• 27(current)
WIP Discuss improvements for pvr section
Opdenkamp once said he was working on a new backend. But no more info have i heard. Do you guys know anything ?
There was a long running discussion on a PVR-centric improvement to the ffmpeg demuxer here https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3590

Seeing that the pull request was rejected (I think), would it be more / less acceptable for an alternate player to be used for PVR support in regards to this issue? (Issue effects all usable cablecard PVR backends)

Perhaps PVR-specific changes (to handle analysis of a growing file with the end result targeted to faster channel change times) could be applied to a "PVR-dvdplayer" core instead of needing to be merged with dvdplayer?

I know the changes from that pull request are a noticeable improvement for at least the mediaportal, npvr, and wmcserver backends, but it doesn't seem like the goals of a PVR player and DVD/Blu-Ray player are going to match so those types of request don't seem to have much chance of being merged when they apply to dvdplayer
(2014-07-08, 16:21)da-anda Wrote: you are way to optimistic qzem Wink

Not enough sometimes Smile. Well I know that universal backend server for Xbmc which would be cross platform compatible is beyond reach. But pvr for iptv only is possible, vlc player is a good example.
yes, IP-TV or SAT-IP would be possible I guess, but nothing that requires OS specific stuff
(2014-07-09, 09:16)da-anda Wrote: yes, IP-TV or SAT-IP would be possible I guess, but nothing that requires OS specific stuff

This would be a great start Wink.
SAT>IP is quite a complex protocol, there are only two open-source implementations at the moment as far as I know. The fact remains that SAT>IP is a very low-level protocol which means a software that uses it still has to implement everything expected from DVR software, same with IPTV.
I just downloaded the 6/14/14 nightly to test out the navigate EPG and channel list by keying in a value with the numpad feature and it works. Great work xhaggi.

I do have one suggestion to make this even better and more like the industry settop boxes. I noticed that when I keyed in 1000 in the epg and channel view it never navigated since the channel 1000 doesn't exist in my channel list. Usually the settop boxes I get from comcast or verizon will navigate to the closest channel to the one the user keyed in. I wonder can we get this functionality included into helix also.

The way I can see doing this is if a user types in a channel number that doesn't exist in the channel list the software will search the channel list to find where two channels that exist in the list which the keyed in channel falls between. Then the software calculates which channel the keyed in value is closer to using some math and navigates to that channel in the EPG/Channel List. If the two channels are the same distance from the keyed in channel that doesn't exist then navigate to the lower numbered channel and the user can always press the direction key to get to the channel that were desiring.

This same logic could be used for switching channels to play when a live tv stream is currently playing. i.e. if I'm watching the cooking channel and I want to change the channel to CNN I key in the channel number using the numpad but I mistakenly was off by one channel. So using the above logic XBMC figures out what channel is closest to the value I keyed in and starts playing that channel.

Just and idea that would make using the live tv feature even more user friendly.
Hello,
i saw there was a lot of work done for pvr/evg in the past days in the git. meanwhile the epg seems to be fixed again etc.

Though i have one issue that persists since this bigger changes started: only confluence is able to show the pvr main window.

other skins only show a black screen if entering live tv. but you can exit live tv and the main homescreen shows as normal.

the odd thing is now, if i switch back to confluence then even confluence is failing to show any channels but at least it shows the live tv screen, but with an empty channel list, no text anywhere at all and you cann't switch to any of the submenues (radio, epg, recordings), only back to main homescreen works.

a restart of xbmc while having confluence still set is needed to make live tv working normal again.
(2014-07-16, 08:43)a_user Wrote: Hello,
i saw there was a lot of work done for pvr/evg in the past days in the git. meanwhile the epg seems to be fixed again etc.

Though i have one issue that persists since this bigger changes started: only confluence is able to show the pvr main window.

other skins only show a black screen if entering live tv. but you can exit live tv and the main homescreen shows as normal.

the odd thing is now, if i switch back to confluence then even confluence is failing to show any channels but at least it shows the live tv screen, but with an empty channel list, no text anywhere at all and you cann't switch to any of the submenues (radio, epg, recordings), only back to main homescreen works.

a restart of xbmc while having confluence still set is needed to make live tv working normal again.

now after we finished and merged the new PVR windows, all skins are incompatible against the current master, except confluence.
i'll write up a migration guide, in the skin dev section, in the next days.
(2014-07-16, 01:59)Talguy Wrote: I just downloaded the 6/14/14 nightly to test out the navigate EPG and channel list by keying in a value with the numpad feature and it works. Great work xhaggi.

I do have one suggestion to make this even better and more like the industry settop boxes. I noticed that when I keyed in 1000 in the epg and channel view it never navigated since the channel 1000 doesn't exist in my channel list. Usually the settop boxes I get from comcast or verizon will navigate to the closest channel to the one the user keyed in. I wonder can we get this functionality included into helix also.

The way I can see doing this is if a user types in a channel number that doesn't exist in the channel list the software will search the channel list to find where two channels that exist in the list which the keyed in channel falls between. Then the software calculates which channel the keyed in value is closer to using some math and navigates to that channel in the EPG/Channel List. If the two channels are the same distance from the keyed in channel that doesn't exist then navigate to the lower numbered channel and the user can always press the direction key to get to the channel that were desiring.

This same logic could be used for switching channels to play when a live tv stream is currently playing. i.e. if I'm watching the cooking channel and I want to change the channel to CNN I key in the channel number using the numpad but I mistakenly was off by one channel. So using the above logic XBMC figures out what channel is closest to the value I keyed in and starts playing that channel.

Just and idea that would make using the live tv feature even more user friendly.

@xhaggi what are your thoughts on this? I'm not sure I like it, a wrong number is a wrong number IMO. Doing magic may just confuse the user.
i agree, some hidden calculation which is not clear for the end-user is more confusing as do nothing, if the number does not exists.
thank you very much for the clarification!

sorry, forgot to ask one thing:
i understand that other skins are currently incompatible due to the changes but why doesn't work even confluence anymore after switching to a different skin and back to confluence again?

how is it possible that the fact another skin was loaded breaks it for confluence until xbmc is fully restarted? sounds as if the internal state isn't well restored on skin switching.
(2014-07-16, 14:21)xhaggi Wrote: i agree, some hidden calculation which is not clear for the end-user is more confusing as do nothing, if the number does not exists.

I could see this being confusing for switching channel but I think it would be fantastic for searching in the guide.Sometimes you only have an idea of where a channel is and this would be helpful.
in case you dont know the channel number but the name i'd rather do something like SMS navigation/search instead oft what you suggested
(2014-07-16, 23:09)sparkster666 Wrote: I could see this being confusing for switching channel but I think it would be fantastic for searching in the guide.Sometimes you only have an idea of where a channel is and this would be helpful.
Especially if you're too lazy to set up channel groups like myself
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discuss improvements for pvr section1