• 33(current)
WIP Discuss improvements for pvr section
Xhaggi. I would still like to see the ability to navigate to the channel closest to the channel number the user typed in, if the typed in number is not an actual channel. This would only be for navigating the EPG and channel list. This seems to be a standard feature in all cable boxes here in the US
@Talguy: I think a lot of people let XBMC number the channels on its own which means there are no gaps in the numbers and thus not possible to jump to the closest one. Personally I would find such a feature confusing, if you e.g. know you have a channel at 200 something and you press e.g. 210, then a channel happens to have that number and it will switch over to it. Hit 211 and it would just move the cursor to that channel. Doing different things based on the same action is usually not a good idea from a user experience point of view.
I have to disagree with the assertion that most people would have XBMC renumber the channels sequentially. almost anyone using XBMC is likely to have previously used a number of other TV products be it free to air or set top boxes, cable boxes, whatever and I dare say in MOST cases people (and particularly their less tech inclined family) would be "used to" the channel numbering from those other devices and would thus be "use backend numbering" in their XBMC setup so the numbers are the same as they've always been.

Regarding the discussed feature I have no opinion either way, I wouldn't really use it personally... but I was just responding to the comment about most people using XBMC sequential channel numbering! Smile
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
I think there are two major camps, one is the one you mention that want to replace their old STB with XBMC but want everything to be exactly the same, thus getting basically no improvement. The other camp sees XBMC as a completely new solution that requires you to change the way you think about using a TV. That's where most of the people I know fall in.

Either way, the feature you talked about certainly wouldn't hurt, but there would likely have to be an option for it so that those that might get confused can disable it.
Lightbulb 
Hi,
wanted to discuss idea of having multiple stream URLs for a one channel on a particular backend.
Background:
I have two IPTV OTT TV providers with almost the same channels.
I watch them over IPTVSimple add-on, and I want to quickly swap them from one to another if, for example, the watching channel starts to stutter. Ideally, it should be possible to do it on-the-fly, without even stopping current playing channel.
Lars sed that "We don't support that combination right now".
I propose to add channels mapping table to the database so multiple stream URLs and backends per channel can be implemented.
There is already commented out prototype of similar table in the sources.
Please, see the comments on a github for details:
Request for several URL's for a channel

So, can we add such a table?
Can I open corresponding case on a github?
Thank you for your attention

PS: By the way, AFAIK, MythTV has such possibility.
IMO stuff like that is the backend's job, many backends already support multiple sources from a single channel.
negge, this is true only for add-ons which handles input stream, that is bHandlesInputStream = true. IPTVSimple is not that case.
See above github comments for detail on this
Yes, that's because IPTV simple is just that, "simple". If you have real IPTV you can use a real backend that supports it, e.g. tvheadend.
Well, I think it would be too much overhead to use tvheadend for that.
TVHeadend worths using it when we deal with such things as DVB, PVR(recording). For most other IPTV needs, IPTVSimple fits just fine

PS: if it's the backend's job, then I suppose somewhat PVR API mechanism should be provided to do the job for add-ons which don't handles input stream
(2014-09-17, 21:20)Jönke Wrote: My choice would be sync to current running channel in first place but remeber last position in epg if not channel has changed.

Example

-Tv1 running and open timeline epg , sync to TV1 epg
-Change to Tv2 and open timeline epg , sync to TV2 epg
-Tv 2 running and open timeline epg and move marker to Tv 6 with out changing channel (Tv 2 still running) then close epg and back to full screen live tv and then open epg timeline again it should still be on Tv6.

should be fixed with https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5401, but it's pending.
Nice work xhaggi ! Tested right now and working good.
@negge, @xhaggi,

Any way to implement time shifting directly with the live stream?

I don't mean having a permanent time shift buffer constantly hammering the disk. I already implemented that on an addon I'm developing in my spare time.
I mean actually pressing PAUSE and let Kodi handle the rest.

My STB handles permanent time shift (I keep it off) with a configurable buffer (10m, 30m, etc).
It also offers on-demand time shifting, kinda like an instant recording but with ff, pause and play capabilities.

On exit, it asks you to perform one of the following actions:

- Stop time shift and discard buffer
- Stop time shift and save on default location
- Stop time shift and choose save location

Thoughts?
(2014-09-19, 08:43)negge Wrote: I think there are two major camps, one is the one you mention that want to replace their old STB with XBMC but want everything to be exactly the same, thus getting basically no improvement. The other camp sees XBMC as a completely new solution that requires you to change the way you think about using a TV. That's where most of the people I know fall in.

Either way, the feature you talked about certainly wouldn't hurt, but there would likely have to be an option for it so that those that might get confused can disable it.

Sorry for the late response, as I'm not able to get on the forum lately. I know you feel that it is old school think for us to maintain the same channel numbers as those specified by our cable provider instead of having XBMC/Kodi renumber them in sequential order. IMO I maintain the original numbering for when friends and family that live in the area come over to visit. They will be use to the number and will be able to quickly operate the EPG and Channel List without any problem. This is the reason why I would like to see that feature included.
Just piping in to say I agree with Talguy. It just makes things easier for me to use the Sky channel numbering (although I do change a couple to be more logical). It helps me keep the channels in a logical order, plus it helps when others come round and are already familiar with Sky.
I have the feeling that we are mixing up two different things here:

1. Channel SWITCHING
Imho nothing should happen, if non-existing number is entered.

2. Channel SEARCHING
Here we should jump to the closest existing number, I think.

Two other wishes concerning channel SEARCHING:

It should be possible whereever it makes sense. Also from OSD channel list. From EPG, OSD guide and PVR window also (dunno exact naming).

Searching from this numberpad should feel the very same as when switching, i.e. by respecting numericchannelswitchtimeout. (OK, Bad naming then).

Thanks for listening
Diddle
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discuss improvements for pvr section1