Req Add support for NFHLS:// (Netflix Airplay)
Hi all,
Recently Netflix released an update to their iOS application to add official Airplay support. The short of it is that the application appears to use a protocol type, NFHLS:// which is unsupported at the moment. I presume it stands for "Netflix HTTP Live Streaming".

The URL it tries to play is: nfhls://127.0.0.1/index.m3u8|User-Agent=AppleCoreMedia%2f1.0.0.8F455%20(AppleTV%3b%20U%3b%20CPU%20OS%204_3%20like%20Mac%20OS%20X%3b%20de_de)

It gets as far as displaying Netflix episode album art on the screen and the text title of the episode but then does nothing. It dies with the error: "unsupported protocol nfhls://". Frodo added support for general HLS and M3U8.

The iPad then says "video playing on Apple TV".

There's a bug at the moment where the receiver media type is misdetected (reported elsewhere), Once, during testing XBMC was seen only as an audio receiver. When that occurred, Airplay audio did work from the Netflix app which gives me hope for video at some point in the future.

Please let me know if there's any information I can provide to help get this NFHLS:// protocol working.
On the iOS Apple TV side, it seems to require a new update to the ATV software. Whatever new parts were added on the receiving end will probably need to be reverse engineered. If it involves any kind of encryption/DRM, even more so. Once that is done and is open source (some AirPlay stuff that is reverse engineered hasn't been release to open source, like AirPlay Mirroring, IIRC), then it has a chance at being added to XBMC.

Still, exciting to think that we might finally have at least some way to get Netflix into XBMC :) (big maybe)
I am just wondering if anything has been progressed with this yet? Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add support for NFHLS:// (Netflix Airplay)0