• 12(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
I've just updated to the latest set of xbmc, mesa etc.
Latest xbmc, using the video with the two signers, seems to be lazy.
One of the CPU went to 100% and had a couple of break in the video reproduction.
The feeling is that xbmc decides to speed-up the CPU a little bit too late.
Tried twice, same results.
Hi,

thanks for the work with the OSS drivers.

But as my htpc is using 12.04, will most of it work with it? I don't need HDMI audio, and it seems the patches for the kernel address only sound issues.

So by uninstalling fglrx (and unity) I should be fine, right?

Thanks in advance for this great work!

EDIT: I forgot that I have an onboard vga chip, I think the HD3200 series (not sure), is this series also with video acceleration? It should use UVD1 which was never documented right, afaik.
@hal2100: no, it won't work.
(2013-10-08, 12:54)fritsch Wrote: The "Pro" won't help you, when the Input format changes from Full Range ycbr ( default fglrx) to Limited Range (oss radeon). For displaying pictures vdpau is not involved at all.

Btw. it also does not help to trigger that advanced option, as it scales Full rgb to limited RGB and is displayed again as Full.

Two possibilities to fix that: Try to get your Radeon to Full RGB (no idea yet how to do this)
b) set your TV to limited range

Hi

Does the fact that Radeon do not support Full Range YCbCr affects the video quality when reproducing movies? I understand movie format uses Limited Range YCbCr anyway, so I suppose that lack of full range only affects some Video Games and stuff that is based on Full Range RGB... Am I correct?

Is there any other limitation that affects image quality on Radeon (but not on fglrx) Huh. I'm thinking on moving to Radeon, bus as I really don't need digital audio (audio is the weak point of my setup today) and I'm using 13.6 where CPU utilization is not such a huge problem... well, let's say I'm not in a hurry.

Thanks
This is fantastic, got it working so far except one thing missing. My remote doesn't seem to be working properly. I have a generic USB I/R receiver and this exact remote:

http://www.multimediapc.nl/images/MCE%20remote.jpg

The up and down buttons work but very little else. What information do I need to give? Thanks!

Code:
root@xbmc-GA-E350N:/etc/lirc# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 1784:0008 TopSeed Technology Corp. eHome Infrared Transceiver
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 413c:2005 Dell Computer Corp. RT7D50 Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

but

Code:
root@xbmc-GA-E350N:/etc/lirc# modprobe lirc_mceusb2
FATAL: Module lirc_mceusb2 not found.

I used the kernel provided from the link above

Code:
Linux xbmc-GA-E350N 3.11.4 #1 SMP Sat Oct 5 20:37:25 CEST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

was there not a kernel driver for MSE remotes included in that kernel? 0_o
This is promising:

Code:
root@xbmc-GA-E350N:~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps# irw
6c 0 KEY_DOWN /dev/input/event9
67 0 KEY_UP /dev/input/event9
160 0 KEY_OK /dev/input/event9
e2 0 KEY_MEDIA /dev/input/event9

Is it just a question of putting in place the correct keyboard.xml and/or remote.xml in keymappings? I've never been good with that LoL
(2013-10-08, 12:54)fritsch Wrote: The "Pro" won't help you, when the Input format changes from Full Range ycbr ( default fglrx) to Limited Range (oss radeon). For displaying pictures vdpau is not involved at all.

Btw. it also does not help to trigger that advanced option, as it scales Full rgb to limited RGB and is displayed again as Full.

Two possibilities to fix that: Try to get your Radeon to Full RGB (no idea yet how to do this)

Thanks for the answers. I cannot find any settings on my TV saying "limited range". It is a Sony KDL-46EX500 :-(
OK I think i fixed it. A

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure lirc

and selecting “Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)” for remote and "none" for transmitter seems to have done it.

Now if I can only figure out why the youtube plugin shows unmet dependencies Smile
peace fritsch (or anyone else that can answer this question),

on the freedesktop.org site, they suggested we try a patch that was created.

this is the link -- https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=86939

i'm not familiar with how to apply a patch. i read the documentation -- https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation...atches.txt
but i've never seen a patch file before.
can i just copy this document and save it, and then run the patch command to that file? or is there a certain part of that file that is the actual patch?

i'm currently using kernel 3.12 rc4
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
I am away on a business trip until Sunday late. I won't have time to look at anything until then. As i quite often forget important things, remind me next week.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Strange, the thumbnaile of the testpattern look right, i can see all squares with different gary scale, but when i full view the image the 2 top line is total dark.
I did some interesting test on MSI U270 netbook (E-450 APU) + EH-TW3200 projector (connected via HDMI). There is menu item "HDMI Video Range" with options:
- Auto
- Normal
- Expanded
manual says:
"If this is set to Auto and a blackout/whiteout condition occurs, set the video range of the projector to match that of the DVD player. The setting on the DVD player can be either Normal or Expand. Note that if the equipment's DVI port is connected to the projector's [HDMI1] / [HDMI2] input port, Auto is not displayed."

On fglrx driver + XBMC xvba Frodo there are all three options in menu "HDMI Video Range". But on OSS driver + XBMC Gotham there is no "Auto" option.
I made four photos with different settings in the menu. The camera was in manual mode - exposure parameters and focus was fixed for all photos.

1) fglrx driver + XBMC xvba Frodo + Normal HDMI Video Range:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ib6hzisvub7p...normal.jpg

2) fglrx driver + XBMC xvba Frodo + Expanded HDMI Video Range:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ib6hzisvub7p...panded.jpg

3) OSS driver + XBMC Gotham + Normal HDMI Video Range:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ib6hzisvub7p...normal.jpg

4) OSS driver + XBMC Gotham + Expanded HDMI Video Range:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ib6hzisvub7p...panded.jpg

There is no black in picture 2), it's too bright. On the other hand, some grey is going to be black in picture 3). Pictures 1) and 4) are almost identical and look good.
In sum: in my configuration for fgrlx best option is "Normal", for OSS driver - "Expanded".

EDIT: XBMC option "limited color range (16-235)" in 3) and 4) was not active. When I activate it, picture 3) was OK and 4) was too bright.
makes perfect sense. Whatever mode you choose, it must be the same on htpc and display.
Yeah, that was what I told before :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Code:
xbmc@xbmc-GA-E350N:~$ sudo apt-get install libcrystalhd3 firmware-crystalhd
xbmc@xbmc-GA-E350N:~$ sudo reboot

Youtube plugin seems to be working now!

Kernel question: This solution relies on a patched upstream kernel. Much as I like trying experimental kernels that I downloaded from random host sites and running them Smile is there any ETA on when this kernel version (patched or not) will become a part of canonical?
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26