New HTPC build help
Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum. Moderators - Please don't ban me if i've made a mistake in the post.

I intend to set-up a HTPC for my living room. After some research online and a walkthrough at one of the IT shops hub here in Singapore, I have decided on the following specs. Now before that, let me list what the HTPC has to deliver in the first place,
- View BRrips of 3D movies – 3D ISO, 3D BrRip, 3D HSBS
- 1080p movies and may be 4K movies in the future
- Have a movie jukebox of DVDrips, BRrips
- Watch Youtube
- All of this, should be delivered at really good speed, without any lag, while fast-forwarding, skipping, etc.
- Keen on using XBMC as the front end media player. Not sure about OpenElec or XBMCBuntu.

Specs I am considering,
- Silverstone ML04 case (Due to space constraint and availability of GD series in Singapore.)
- Intel I5 4570 Haswell processor
- Gigabyte H87-Wifi motherboard
- 16 GB DDR3 RAM – Kingston
- 128 GB Samsung SSD (for hosting OS)
- 3 TB WD Green HDD
- 2 x 80 mm fans
- Since I don’t intend to clutter the limited shelving space I have, I am considering a LG BR/DVD Player
- Logitech wireless keyboard

Questions:
1. Should I go for a dedicated Graphics card? I was suggested a low profile Leadtek GT 610 2 GB graphics card. I want to watch good quality 3D content, not play any games.
2. How about the OS? I was suggested a Windows 8 HP edition. Though I like it, I would prefer something really fast like the XBMC set-up. However, I have limited knowledge with Linux systems, XBMC, Ubuntu, or even Windows administration for that matter.
3. I understand that, if you have OpenElec, you don’t need a windows OS to host it, but how easy or difficult is it to use? Like how do I copy files into my HTPC internal 3 TB HDD using an external Hard Disk? Is it as simple as Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V? Or is it easier to copy files to the HTPC HDD through the network?
4. How about the remote control for this set-up? I guess the Silverstone ML 04 doesn’t come with a remote control.

Thanks.

Zubair
Complete overkill. Start here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

Answering your other questions:

- No graphics card needed
- Use windows if its easier for you
- Openelec is easy. Install it onto a thumb drive today, and see if you can make it work by booting from it.
- A case does not come with a remote control

You only need a Celeron Processor to do what you want.

If you have this much money ... don't put a 3TB hard disk in a HTPC. Make the HTPC very small... tiny!
Put the hard disk in a seperate NAS. Now any device you buy can get your media files. Now you can have as many small HTPCs as you want.

Look up Celeron NUC. If you want IR built in look up D34010WYK which will soon be available in singapore.
Also look here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171705
And also search for RL80 discussion on this forum.
Thanks Joel.

I don't want to spend on the OS. If openelec is free and will let me copy and move files easily, then I might as well go for it.
(2013-10-16, 17:34)zubair811 Wrote: - View BRrips of 3D movies – 3D ISO, 3D BrRip, 3D HSBS

(2013-10-16, 17:53)joelbaby Wrote: You only need a Celeron Processor to do what you want.

For full 3D you need at least a Core i3. Celeron/Pentium do not support full 3D.
Quote:View BRrips of 3D movies – 3D ISO, 3D BrRip, 3D HSBS

Ok.. A Celeron will do: 3D HSBS, and most other Rips that are commonly found, but not 3D ISO (aka full 3D).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC build help0