does this decrease power consumption
I'm running openelec with USB install. After booted into openelec, I can remove the sd card and it says "successfully removed storage device" and everything still runs nicely. My question is does this lower the total power used by the Pi? I've noticed the stream increases its buffer faster, so I'm assuming the USB Wifi has more power to work with?. Or it might be in my head. Does anyone know?
It will run nicely until you need to reboot. Leave the SD card in the Pi at all times, it will make sod all difference to power consumption (that you can measure, anyway). Pulling the SD card from a running system is not a smart idea.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks Milhouse, I've got overvolatge 8 and sdram overvoltage 8 and using a usb wifi so even a fraction power saved is good. no? why isn't pulling the sd card from a running system not a good idea? I'm going to leave it out and see what happens
powering it down when not using it will save you more than pulling out the card
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
LOL I'm not saving power for cost reasons. I've got

arm 1115
core 579
sdram 700

A usb Wifi... Each time I use this particular addon and press info on a movie. XBMC reboots. Searched around and it seems to be that the Pi for that spilt second is drawing more power than my PSU can dish out. I just noticed that the Pi works fine after I take out the SD card. It should do because its only their to point to the USB. So even if its a really small amount it can be used elsewhere. And I also know it cost under £5 to run the Pi 365 days. So I'm not bothered about electricity cost. Thanks for replying
Get a 2A power supply?!?!

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2013-10-06, 14:47)MediaPi Wrote: Thanks Milhouse, I've got overvolatge 8 and sdram overvoltage 8 and using a usb wifi so even a fraction power saved is good. no?

Assuming removing the SD card makes any difference to power consumption, you're talking about pennies saved over a 1 year period.

(2013-10-06, 14:47)MediaPi Wrote: why isn't pulling the sd card from a running system not a good idea?

A) You might corrupt the SD card
B) You need the SD card to boot the Pi - it doesn't matter if you are "booting" from USB as the Pi must *always* boot from the SD card, but may use other devices - such as USB - later in the boot sequence.

(2013-10-06, 14:47)MediaPi Wrote: I'm going to leave it out and see what happens

One born every minute, I guess. Sad
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-10-06, 14:59)MediaPi Wrote: LOL I'm not saving power for cost reasons. I've got

arm 1115
core 579
sdram 700

A usb Wifi... Each time I use this particular addon and press info on a movie. XBMC reboots. Searched around and it seems to be that the Pi for that spilt second is drawing more power than my PSU can dish out. I just noticed that the Pi works fine after I take out the SD card. It should do because its only their to point to the USB. So even if its a really small amount it can be used elsewhere. And I also know it cost under £5 to run the Pi 365 days. So I'm not bothered about electricity cost. Thanks for replying
You're attacking this from completely the wrong direction. Get the right psu, problem solved.
I also lean toward the view that it is best to get a better power supply, but keeping an eye on power consumption is still a good idea.

I have a pi running from USB and booting from an old, slow 500 MB sd card. It is very stable and boots reliably. Previously, with an 8GB class 10 SD card, and a 4GB class 6 card, I had a bit of instability but frequent trouble booting. I tried several power supplies, all of which should have been satisfactory (including the one that was bundled with the Pi), which did not help. 1A doesn't give you a lot of headroom.

What did help?
- A gold standard, onboard power supply card (about $25), borrowed from my other Pi.
- Using a small, slow SD card.

Considering how little current a Pi is able to use, there seems to be very little attention given to the power consumption of SD cards and USB keys. There is quite a range. I checked several USB keys that reported requirements as low as 50 mA and as high as 300 mA. Respecting SD cards, Wikipedia says:
Quote:The power consumption of SD cards varies by its speed mode, manufacturer and model.
During transfer it may be in the range of 66–330 mW (20–100 mA at a supply voltage of 3.3 V). Specifications from TwinMos technologies list a maximum of 149 mW (45 mA) during transfer. Toshiba lists 264–330 mW (80–100 mA).[72] Standby current is much lower, less than 0.2 mA for one 2006 Micro SD card... Modern UHS-II cards can consume up to 2,88W, if the host device support bus speed mode SDR104 or UHS-II.
CONCLUSIONS
If the standby current of the SD is in the range of 0.2 mA, it seems unlikely that pulling it out would have any impact. Of course, the characteristics of MediaPi's card may be different.
1A doesn't give you a lot of headroom to waste 300 mA on an USB key
If you are using a USB key,
- pay attention to its power consumption
- It makes sense to boot from a cheap, slow, small capacity (and low power) SD card.
Has the F1 polyfuse on the main power input been changed or eliminated on more recent Pis (like the USB F2 & F3 polyfuses)?
Mine used to pull power down like clockwork when I attached a particular USB stick to it (& randomly at other times) until I got annoyed enough to bypass it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
does this decrease power consumption0