Newb Looking For A Little Help Mapping Drive
So my son convinced me to build a HTPC, run XBMCbuntu and XBMC to stream movies across the network. So I have it up and running, and was able to successfully map a Time Capsule in the basement with movies on it. I recently added a 3TB WD mybook connected directly to the HTPC and am trying to setup the new drive in XBMC.

The HTPC is named xbmc-desktop (real creative I know), and the drive is named mybook. So when I type in smb://username:password@xbmc-desktop//mybook I get "error 2 share not available."

Anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mike
So I booted into XBMCbuntu, thinking that I hadn't mounted the drive or setup a share. When I try to mount the drive I get the following error:

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/xbmc/MyBook:Command-line'mount -t "exfat" -o"uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid""/dev/sdb1""/media/xbmc/MyBook"" exited with non-zero exit status 32:mount:unknown filesystem type 'exfat'

I take it the exfat file system is not recognizable by XBMC?

Thanks for any and all help.
Try simply typing

Code:
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/xbmc/MyBook
without specifying a type (-t) and see what happens. filesystem should be automatically discovered.

If not, try with -t vfat, ie

Code:
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/xbmc/MyBook

SECOND EDIT: you don't need to read it over smb from the same machine. Add it as a video source by navigating to the directory where you mounted it. ie Browse|Root Filesystem|mnt|xbmc|Mybook
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I found this tutorial:

http://apcmag.com/how-to-enable-exfat-in-ubuntu.htm

Input the 3 commands and it wouldn't work, then realized he was missing apt-get update

Works like a champ now (well at least the drive is mounted in xbmcbuntu, now to get it mapped in xbmc.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited to add: Works like a champ now.

So the drive worked that one time and was able to watch a movie. In the days since the drive mounts, but now the movies don't show up in XBMC. When I disconnect the drive from XBMC and connect to my MBP, the movies show up just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

I appreciate any and all help,

Mike
When you plug and unplug it asll the time the mount point might be changing for some reason. Stop playing with it!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
All I did was shutdown the HTPC since it wasn't being used. Started it back up again and the drive was acting this way. Tried a few times with no success, that's why I hooked it up to the MBP to see what is going on. The drive mounts in XBMC, just doesn't show any movies. Same thing with XBMCBuntu, the drive mounts, the movie folder shows up, but it appears empty.
SO far now I have decided to just add a couple of HD's of the HTPC for now and forgo the networked drives until I can get this figured out.
When were we ever talking about networked drives?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newb Looking For A Little Help Mapping Drive0