Linux No audio output through HDMI
Or implement the tricky experimental stuff here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854

I noted your 'abrcadabra' comment in post 11 which is why I didn't mention that earlier Smile

Being an nvidia guy from waaaaay back and a hater of windows, I would take the nvidia option.

Then again how much HD audio do you really come across?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-13, 20:58)rootje1980 Wrote: Yesterday I finished building my HTPC:

motherboard: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53
processor: AMD A8-6600 (AMD Radeon HD 8570D integrated HD audio)
memory: 8 gb dual channel 1866 mhz DDR3
harddrive: 120 gb ssd drive (kingston v300 now)

I installed Openelec Generic OSS i386 Version:3.2.2 and everything works fine except... there's no sound...

I connected my HTPC to my Sony receiver (STR-DH820) through HDMI.

Settings in XBMC:

audio output: HDMI
speaker configuration: 5.1
audio output device: HDA ATI, HDMI #0
custom passthrough device: HDA ATI, HDMI #0

Can I solve this, and so, how? I'd rather not install windows...

Reinstall it and check the version of HDMI 1.0 not support 2.0. May this is your problem.Sleepy

(2013-10-15, 23:11)rootje1980 Wrote:
(2013-10-15, 22:40)nickr Wrote: HD audio doesn't work with AMD video cards in linux at present. You bought the wrong video card, get an nvidia

And if I run XBMC under windows, will it work then?

Because in that case I have 2 options:

1) Buy a PCIexpress video card from nvidia (I now use the integrated GPU from the AMD processor) and keep on running openelec/xbmc

or

2) install windows and run XBMC from there

Correct?

I'd definitely choose to buy a new GPU for 40 euros instead of switching to Windows.
I have same motherboard but with an AMD A6-6400K CPU, and I have same problem - no sound when using HDMI.

Did you manage to solve the problem?
(2013-10-17, 09:56)tsint Wrote: I have same motherboard but with an AMD A6-6400K CPU, and I have same problem - no sound when using HDMI.

Did you manage to solve the problem?

I managed to get sound out it, but not over HDMI. in the current setup my video is coming through hdmi, audio through an optical cable.

As noticed before, Linux is currently not supporting AMD. Which operating system do you use?

(2013-10-16, 00:06)nickr Wrote: Or implement the tricky experimental stuff here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854

I noted your 'abrcadabra' comment in post 11 which is why I didn't mention that earlier Smile

Being an nvidia guy from waaaaay back and a hater of windows, I would take the nvidia option.

Then again how much HD audio do you really come across?

This goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above my capabilities Wink

I think i'm gonna spend another 30-40 euros and buy a Nvidia card. Only i'm wondering: this nvidia card supplies the video, right? Is the audio also going through this card then?
Any recent nvidia card has audio over hdmi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-10-18, 15:40)rootje1980 Wrote: I managed to get sound out it, but not over HDMI. in the current setup my video is coming through hdmi, audio through an optical cable.

As noticed before, Linux is currently not supporting AMD. Which operating system do you use?

I use Ubuntu 13.04, and I've configured my setup according to the Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)

It seems that people also have some problem to get audio/hdmi to work in Windows, additional ATI chipset drivers must be install.

I think I will sit back and monitor the Linux Radeon progress - and hopefully my hardware will work in the future Smile
I was having a similar issue (but with a Win HTPC) and thought it was windows or XBMC in my case.

It turns out that it was the receiver, the sony STR-DH820.
Try going into your Receiver's settings:
HDMI Settings - Audio Out -
You should see two options:

AMP
AMP + TV

Make sure that you set it to just AMP.

Then restart your HTPC .

In my case, Windows 7 then detects the receiver and picks up the correct Audio drivers. After that XBMC works correctly. The main issue I have now is that this setting in the receiver doesn't stick. After the receiver is restarted, it comes back as AMP+TV. Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio output through HDMI0