Win Problems with NFO files
Greetings:

I am running XBMC Frodo on a Windows 7 64- bit machine, and have several videos which are installed on a local disk.

I am using the MovieDB scraper to name the movies, and because it has some inaccurate information about some of my movies, would like to customize the movie information.

I am discovering, however, that despite what is implied on the Wiki, there are apparently no nfo files created anywhere on the system. The movie.nfo file mentioned in the Wiki is nowhere to be found (and I have done multiple searches of my entire system!), and there are no other nfo fies anywhere.

I did try creating my own nfo file, placing it in the same directory as one of the files whose information wanted to change and giving it the same name as the file. This is when I discovered another problem: Frodo apparently ignores nfo files!

Someone please advise. I have followed all the instructions and attempted to utilize the information provided by the Wiki, yet not only am I not getting the results I am supposed to get, but it looks like the instructions may not be accurate at all.

How do I get this software to create correct nfo files? And how do I get it to pay ttention to and utilize my custom nfo files?

Thanks in advance for any insights or assistance.
NFO files are not created automatically by XBMC when you scan movies into your library. Hard to know why your NFO file is being ignored without being able to see its contents. Upload a copy to a public paste site such as www.xbmclogs.com and post the assigned URL here. Also, if you have Windows set to hide file extensions, be sure the file is named "your-movie-title.nfo" and not something like "your-movie-title.nfo.txt".
If you export your library to separate files a movie.nfo will be placed in each folder that can be edited, and locally refreshed with the new changes.
(2013-10-07, 23:36)artrafael Wrote: NFO files are not created automatically by XBMC when you scan movies into your library. Hard to know why your NFO file is being ignored without being able to see its contents. Upload a copy to a public paste site such as www.xbmclogs.com and post the assigned URL here. Also, if you have Windows set to hide file extensions, be sure the file is named "your-movie-title.nfo" and not something like "your-movie-title.nfo.txt".

Greetings:

There should be no problem with the contents of the nfo file -- unless the export has a bug in it.

Following PatK's advice, I used the export function to create .nfo files for my movies. The movie whose name I am trying to change is one of my "Butterfly Effect" movies. The nfo file can be found at:

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=67504

I created this URL according to your instructions, pasting the full contents of the nfo file. It will be availabke for a month.

The situation is this: I have two versions of this movie: one the theatrical version and a director's cut. My MKV files are named, creatively, Butterfly Effect.mkv and Butterfly Effect Director's Cut.mkv. Both files are in a directory called Butterfly Effect.

The first thing I did was to gather movie information using the themoviedb scraper. It recognized the titles of the two movies as "The Butterfly Effect", and named them both accordingly.

I then followed PatK's advice and did an export of my library. I exported every movie into individual nfo files. The result, of course, is that I had a Butterfly Effect.nfo and a Butterfly Effect Director's Cut.nfo file in the Butterfly Effect directory.

I then edited the Butterfly Effect Director's Cut.nfo file, changing only the title and original title to include "Director's Cut", as illustrated in the URL.

I did an "Update Library" back in XBMC. The Director's Cut title does not change, implying that the data in the edited nfo file is being ignored.

As I said: unless there is something wrong with the nfo files generated during the export, there should be no problems with the nfo file. Feel free, of course, to confirm this at the URL. After all, there *could* be a bug in the export function! :-)

In any event: could there be some other reason why the application is ignoring the nfo file? Or have I found a bug in Frodo?

Please advise.
Update library will not recognize your change within the .nfo You will have to refresh manually from the movie information , at which point you'll get a requester acknowledging there is a local information available and giving you the option to exit to the web database or not, choosing local will now pull in your edited .nfo

As a side note: You could put both versions in the main folder as Butterfly Effect ( Director's Cut 2004) and Butterfly Effect (2004) without the need for a sub folder; the brackets with date seem to isolate the title easier for scraping. Using the rename function after the scrape would make scraping odd named sources easier, and of course there is 'sets', and 'tags' for other options. Using separate movie folders for all videos will make your life simpler in the future.

Hope this advice is of service.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with NFO files0