Android automatically encoding and dissapearing subtitle
when i watch movies i download the subtitles online via the xbmc subtitles plugin
the thing is sometimes i watch with central european encoding sometimes with cyrilics encoding
i have not found a way xbmc to automaticall change the encoding for me
so i need to go to settings > subtitles and change it from there and it is very annoying if you are switching often

so i am asking is there a way lets say when i download macedonian subtitle automatically to change to cyrilics for me

or is there any other subtitles plugin except xbmc subtitles that offers more options
another issue i have noticed after i add the subtitles from the xbmc subtitles plugin if i bring the movie with the seek to the beginning the subtitles dissapears and i need to add it again (this doesnt happens if i put the movie on any position except the beginning)
xbmc doesnt have a way for python addons to set encoding, only way to do it is from settings
Same "problem" here... obviously isn't a problem, but any chance to get a shortcut here to the settings " Character set..." to directly open menu Character set??

(2015-01-09, 02:10)nomime Wrote: Same "problem" here... obviously isn't a problem, but any chance to get a shortcut here to the settings " Character set..." to directly open menu Character set??

Yeah that'd be nice. But even that doesn't work for me. Which encoding do you use for Macedonian subtitles, and for Croatian or Serbian for that matter as well? I tried them all during playback but nothing changes and all I get is gibberish characters.
Central Europe (windows) is what I use for Serbian

I think you need to stop/start the playback for the change to have any effect
(2015-04-11, 21:58)amet Wrote: Central Europe (windows) is what I use for Serbian

I think you need to stop/start the playback for the change to have any effect

Well I'll be damned. Thanks Amet, Western european works for the latin characters of Serbian and Croatian. But not for Macedonian, I guess the Cyrillic encoding will have to be set for that one to work.

I still think there should be a way to automatically change that as you cycle through subtitles during playback.
You need to use a font that has cyrillic in it, as far as I remember the default font doesn't have it.
(2015-04-12, 06:51)amet Wrote: You need to use a font that has cyrillic in it, as far as I remember the default font doesn't have it.
Aha I read something about it on the forums. I'll look into it, try it and post back the results here so others can have this information.
Thanks again.
Ok thanks to Amet I finally have this figured out. It's not a completely satisfying solution, but it's better than nothing.

Here is the solution step by step to make Cyrillic subtitles display correctly:

1. First create the folder in which we will place the cyrillic supporting font. Use this guide (I've tested it on windows only):

OS X

~/Library/Application Support/Kodi/Media/Fonts (If the fonts folder doesn't exist create it)

Android

Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/Fonts/ (If the fonts folder doesn't exist create it)

Windows

Start - type %APPDATA%\kodi\media\Fonts - press Enter (If the fonts folder doesn't exist create it)

Linux

~/.kodi/Fonts (If the fonts folder doesn't exist create it)

OpenElec

/storage/.kodi/Fonts (If the fonts folder doesn't exist create it)

2. Next you need to get a font with Cyrillic support in it. I repeat not a Cyrillic font but one with cyrillic support in it (like the kind you write with in Word when you switch the language button in the windows taskbar). You can search for one online, or if on windows you can navigate to the Windows Fonts folder (C:\Windows\Fonts) and there I recommend taking Arial Unicode MS Regular, just copy it and paste it into Kodi's Fonts folder. It will its display filename as ARIALUNI.TTF and that's how you'll see it in Kodi's settings menu.

3. Open Kodi and go to: System > Video > Subtitles > Character Set

There choose Cyrillic Windows. While you're there go to Font to use for text subtitles and change the font to ARIALUNI.TTF using the arrows on the right.

Finally close and restart Kodi and the next time you play a movie your Cyrillic subtitles should playback correctly.

The downside is that other latin based eastern european font characters won't so you have to change back to Central European (Windows). It's a bummer but for now at least it works somehow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
automatically encoding and dissapearing subtitle1