Video start up slow when using 'TV Shows' but not when using 'Videos'
Hi folks,

I have an issue with one of my XBMC boxes, where it takes quite some time for a 'TV Show' to start playing, however, there is no delay when accessing the same file thru 'Videos'. The delay is about 20 to 30 seconds, and sometimes times out, and I need to try the file again, which it eventually will play.

I am using a G Box Midnight, running XBMC 12.0 Linux, which connects to my WHS, where all the content is. I am using a shared database on the WHS.

The source is using Samba, and there is no delay at all when going thru 'Videos', which I believe bypasses the XBMC Library/Database (I'm guessing here).

I also have a Windows Laptop that runs XBMC 12.2, and there is no delay when accessing the same files thru 'TV Shows'.

Any ideas of where the issue is, or what I can try?

Thanks in advance,
Enable debug logging in XBMC, reproduce the scenario and review your debug log (wiki) to see where the delay is occurring and what may be causing it.
I took a look at my log, but didn't see anything that stuck out.

I was trying to play 'The League - S02E09 - Expert Witness' and XBMC said 'working' for some time, then stopped trying to play the file.

I created the log at that point, went to 'videos', and the file played right away.
try copy that episode onto the same drive as the files that are working if the videos that DO play and the videos that DON'T are on seperate drives perhaps this way you can tell if it is the drive that is the issue if so perhaps a Defrag or something might help it
thanks for the reply.

I don't know which drive the file is on, as WHS controls all that, and there are a total of 8 drives in question.

Also, the file plays fine thru my Windows XBMC, thru the library, with no delay.
since my issue seems to be related to my sql database/library, I started looking at some of the tables.

The tables 'tvshow' and 'path' have some records pointing to my WHS IP address, and other records pointing to the server name.

Is it possible my linux build is having issues resolving the DNS look up? I don't know enough about linux to know how it deals with name lookups, but I assumed it was a function of my router/dhcp server.

scratch that, I manually updated the records to use the IP, and there's no change in the playback

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video start up slow when using 'TV Shows' but not when using 'Videos'0