.MKV Playback Issues
Good morning everyone.
I first want to say that I am fairly new to XBMC. I have used it some in the past, but very little. I've been living in Plex world for the past few years, but now I want more and I built a HTPC.

Specs:
Chassis: IN WIN BP655.300TB3L
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI
CPU: AMD A4-4000
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
HDD: 250GB WD Blue 2.5" SATA
Controller: Esky Mini i8 2.4GHz

I am connected via WiFi, with the built-in on the motherboard. My WAP is a Unifi AP (802.11n), and my connect signal is a 5/5 bars according to Windows. With XBMC (12.2), playback is fine with 480p AVI files (which I have very few of). Most of my content is 720p or 1080p .MKV files, with a mix of DTS and AAC audio. When I try to play a 720p .MKV file, XBMC stutters bad. Right from the start, it is stuttering. So bad that I don't hear any audio (where as the 480p is fine with video and audio). It's almost like the playback speed was set to 0.25x, instead of normal 1x. CPU utilization is around 30% when playing these 720p MKVs, but I have not checked the framerate (forgot).

In Windows, I can play the same 720p MKV file via VLC over the network without a problem. Starts instantly, no lag, and CPU is pretty low. So this leave me to believe it has something to do with XBMC settings, but again -- I'm fairly new to XBMC. I found this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

And Section 5: has pointed out the Video Playback settings which I have not touched. Is this where I need to look? Is there something else I should be looking for?

Very basic A/V setup:
HTPC > Sony HT-CT150 (via HDMI) > Philips 47" LCD 120Hz (via HDMI)

XBMC is full screen with resolution of 1920x1080p

Ideas?

Thanks!
Have you checked the "Windows HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)" sticky thread at the top of this section?
(2013-10-04, 16:24)davelr Wrote: Have you checked the "Windows HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)" sticky thread at the top of this section?

Yes I have. I linked to it in my original post. I can only wonder if you read through my original post. Huh

To restate what I previously said, I think something in Section 5 is where I need to be looking, but since I am not at home right now I am looking together any insight and information I can before I get home this afternoon. I guess I am asking for speculative information whether anyone things it's a problem with my build vs XBMC settings (my though), and which settings specifically I need to look at.
It's almost certain that your audio output settings are incorrect - likely by telling XBMC that your sound bar supports a sound format that it doesn't.

Disable all of the sound formats in the settings, and try enabling them one at a time, making a note of which one causes the issue.

From a brief look at the specs of your sound bar, you will probably only be able to enable Dolby Digital and DTS.
(2013-10-04, 16:35)ConfusedTA Wrote: It's almost certain that your audio output settings are incorrect - likely by telling XBMC that your sound bar supports a sound format that it doesn't.

Disable all of the sound formats in the settings, and try enabling them one at a time, making a note of which one causes the issue.

From a brief look at the specs of your sound bar, you will probably only be able to enable Dolby Digital and DTS.

Ah, thanks! I know for a fact that I have DTS-HD and TrueHD checked (I think they were checked from default) and my AVR doesn't support either of those. That can cause my video stuttering issues?

Come to think of it, I do not hear any audio when I playback the MKV file, but I figured it was because the stuttering was so bad.
Fullscreen nede to be enabled and not true fullscreen Windowed in your settings too.
Thank you. I had problem with sound playing garbage for some video files. It looks like XBMC can send unaltered AAC stream directly to TV via HDMI and let TV to decompress it. But my TV could not do that and played it like raw PCM stream... So simple solution is to disable this advanced stuff in XBMC system settings.
Quote:It looks like XBMC can send unaltered AAC stream directly to TV via HDMI and let TV to decompress it.

Nope - we can't.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.MKV Playback Issues0