2 recordings.

Are you referring to mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64 10.1.3-0ubuntu0.1 ?
yes, he does. They are in proposed for roughly a month and were now merged.
(2014-06-04, 12:30)fritsch Wrote: yes, he does. They are in proposed for roughly a month and were now merged.

Does it mean that we don't need the ppa:wsnipex/mesa anymore?
How can I cleanup my machines?
(2014-06-04, 12:30)fritsch Wrote: yes, he does. They are in proposed for roughly a month and were now merged.

Thanks!Updating now...
(2014-06-04, 12:39)Claudio.Sjo Wrote:

Does it mean that we don't need the ppa:wsnipex/mesa anymore?
How can I cleanup my machines?

you just update your packages. You can also just remove my mesa ppa. No need for purging.
  • 192(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26