Linux Friend has old Laptop - hmm - use this for XBMC?
Hi Gents,

My neighbour keeps asking me for dvd copies of my "evaluation" mkv files, and I’m getting tired of burning disks to him :-)
My neighbour is and it-anaalfabet!! but his a great architect :-)

So my idea is to install Ubuntu 12 on a (older) spare-laptop he has, followed by a XBMC installation.
The I can hand him a usb drive from time to time - and get him off my back :-)

Ill do the installation - the set-up, and then disable all automatic up-dates!

Ill fix his WiFi settings, so the laptop is connected to his network!

Is this a way to go - or will I be feed up with maintenance??

Cheers - and thanks in advance
Malmberg
I've always found installing Linux for other people as a bad idea. They should do it themselves, learn during the process. It's much easier to help with issues that may come up later.
Give him OpenELEC. Faster on an older machine & less for him to mess withBig Grin
Seconded for OpenELEC in this situation.

A caveat (and it's the same no matter which OS you go with) is that an older spare laptop probably doesn't have particularly high CPU or GPU capabilities - you'll need to verify it can play back reasonably before giving yourself an alternative headache.

Also, a laptop may be too loud in the TV room, depending on you friend's tolerance for noise while watching stuff. Some people don't mind it, others (such as myself) hate any additional noise.
(2013-10-05, 17:48)doug piston Wrote: I've always found installing Linux for other people as a bad idea. They should do it themselves, learn during the process. It's much easier to help with issues that may come up later.

Thanks - but this is not an option, He can barely switch his iPhone on and off :-)

@ mayoman
Ill give OpenELEC a shot!

@ magao
His laptop is old - and low spec, but Ill try anyway :-). And if the laptop is too noisy - then he must turn the volume up on his TV set!
(2013-10-06, 11:24)Malmberg Wrote:
(2013-10-05, 17:48)doug piston Wrote: I've always found installing Linux for other people as a bad idea. They should do it themselves, learn during the process. It's much easier to help with issues that may come up later.

Thanks - but this is not an option, He can barely switch his iPhone on and off :-)

@ mayoman
Ill give OpenELEC a shot!

@ magao
His laptop is old - and low spec, but Ill try anyway :-). And if the laptop is too noisy - then he must turn the volume up on his TV set!

Thats fine just be prepared to babysit. :p
Just check his GPU before you even start, although booting openelec from a USB stick won't affect his laptop at all, so is a no lose situation. If you don't know his hardware beforehand, choose the generic version of openelec.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Friend has old Laptop - hmm - use this for XBMC?0