My first HTPC - I am a novice and seek hardware advice
Hello!

I want to build my first HTPC.

I will use XBMC with OpenELEC.
Main purpose is to watch Full HD movies (1080p) with HD audio from my NAS. Lots of mkv-files and bluray-rips.

Perhaps it would also be nice to use as a TV tuner with DVR and record directly to my NAS.

And I also want it to work if I want to use Windows 7 in the future to access some features such as Silverlight, or if I find that OpenELEC becomes to limited if my needs would extend beyond to use it for just high definition movies and television.

But I'm a novice when it comes to computer hardware and don't really know what options exist out on the market.

What are my options when it comes to CPU? What should I look for?
As I understand it, separate GPU would be unnecessary as CPU's comes with good GPU nowadays?

I will not use my HTPC for gaming.

What are the benefits of a full-size motherboard compared to a Mini-ITX? I got plenty of space and don't need the chassi to be small size.

Budget: guess it would be nice if price for total project did not went much above $600.

Thanks in advance. Great forum!
I can recommend ecosmartpc.com. The owner provides amazing service (he's diagnosing and repairing my HTPC now, for free, even though it's out of warranty), and the prices are reasonable. He will also answer questions and help you figure out what you need.
Thank you for your reply.

I live in Sweden, so I think I will buy from a swedish store or from another european country.
You can build one that will play your movies for a fair amount less than $600. An Intel NUC is a popular choice. The Celeron 847's and Core I's all have plenty of graphics prowess with no need for a separate GPU. If you want expandability, you can build a system in a bigger case based on any of those same CPU's.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first HTPC - I am a novice and seek hardware advice0