XBMCBuntu loses connection to NAS
I have an Intel NUC running XBMCBuntu 12.2, and a WD NAS drive.

I can find my drive easily enough on XBMC, but when the I.P address of my NAS drive changes, XBMC loses connection to it, and I have to clean my library, then reconfigure XBMC to point to the new I.P of my NAS drive.

Is this a Linux, XBMC or NAS issue?

If its a Linux problem, would using a Windows OS fix it?
Are you using NFS or samba? If you are losing connection when the IP changes I'm guessing NFS but I don't know a ton on samba to say for sure. If it is NFS you can either edit your exports to accept all IP's or setup a static IP on the NAS.
NFS. I tried Windows SMB too, but get the same problem.

How do I edit my exports to accept all I.P's?

I did have a look at setting up my NAS with a static I.P, but it wanted me to fill in the I.P and Netmask, though I have no idea what I should put in them.
I have my setup as all static so I have not tested this but something like this should work, Just change the IP in the exports file to

192.168.X.0/24 (Of course replace the 'X' with whatever yours is)
How do you handle name resolving in your network? In order to get DNS to run, I had to put the following into /etc/dhcp/dhcp.conf:

Code:
#send host-name "andare.fugue.com";
send host-name "xbmc";
# send fqdn.fqdn = gethostname();
send dhcp-client-identifier 00:52:d3:89:69:aa;

The client identifier you get on the xbmc-box with "ifconfig" in a terminal window, look for that line:
Code:
wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:52:d3:89:69:aa
          inet addr:192.168.178.31  Bcast:192.168.178.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
eth0 for wired.
Not sure how to achive the same for your NAS, but you should be able from the xbmc-box with a "ping nasname". If that does not work, you need to convince you NAS to send its name with the DHCP-request. Chances are good that it is also a Linux-based box, and you can do the same as with your xbmc.box.
don't let the nas change ip address. Any setup that allows a server to change it's ip address is just silly.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have a similar problem with NFS, however it is related to suspend. After resuming from suspend XBMC loses its connection to my QNAP NAS. I have a static IP address, so that's not the problem.
This is not about susend. It's about a server changing it's IP address.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Should I start a separate thread then?
no you should search for the myriad of other threads covering the same question.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu loses connection to NAS0