Marantz 6008 Zone2 HDMI output problem
Hello guys,
this is my first post and I really hope I'm doing nothing wrong as I really love xbmc and your efforts.

I've been using xbmc since april 2013 with no problem on this pc:
Operating System: Windows 7 ultimate
CPU: Intel Core i3 3225 PC1155 3MB Cache 3,3GHz
Motherboard: H77M-ITX - Socket 1155 - Chipset H77 - Mini-ITX
HDD: SSD 128GB Crucial Sata
Ram: 2 x DIMM DDR3 G.Skill 4GB PC 1600 CL9 4GBRL Ripjaws

I've just bought a new AVR ampli: Marantz SR6008.
It has dual HDMI output, apparently the second one is cloned and I can't find a way to use it but in Zone2.
When I use the main zone (HDMI 1) everything works fine.
When I use the zone2 (HDMI 1+2) something works wrong on xbmc.
When I set zone2 every mkv file with ac3 or dts audio track plays very choppy (1 frame per second or so, on both hdmi1 and 2 displays), if I select an mp3 track on the same file the playback is ok.
I tried every possible setting and it seems that it is due to "passtrough output device" set on HDMI (in system menu -> audio) as if i select spdif the playback of every mkv is ok but I can't hear any sound because I use hdmi audio in on my ampli and I need the hdmi output on xbmc.
In VLC and MediaPlayerClassic the playback is fine with HDMI audio output selected.

Any ideas?
Ok, I think it's not in xbmc.
When I set zone2 on the ampli I can hear the pop-up sound in windows, and in the audio device property the marantz becomes a 2.0 receiver.
Vlc and MPC both are working as they send 2.0 pcm audio, infact if in xbmc I set 2.0 speaker configuration and non-capable (ac3, dts...) receiver the video starts playback smooth.
My conclusion: passtrough audio is not working and pcm is only 2.0.
A satellite box multichannel audio is working in zone2, so it could be the 1.000.000th intel driver related problem.
WHen you say dual output, I assume you mean on the Marantz. It sounds like an EDID problem. Not sure about your model but generally if the Zone 2 is meant to, say, run a pair of speakers in another room in STEREO then the moment you activate it, the Receiver will push back to the source (the HTPC) and say "I can only accept stereo now since it is the lowest common denominator between Zone 1 and Zone 2". But if you turn off Zone 2, then it will say "I can accept pretty much anything including the HD audio formats (DD HD and DTS MA) so send them".

This will be a problem with XBMC since it cannot auto switch between the audio formats based on the EDID. So when it tries to send any surround sound signal on a HDMI connection who's EDID only allows stereo you will get that choppy playback. I actually posted a question about auto switching a while back when I first started out with XBMC. THey basically said they havent gotten around to implementing that kind of feature:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=169085

Ernie
Thank you very much aesalazar,
yesterday I ended up with the same conclusion.
I tried also to connect a 5.1 denon receiver to zone2 and in that case marantz turn back to be a 5.1 audio device.
I wrote an email to marantz assistance, there is no reason why this zone2 thing have to be so messed up, hdmi in this configuration is used for video only.
I tried also with moninfo to override edid but I guess it doesnt work with intel drivers.
(2013-10-14, 17:29)gorx76 Wrote: Thank you very much aesalazar,
yesterday I ended up with the same conclusion.
I tried also to connect a 5.1 denon receiver to zone2 and in that case marantz turn back to be a 5.1 audio device.
I wrote an email to marantz assistance, there is no reason why this zone2 thing have to be so messed up, hdmi in this configuration is used for video only.
I tried also with moninfo to override edid but I guess it doesnt work with intel drivers.

Hi,
I confirm : this is not a XBMC problem.
It's exactly the same problem on my Marantz 6008.
Please send me a reply/PM when you receive Marantz Assistance answer.
I don't think it is a Marantz or XBMC problem.

Zone 2 is 2.0 channel, but Zone 1 is 5.1. So you have to set your sound output to the 2.0 if you are including zone 2.

It might also be possible to make Zone 1 + Zone 2 = 7.1 (but I think you are actually using zone 2 as a separate zone).

Also, try HDMI "WASAPI" setting in XBMC.
It used to be zone 2 was only able to use anoluge inputs so you couldnt pass hdmi sound to zone 2 check this out

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Marantz 6008 Zone2 HDMI output problem0