• 12(current)
WIP Discuss improvements for pvr section
(2014-03-31, 15:17)negge Wrote: @mayoman: all you have to do is say "press Back instead". I don't see how this could be a deal breaker. There was a long discussion regarding the keymap and this was agreed to be the best solution for now (at least for as long as it's possible to go back in the timeline).

*sigh* I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but I find it irritating when browsing epg, its also different and takes getting used to... so for sure the electronically challenged in my family will not be happy when I inflict it on them.
Sorry @negge, rereading my post I see it implies I will never upgradeWink I meant I am holding out on upgrading in the faint hope that someone will come up with a better solutionBig Grin

(2014-03-31, 16:39)da-anda Wrote: @xhaggi - would it be possible to add a stop gap at the "now" position when scrolling back for more than a "page". And I'd be fine with a configurable past EPG duration setting, but IIRC opdenkamp didn't like it, right?

+1
A scrolling pause at the "now" page would definitely help IMO.
LSU Jonno and Mayoman have expressed what I would have said had I gotten back here sooner.

It's a nice feature. Very occasionally, I've wanted to go back in time to see why the CBS Evening News didn't record. Did my system malfunction, or was it preempted by football?

But the option to disable it should be available because it is inconsistent with my assurance to my wife and children that this would be "exactly the same as" our Dish Network box. That wasn't entirely accurate, because it's better, but there's a cumulative effect of each difference, and I know that they will view this difference as a biggie.
I'll jump back in here as I stated in earlier posts that an option to at least disable past epg data would benefit what seems to be the majority of users. Does anyone actually use this past epg data? I know it was stated that in a post gotham version the plan was/is to be able to view recorded shows that are in the past...but this would only really be useful if you've missed a show that's been recorded in the last 24 hours or so...and even then that's just not what a PVR is about. You set something to record, then watch it when your ready. To view your recordings you go to the recordings tab.

Surely having this as an option is not impossible?
AFAIK you can disable it via advancedsettings,xml, just not via GUI
@da-anda do you know what the setting is for advancedsettings xml?
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
The name of the setting is lingertime. You could set it to zero (minutes) to disable storing past epg data.

Code:
<epg>
  <lingertime>0</lingertime>
</epg>

i've updated the wiki to include the epg advanced settings http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...gs.xml#EPG
Holy crap!

This is great!
(2014-04-01, 02:25)jurialmunkey Wrote: @da-anda do you know what the setting is for advancedsettings xml?

I'm using jurialmunkey's "eminence" but imagine it's similar for most other skins. Right now I've set the lingertime to 90 include the current showing items in EPG:Timeline view. It's great, thanks.

What would make it perfect for me would be if instead of being able to cycle through the various EPG views when pressing the "EPG:Timeline" I cycle through the channel bouquets.

Pointer to discussing this in jurialmunkey's "eminence" http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1669477
Thanks!

That lingertime should also be a GUI setting though.
opdenkamp was and still is against adding the lingertime to GUI settings - he says it's superfluous. I tried to convince him on IRC, but seems there is no way. And now it's a little too late for Gotham.
i've started a PR for integrate this into the GUI, but this was rejected by opdenkamp.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3931

But the only reason for disabling past epg data is an usability issue in the gui. If we could quick access the sidebar with a "MENU" button everything would be fine.
Another idea would be to change the default lingertime to zero. Those who want past EPG data could enable it through advanced settings. That could maybe even get accepted for Gotham.
(2014-04-01, 19:56)negge Wrote: Another idea would be to change the default lingertime to zero. Those who want past EPG data could enable it through advanced settings. That could maybe even get accepted for Gotham.

+1

It seems that the only people who want this feature are XBMC "power users" and they already know the feature exists and can be enabled in advancedsettings.xml.

Your everyday user is going to futz around with this feature, not like it, and not use XBMC before discovering an advancedsettings.xml even exists, much less how to use it to turn off this feature.
(2014-04-01, 19:56)negge Wrote: Another idea would be to change the default lingertime to zero. Those who want past EPG data could enable it through advanced settings. That could maybe even get accepted for Gotham.

+1 on this idea too. It's nice too know this option exists though..but the majority of normal users will not look into editing their advanced settings. But really it should be a GUI setting, and after reading the PR created by xhaggi it seems everyone is in favour of this with the only exception being odenkamp.
I agree with others the default should be zero and if you want to enable it you can through advancedsettings.

There are far more useful features that should have been done to the epg timeline like button for going +12 hours or +24 as well as -12 or -24 in time then going back in time that serves no purpose to the large majority of users and cause of so much frustration.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discuss improvements for pvr section1