• 81(current)
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds
i have been running these nightlies since feb and love them but i have a question regarding xbmc-13-20140413-nc3 on latest raspbmc build. i havent updated to the latest nightly yet, i have been running 04-13 since the 13th. but my issue is that in the last week, i have noticed every video i play has been flickering to black screen every 2-5 mins or so. the video keeps playing, the audio is fine but the image flickers most annoyingly and then plays again. i assume it has something to do with

Quote:It seems like that the raspb is trying to sync the depth of the resolution from your TV, i.e on bootup the raspb is switching the TV via HDMI to 1080p60 -> but ! changing this in xbmc does not effect to your TV, so someone is trying (kernel driver or hardware) to correct this everytime.

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=1269

my question is has this been fixed in 04-20 nightly or should i revert back to an earlier one?
(2014-04-21, 14:15)sparkyvanburen Wrote: i have been running these nightlies since feb and love them but i have a question regarding xbmc-13-20140413-nc3 on latest raspbmc build. i havent updated to the latest nightly yet, i have been running 04-13 since the 13th. but my issue is that in the last week, i have noticed every video i play has been flickering to black screen every 2-5 mins or so. the video keeps playing, the audio is fine but the image flickers most annoyingly and then plays again. i assume it has something to do with

Quote:It seems like that the raspb is trying to sync the depth of the resolution from your TV, i.e on bootup the raspb is switching the TV via HDMI to 1080p60 -> but ! changing this in xbmc does not effect to your TV, so someone is trying (kernel driver or hardware) to correct this everytime.

my question is has this been fixed in 04-20 nightly or should i revert back to an earlier one?
The thread you linked to is nearly two years old so its highly unlikely to be related to that.

Sounds like the same issue I mentioned in post #1188:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1684647

Try setting refresh_change=2 in the config.txt settings in raspbmc settings to disable the experimental dynamic refresh rate changing that was introduced in 0413. It seems that on some files it goes crazy switching back and forth - even if you have adjust refresh rate to match video disabled it still causes the screen to blank for a second.

Let us know if the above setting fixes it, if not it could be a separate bug.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
(2014-04-21, 14:20)DBMandrake Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 14:15)sparkyvanburen Wrote: i have been running these nightlies since feb and love them but i have a question regarding xbmc-13-20140413-nc3 on latest raspbmc build. i havent updated to the latest nightly yet, i have been running 04-13 since the 13th. but my issue is that in the last week, i have noticed every video i play has been flickering to black screen every 2-5 mins or so. the video keeps playing, the audio is fine but the image flickers most annoyingly and then plays again. i assume it has something to do with

The thread you linked to is nearly two years old so its highly unlikely to be related to that.

Sounds like the same issue I mentioned in post #1188:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1684647

Try setting refresh_change=2 in the config.txt settings in raspbmc settings to disable the experimental dynamic refresh rate changing that was introduced in 0413. It seems that on some files it goes crazy switching back and forth - even if you have adjust refresh rate to match video disabled it still causes the screen to blank for a second.

Could this be what is triggering flickering in Hyperion also? My video stream flickers and goes black in latest release.
Hmm I'm having some trouble lately. First my system rebooted and took quite a long time to update. Then Airplay didn't work anymore. I tried reverting to a previous nightly but that meant my layout got all bogged.

I just installed the latest build by your instructions which, oddly enough, caused about 10 reboots by itself. But it finally settled and the interface is still bogged. I know I fixed this before by clearing some kind of settings, could you remind me how to do that again?
(2014-04-21, 14:20)DBMandrake Wrote: Try setting refresh_change=2 in the config.txt settings in raspbmc settings to disable the experimental dynamic refresh rate changing that was introduced in 0413. It seems that on some files it goes crazy switching back and forth - even if you have adjust refresh rate to match video disabled it still causes the screen to blank for a second.

thanks for this, i am trying it right now, will report back
(2014-04-21, 15:47)Robert-Jon Wrote: Hmm I'm having some trouble lately. First my system rebooted and took quite a long time to update. Then Airplay didn't work anymore. I tried reverting to a previous nightly but that meant my layout got all bogged.

I just installed the latest build by your instructions which, oddly enough, caused about 10 reboots by itself. But it finally settled and the interface is still bogged. I know I fixed this before by clearing some kind of settings, could you remind me how to do that again?
Nevermind this. I tried deleting the current build and reinstalling the latest build, and again I'm getting stuck in a reboot loop.

I'll be setting up a clean install on the SD card from my laptop shortly, this thing is having major issues.
(2014-04-20, 20:41)miappa Wrote: @parthabhatta
First, the builds you find here are only XBMC, not the actual OS.
Raspbmc will support HiFiberrry with a Gotham build, Wolfson (as far as I understand) is still in the works.... it works but there are still some issues if I understood correct.
If you want to test, all you need to do is run the commands in my last post above.

Thanks I will soon try your xbmc builds.
I just installed the latest Nighty from the 20th but now it does not see my libary anymore. At the start is was saying the libary could not be loaded and when i try to update the libary nothing happens. When i switch back to the 12.2 the libary is working correctly again.

Anyone got an idea what im doing wrong here?
I test the pi + wolfson audio card
OS is wolfson 3.10 master<<<(many os inside)
First I install RASPBIAN,and add wolfson img
http://www.element14.com/community/messa...oad#107186

after reboot I add those sh

./Playback_to_Lineout.sh
./SPDIF_playback.sh

and startx use LXmusic player
the audio signal is well
audio signal path is 1.pi>lineout port>headphone 2.pi>spdif port>dac>amp
the sound is good
everthing is ok
***************************************************************************************************************
later
I select the RaspBMC to install(it's same SD card[wolfson 3.10 master] I never change SD card to switch OS,I just select OS when the system on boot)
when installed
in the xbmc menu I got some xbmc info
xbmc running 12 >>>>>>So the wolfson 3.10 master is same "VersionBig Grinecember 2013" in pi offical download page
and I add this

wget -O xbmc-14-20140420-nc3.tar.gz http://goo.gl/tNRTO0 --no-check-certificate
pv xbmc-14-20140420-nc3.tar.gz | tar xzf - -C /home/pi/.upgrade
sudo cp /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-14-20140420-nc3/{fixup_x.dat,start_x.elf} /boot
ln -sfn /home/pi/.upgrade/xbmc-14-20140420-nc3/xbmc-bcm /home/pi/.xbmc-current
sudo reboot

when I reboot
I doing "update"&"upgrade"

reboot again
and add wolfson img
http://www.element14.com/community/messa...oad#107186

after reboot I add those sh

./Playback_to_Lineout.sh
./SPDIF_playback.sh

Now I finally start to setting my xbmc
but the audio output only have HDMI and Anologue
no wolfson output

so I aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpiwsp [snd_rpi_wsp], device 0: WM5102 AiFi wm5102-aif1-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

I don't play music yet
but the headphone sound louldly
the sound is like "own" pronunciation
spdif out port is no signal>>>>>I know about it from my dac LCD info
And I reboot
something got error now
udevd[136]: timeout: killing 'set_volume' [137]
udevd[136]: 'set_volume' [137] terminated by signal 9 (killed)
here have some error line,but I capture too late
I try to debug
but anything look good
I find nothing
I don't know where is the bug........Sad

I just learn linux a few days,my English is too poor
so I post here to ask every master to solve my problem
thanks a lot~!
(2014-04-19, 09:29)jw998 Wrote: The short sample as an MPEG is here and the debug log is at http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=179237

Can you check the dropbox link? I can't download it.
(2014-04-21, 16:36)sparkyvanburen Wrote:
(2014-04-21, 14:20)DBMandrake Wrote: Try setting refresh_change=2 in the config.txt settings in raspbmc settings to disable the experimental dynamic refresh rate changing that was introduced in 0413. It seems that on some files it goes crazy switching back and forth - even if you have adjust refresh rate to match video disabled it still causes the screen to blank for a second.

thanks for this, i am trying it right now, will report back
just to verify, this has solved the problem, refresh_change=2 in the config.txt

thank you for bringing it to my attention
(2014-04-17, 18:22)DBMandrake Wrote: I have a file which plays normally on Mac OS with codec info reporting a steady 25fps, when I play it on miappa's latest 0413 RPi build it goes crazy constantly switching back and forth between 24Hz and 60Hz about once per second. (Codec info fps also fluctuates between 23 and 25fps)
There is a slight pause once per second like a dropped frame so it could well be a 24fps file whose container lies that it is 25fps, but that doesn't explain why it keeps switching to 60 Hz... (my default resolution is 1920x1080 at 50Hz, not 60Hz)

Thanks for sample. The file has timestamps that differ by 40ms (i.e. 25fps), but once a second the difference is 80ms, so there are only actually 24 frames per second.

This seems to be an ugly way of converting 24 fps content to 25 fps. I'm not sure if this was done at source (i.e. on Blu-Ray or by Broadcaster) or in some subsequent conversion.
I can ignore the double length frame differences which stops the unwanted switching.
But you will always have judder on panning shots due to the once a second timestamp jumps.
(2014-04-22, 18:47)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-04-19, 09:29)jw998 Wrote: The short sample as an MPEG is here and the debug log is at http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=179237

Can you check the dropbox link? I can't download it.

Thanks for looking into this. However, I just downloaded it (7.7MB) via wget on another system, so the link is working now, at least "here" (PDT). Here's a link to the zipped version, in case the issue is content and/or location (??). Can you try this?
(2014-04-23, 07:11)jw998 Wrote: Thanks for looking into this. However, I just downloaded it (7.7MB) via wget on another system, so the link is working now, at least "here" (PDT). Here's a link to the zipped version, in case the issue is content and/or location (??). Can you try this?

New link works.
Okay I have seen it stop when rewinding with dvdplayer (not seen a crash yet).
(2014-04-22, 22:28)popcornmix Wrote: Thanks for sample. The file has timestamps that differ by 40ms (i.e. 25fps), but once a second the difference is 80ms, so there are only actually 24 frames per second.

This seems to be an ugly way of converting 24 fps content to 25 fps. I'm not sure if this was done at source (i.e. on Blu-Ray or by Broadcaster) or in some subsequent conversion.
I can ignore the double length frame differences which stops the unwanted switching.
But you will always have judder on panning shots due to the once a second timestamp jumps.
Ah, that makes perfect sense.

I doubt its mastered like that on a Blu-ray, but I could easily see an over the air broadcaster doing shoddy frame rate "conversion" or whoever encoded it didn't know that trying to convert frame rate is a "bad idea ™".

It really frustrates me how often individuals encoding video screw up the frame rate by attempting unnecessary conversions, and because they're usually testing it on a computer monitor that couldn't display the native frame rate anyway without the player doing pull down they don't realise how much they're messing it up...

(For a good example of commercially mastered video with totally messed up encoding though - look at the PAL Babylon 5 DVD's - live footage was all recorded at 24fps 16:9 on film, but all the CGI and composite shots were rendered at 60i NTSC, (4:3) so in a composite shot on the PAL discs you have 24p film that is cropped to 4:3 then converted to 60i with 3:2 pull down, composited and/or mixed with CGI, frame rate converted and scaled to 50i PAL and cropped again to 16:9 ! What a mess...Live only shots are sped up from 24p to 25p and encoded as is in 16:9 progressive so look far better than the composite/CGI shots)

I've noticed a lot of supposed 25fps material recently which has a small pause once a second, so unfortunately I think shoddy conversion from 24fps to 25fps is actually quite common in some places...

I tried a few other clips which have this same visual cadence of a brief pause once a second on pans and they did not trigger this frame rate switching bug - I don't have anything to analyse the frames (can you recommend a good free program that will go a bit deeper than just showing the container fields ?) but I would guess that in those cases there are actually 25 frames and a constant 40ms timestamp - but the 25th frame is just a duplicate of the 24th so visually the glitch looks the same, whereas in my sample file it just tells the player to wait twice as long after the 24th frame to fill out the gap...

I wonder if there is some way to reliably detect either method and have the player actually treat it as 24fps material by discarding the duplicate frame and re-sampling the sound speed to match ? Lots of potential for things to go wrong of course... Wink
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
  • 81(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds15