New HTPC Build for OPENELEC
Hi all, my first post, please be gentle...Huh

Need to build a new HTPC have been running OPENELEC on my HP Probook 4530s. The laptops fan i driving me crazy, sounds like a hoover craft. It has run fine and i love XBMC so now im ready to build a new unit.

I have a GA-H61N-USB3 M/B and will be putting it into a Streacom F7C EVO and will be using PICOPSU for power. So far thats it, any recommendations on CPU, RAM, SSD or HDD (would like OPENELEC installed onto a SSD). I saw a Sandisk SSD (SDSSDP-064G-G25) for £44 on amazon, any good.

Any help from the wealth of experience of you all would be greatly appreciated.Wink

Cheers.
Sorry to Self BUMP, but nobody has anything...
If you're able, check the BIOS version and then look at the Gigabyte website to see if the Ivy Bridge processors are compatible with your GA-H61N-USB3. If so, a G1610 or G2120 for if you don't need 3D and a i3-2120T or i3-3225 if you do want full 3D capabilities.

For RAM, the GA-H61N-USB3 can use up to DDR3-1333 according to the specs. Kingston, G-Skill and Crucial are what I usually use but lately with prices I try to look for a highly-rated bargain.

For SSD for OpenELEC, I'd usually say 32GB SSD but looking at the prices, the 32GB is £38 and the 64GB is £44 so you might as well go for the 64GB since you can always use a 64GB SSD for Windows if you decide later to go that route whereas a 32GB SSD is really too small or Windows.

Also, unless you go with a 'T' processor, you might need a low-profile CPU cooler for that case unless you take out the ODD/HDD bracket -- I am not quite sure.

Here's a review: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437652/streacom-f7c-reviewed
One thing to be aware of - if you own the motherboard already - is that you might need to upgrade the BIOS for your motherboard if you want to use an Ivy Bridge CPU (which is definitely a good call from Dougie). However to do this you will need to have a CPU that IS supported by its current BIOS to be installed to get to the BIOS to update it I believe. Annoying Catch 22 situation you can end up in...
Thanks Dougie Fresh & noggin for replying.

Great info cheers, will check out that review for the case. Not sure on the BIOS rev. yet, i got the M/B off Ebay & still waiting for delivery. I have seen the G2120 mentioned on here / other forums, i have no need for 3D so you recommend the G1610 or G2120. I take it that the G2120 is better than the G1610, what GPU do they have? On the SSD front i have seen a 64Gb Crucial M4 for a good price is that a good drive, is it better than the Sandisk one.

Thanks Again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC Build for OPENELEC0