Override volume command
Hi!

I think I asked this before, but it was a long time ago so maybe things changed... It is possible, for example by an add-on, to override the volume commands and redirect them to an external application (in my case a script that controls my surround receiver). I like to be able to use the volume control from my Android remote, but I don't want any software volume that is degrading the sound quality. Is it for instance possible to listen to XBMC events and consume the ones I don't want XBMC to handle? Ones I wrote a HTTP proxy to do this, but now I guess it's JSON that's currently used. I could of course write a "proxy" for this too, but it would be nicer if it's possible to do it as a add-on...

Thanks in advance!
Mattias
I'm also interested in this! This should be a rather common scenario actually. You want to control the sound using only one controller (e.g. the phone/tablet) and you don't want the receiver to be set to 100% all the time.
It's currently not possible the way you describe. JSON-RPC allows to get/set the volume and provides the Application.OnVolumeChanged notification. Maybe you can hack something together with that.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
How is the volume controlled by airplay? The proxy is a good alternative but I would guess that the airplay controls works a bit different?
It would be really nice to have the ability to override the volume control commands by an addon. I would like to use it to control my AVR directly (without CEC). I was told here in the forum that CEC is the best option for it, but I just always have issues with it (e.g. everything turn on, and sometimes CEC doesn't work).

I once posted a feature request for this. have a look here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158510

Could we create an issue to refactor the volume control? Then it should be possible to build an addon as described in the feature request. Turning on/off devices should be possible based on the events already present e.g. playback events.
I use CEC for this. When I change the volume using the USB remote, the volume on the receiver is changed. Same thing with the TVs remote. Only downside is that you don't get any visual feedback when using the computer's remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Override volume command0