• 45(current)
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds
Updated Gotham build, XBMC master from Feb 28 + newclock3 commits + three additional commits.

Some info:
• NC3: Fix for white noise problem when using hifiberry sound card (see this)
• Master: Better caching and updating for dynamic list provider
• Master: Many fixes and cleanups, e.g regarding settings, PVR, id3v2 tags etc.
• Additional/SQLite: Updated SQLite version
• Additional/SQLite: Use mmap to accelerate SQLite file accesses
• Additional: Fix memory leakage in python bindings

Edit: Firmware from 28th of Feb recommended.
Firmware update, recommendations and additional testing (DVDPlayer etc.), see post #1

To install XBMC build, SSH to Pi:
Code:
cd .upgrade
wget -O xbmc-13-20140228-nc3.tar.gz http://goo.gl/zA2FzR --no-check-certificate
mkdir -p xbmc-13-20140228-nc3
pv xbmc-13-20140228-nc3.tar.gz | tar xzf - -C xbmc-13-20140228-nc3
cd xbmc-13-20140228-nc3/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/system
cp /usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 .
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 libdvdcss.so.2
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2 libdvdcss.so
Activate new build in "Raspbmc Settings/Nightly…/Switch…”, choose new build + restart XBMC.
(2014-02-22, 18:20)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-21, 21:17)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-19, 09:37)jeroenz Wrote: I've done some testing last night with this version, and encountered another troublesome DVD. This time it's a dutch chick-flick called 'Alles is Familie'.

I see the problem. I've done some debugging, but the failure is not in any Pi specific code.
CDVDInputStreamNavigator::Read() never returns because ProcessBlock() continually returns NAVRESULT_NOP.
Even when a stop message comes through it hangs because this thread is stuck.

Now as this isn't in Pi specific code I would expect (gotham) xbmc on other platforms to have the same issue.
Did you try playing this dvd on xbmc on pc?

Update:
I built latest gotham on x64 linux PC. Played 'Alles is Familie'. Exactly the same behaviour as Pi. Single square displayed. Wouldn't respond to stop. Had to "kill -9" xbmc to recover.
This isn't something I can fix. I suggest to post in a general xbmc forum, or open a trac ticket.

Voyager1 is looking into this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4296
Updated Gotham build, XBMC master from Mar 01 + newclock3 commits + additional commits.

Some info:
• NC3: Fix for white noise problem when using hifiberry sound card
• NC3: Allow small audio packets to be concatenated to make better use of audio fifo *
• NC3: Add suppression and auto-repeat to CEC via advancedsettings.xml (EXPERIMENTAL) **
• Additional/SQLite: Updated SQLite version
• Additional/SQLite: Use mmap to accelerate SQLite file accesses
• Additional: Fix memory leakage in python bindings
• Additional: DVD various fixes related to libdvdnav issues and skip to menu (updated)

Firmware from 28th of Feb recommended.
Firmware update, recommendations and additional testing (DVDPlayer etc.), see post #1

To install XBMC build, SSH to Pi:
Code:
cd .upgrade
wget -O xbmc-13-20140301-nc3.tar.gz http://goo.gl/ZkNQms --no-check-certificate
mkdir -p xbmc-13-20140301-nc3
pv xbmc-13-20140301-nc3.tar.gz | tar xzf - -C xbmc-13-20140301-nc3
cd xbmc-13-20140301-nc3/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-bin/lib/xbmc/system
cp /usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 .
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2.1.0 libdvdcss.so.2
ln -sf libdvdcss.so.2 libdvdcss.so
Activate new build in "Raspbmc Settings/Nightly…/Switch…”, choose new build + restart XBMC.

Some words from popcornmix:

* Allow small audio packets…
Quote:When not using passthough, this has quite a significant performance benefit for me. I can reduce arm clock significantly before a stream starts buffering.
It also starts to make TrueHD audio usable (some TrueHD streams are playing correctly with overclock whereas before it was impossible).

You can get test TrueHD streams here:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-d...ailers.php

There is a chance this could cause audio glitches or sync problems, but it's behaving for my test streams.

TrueHD is still problematic. In a standalone test AC3 takes about 17% of the (stock frequency) ARM's CPU. TrueHD takes about 57%, so it's much more expensive.
We've got Ben to look at optimising the codec. It will always be worse than AC3/DTS, but in conjunction with this patch it may become feasible to play TrueHD on an overclocked Pi.

** CEC... Note: Probably not usable yet, but should be harmless without the advancedsettings.
Code:
<cecsuppress> # brief time during which subsequent presses will be ignored (ms)
<cecdelay>    # brief time until remote starts repeating (ms)
<cecrepeat>   # brief interval remote repats at (ms)
<cecrelease>  # brief time before remote is considered released (ms)
Miappa, thanks very much for all your work providing these builds, it's much appreciated!

I've been struggling to get an external USB (CM106) sound device working with S/PDIF to an older (non-HDMI) amplifier. Your recent builds are the first time this has worked at all for me. The sound quality is generally good, but there is a regular "white noise" clicking (about 200+ beats per minute) and a random click or pop every couple of seconds that spoil the listening experience.

I'm running build xbmc-13-20140301-nc3 and have had exactly the same symptoms with the Feb 24 and 28 builds as well. I followed the instructions for updating the firmware, and removed .xbmc (also double checked again with a fresh guisettings.xml). I've uploaded my xbmc.log and am happy to provide anything else you need. The sound device reports as "Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0d8c:0102 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM106 Like Sound Device".

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Many thanks
Martin
Hi Miappa
Any chance you could explain the cec settings or ppint us in the direction of an explanation? Cheers
(2014-03-02, 05:42)emelar Wrote: Miappa, thanks very much for all your work providing these builds, it's much appreciated!

I've been struggling to get an external USB (CM106) sound device working with S/PDIF to an older (non-HDMI) amplifier. Your recent builds are the first time this has worked at all for me. The sound quality is generally good, but there is a regular "white noise" clicking (about 200+ beats per minute) and a random click or pop every couple of seconds that spoil the listening experience.

I believe the pi struggles to output to some sound cards at high data rates. Is it better when playing a file with 44.1kHz? Or 32kHz? or 24kHz?
The USB driver is having a rewrite which can improve issues like this. Try following the update procedure here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewtop...28&t=70437
You should backup your sdcard first.
(2014-03-02, 09:42)Atinkler Wrote: Hi Miappa
Any chance you could explain the cec settings or ppint us in the direction of an explanation? Cheers

I'd suggest waiting a little before trying this.

There are two issues that can affect CEC remotes.
You can get an initial unwanted double press, and this is designed to filter that out.
The repeat rate of CEC remotes varies widely and is generally much slower than a keyboard or other remotes.
The aim is to filter out the (perhaps) 2 repeats per second that are sent over CEC and replace with a configurable repeat rate (e.g. 10 per second), to make scrolling long lists quicker.

However finding an algorithm to do this than works on more than one make of TV is tricky, so it's probably not usable for you yet.
Quick question - If I goto into the Raspbmc settings plugin and click install nightly build will I get latest Gotham version pf Raspbmc?
(2014-03-02, 16:15)martinjh99 Wrote: Quick question - If I goto into the Raspbmc settings plugin and click install nightly build will I get latest Gotham version pf Raspbmc?

No, and even if the Raspbmc automated nightly script was running regurarly (has not been fixed for a while now) you will not get the same builds as in this thread.
Music 
Hi miappa,

Great job!! Laugh

Got a question about the audio , perhaps you can help me.

I'm using your latest build on the pi with the default confluence skin.
If i play DTS or AC3 sound i should see a little indicator on my amp (Onkyo) telling me if it's DTS or AC3. This worked in Frodo. Now i don't see that anymore. Also in Frodo when i played a DTS file the volume slider in xbmc was red and showed me PASSTROUGH. Now it does not. My Onkyo just says pcm, always. I tried a TrueHD file but still pcm.
Is there anyway to switch on passtrough?

btw,
In your latest build there are some audio hickups when the screensaver (dim) kicks in or out) and when the next song starts.

Regards!
Thanks popcornmix
Hi miappa and Popcornmix

Firstly, thank you so much for the brilliant work you are doing here, it's much appreciated.

I'm trying to get HiFiBerry to work with your latest build. I've installed alsa-utilities and aplay -l shows the HiFiBerry. I've added the relevant modules into /etc/modules and switched on external sound cards in Raspbmc settings, but all I get is silence! I ran the test from the HiFiBerry site and got it to play 1KHz tone, so I know that the OS side is ok.

Can you shed any more light on what I should do? For info, here's what I added to /etc/modules:

snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm5102a
snd_soc_hifiberry_dac

Thanks...
(2014-02-28, 22:52)miappa Wrote:
(2014-02-22, 18:20)popcornmix Wrote: Update:
I built latest gotham on x64 linux PC. Played 'Alles is Familie'. Exactly the same behaviour as Pi. Single square displayed. Wouldn't respond to stop. Had to "kill -9" xbmc to recover.
This isn't something I can fix. I suggest to post in a general xbmc forum, or open a trac ticket.

Voyager1 is looking into this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4296

Cool! So entering my ticket for this issue triggered some interest in this issue, although my ticket itself was closed very fast.

I'll try to give the latest build a swirl tonight to test if the issue is 'solved'.
Thanks for pointing this out and incorporating the solution in your test builds...
(2014-03-03, 00:34)Irisheyes Wrote: ...and switched on external sound cards in Raspbmc settings...

I don´t know much about this to be honest and don´t have anything to test myself, but I don´t think that turning on external sound card in Raspbmc setttings is the correct way to do this on these builds(?).
I thought that you should be able to choose another output in XBMC settings, and turning on the sound card in Raspbmc settings would probably mess things up, but I am not certain about this.
Please correct me if I am wrong anyone.

@hansipi
Should work. If you come directly from Frodo, see to that you have a fresh guisettings.xml, also that you set the settings level above default so you can enable passtrhough etc. in XBMC settings.
You should also try to set audio layout to 2.0 if you haven´t done so. Above 2.0 is only for multichannel PCM which is ok if your receiver supports that.
(2014-03-02, 13:33)popcornmix Wrote: I believe the pi struggles to output to some sound cards at high data rates. Is it better when playing a file with 44.1kHz? Or 32kHz? or 24kHz?
The USB driver is having a rewrite which can improve issues like this. Try following the update procedure here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewtop...28&t=70437
You should backup your sdcard first.

Thanks popcornmix. I tried different sample rates and bit rates - even down to 22050Hz and 64kbps the clicking remained. BTW: I should have said before, the clicking happens regardless of whether a song is playing, whenever the audio device is alive. It only stops when the audio device times out or the audio device is set to off in XBMC system settings. Oddly though, when the audio device times out, and GUI sounds are on, the GUI sounds "play" fine without the clicking occurring. Is it still worth me trying the new driver?

Thanks!
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds15