Getting sound through receiver
If this has been addressed, let me know a keyword to search.

I currently have a more basic flat screen TV with only 1 HDMI port. From my computer to my TV, I have an HDMI cable and my audio comes from my TV speakers (horrible sound)

I have an Aiwa cx-nma845 stereo system that I would like to play the audio through. Just curious if there is a simple way of doing this. Information that may be helpful is that the Aiwa does have digital optical audio port as does my TV. I have connected a digital optical audio cable from the port of my TV to the same port of my audio system in hopes that the audio information coming from the PC --> TV will then be sent to the stereo system, This does not happen. Again, this is my current set up...

PC -----------------> TV ---------------> stereo
..............HDMI.....................Optical

I have RCA cables for the speakers to try, but I just thought I was check here first before I do anything else. Just curious if my set up above should work, and I just need to change an option in XBMC or Windows 7, or if I need to completely reconfigure my wires in a different way. Thanks.
I used to run it like that - but it depends on the tv - my old lg would pass through dts + ac3, but my new samsung only passesthrough ac3. Try it and see.
What I do is run hdmi from the computer to the tv for the video and optical from the computer to the sound system for audio. It means I never use the horrid TV speakers.

If you don't have optical out on your computer, get a cheap USB spdif capable sound card. Worked for me for years before I got a computer with optical out.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I believe I have an optical out on my computer. It said spdif and my optical cord fits right in, so now I have my HDMI from my computer to my TV, and my optical cable from my computer using the spdif on my computer and my sound receiver. I still cannot get the sound to be sent from my computer to my receiver and out the receiver speakers. Sound is still coming from my tv. Any ideas? Thanks
Its not muted? Enabled it as the default sound device in the windows sound settings?
In XBMC you need to send the sound to the spdif output, which will probably be named iec958 or similar. XBMC|Sttings|System|Audio from memory.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have the optical going from the PC to the receiver as well as the HDMI going from the PC to the TV as one user suggested. When I plugged in the optical to the PC, the other end of the optical turned red, which I assume meant a signal was being sent. I just don't see any option in my computer to switch to optical out. I have the drivers updated.
Check Control Panel / Sound / Playback. Test it there and make sure you are able to hear the test tones. Then check the XBMC audio output settings like nickr said above.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Hmm... the optical jack on my system is optical out... I'm assuming it would need an optical in, or should this not matter? I think I have everything correct on the PC end, now it's just figuring out how to get the system to play through the stereo system.
What do you mean 'system' - computer or amplifier?
amplifier, sorry
It definitely needs to be an optical in on the stereo system. A quick look at the owners manual tells me this unit has only an output.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting sound through receiver0