Change Download Directories
xbmc on Ubuntu 10.04. Just a general question:

xbmc stores all it's data in .xbmc which is fine for settings but so great for stuff I actually want to find. I have a ~/Videos folder for good reason; I can find stuff in there.

When I open Navi-X and download a program it goes into:

.xbmc/addons/Navi-X/My Downloads/

That's a mouthfull and I had to use find from the terminal to find my downloads.

xbmc itself is similar:

.xbmc/media/

I would like to have xbmc ask me where to download or I would like to have default directories in my ~/Videos (etc) directories.

How do I change where xbmc downloads content?
Symbolic Links.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Thought of that, but was hoping for something a little easier.

If I have 20 addons and they all download stuff to 20 different locations I have to create 20 symbolic links by hand.

I would rather just automatically download everything to the ~/Videos directory.

Also the xbmc file browser doesn't like hidden directories so I have to enter paths by hand even using the gui.

If I could use directories in my home directory I could browse them from the couch with my remote, which is the whole idea.

Reason #2: I am planing on building xbmc boxes for "regular" people who wont know file hierarchies so they would never think to look at the bottom of a hidden file structure.
Then you could try using the path rewrite. But you'd need to rewrite every single custom path.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Wow.

I'll have to sleep on this. I don't want people calling after I sell them a box with: "I just downloaded a bunch of programs and I can't find them." I can't imagine explaining .xbmc/addons/Navi-X/Downloads over the phone to a confused and angry customer.

All user downloads should go into user-accessible directories. The xbmc file browser doesn't even see the .xbmc directory at all.
Might work:

To make the .xbmc directory browsable, create a sym link such as:

ln -s .xbmc Xbmc
Not perfect, but that works.
you do not need to change directories this is simple to fix goto your xbmc file browser and click add source browse source click the home folder you should now see 2 desktop folders 1 with a capital d and 1 with a small d click the 1 with the small d click addons folder click navi-x folder click My downloads folder then click add source job done your downloads are now visable to view and transfer to a usb storage device hBig Grin
Don't resurrect threads that are two years old please.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change Download Directories0