Windows 8.1 XBMC Unable to create GUI, Exiting
Ran XBMC as Admin and still get same error different address...

15:00:27 T:8168 ERROR: Unhandled exception in CApplication::CreateGUI() : Win32 exception (code:0xc000001d) at 0x5db32a9c

Not running it in portable mode, at least not knowingly.

Like I said all my games run fine. Only thing graphics driver wise that doesn't work is Geforce Experience GUI will not load. I'll try a clean install of drivers.
It may not be of any help, havn't played with SLI for a couple of years but when I was using it I came across the problem that some program's would fail until I turned off SLI.

Problem possibly fixed by now but worth a shot.
SLI enabled, disabled, makes no difference. Clean install on drivers makes no difference. I just played a few hours of Assassin's Creed 3 and it didn't miss a beat so I don't think it has anything to do with the drivers.

What other programs if any does XBMC rely on? Like .Net Framework etc.

It's looking more and more like a clean install is in order.
Uninstalled Visual C++ and all updates, installed it again via XBMC installer, ran Windows Update to update it. I then installed XBMC to a flash drive and launched it in portable mode as Administrator...... STILL same error.
Are you running 12.2 or one of the 13 alphas?

I was running 13 Alpha 8 and was getting this same error
I'm stuck without XBMC as well now. Had it running just fine on Windows 8 Pro x64 (except it takes quite a long time ´before gui shows when starting).
Today I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and after that I can no longer run XBMC, I keep getting that error message stuck behind a black screen.
I have updated to latest drivers a well as deleted and reinstalled XBMC but no good, still won't run.
(2013-10-22, 00:57)SteinerKD Wrote: I'm stuck without XBMC as well now. Had it running just fine on Windows 8 Pro x64 (except it takes quite a long time ´before gui shows when starting).
Today I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and after that I can no longer run XBMC, I keep getting that error message stuck behind a black screen.
I have updated to latest drivers a well as deleted and reinstalled XBMC but no good, still won't run.

I feel your pain my friend, this is one strange bug. Have you tried running the Directx end-user runtime installer? Thankfully since I've upgraded to Windows 8.1 the issue hasn't reared it's ugly head again.
Since Win 8.1 contains DX 11.2 the web installer refuses to run saying there's a newer version installed already. I would suggest it's down to the new DX, but I've seen people having this problem that didn't have 8.1.
VLC and all my games runs fine so don't think it's the gfx drivers or new DX either, this is a tricky one.
Can nobody provide a debug log (see advancesettings on how to activate it without gui)?
I can probably add more debug message to see where it really fails (gotham that is).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
How do I attach a debug log, or just copy plaintext?
read: Debug Log
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Key line seems to be:
14:05:18 T:8728 ERROR: Unhandled exception in CApplication::CreateGUI() : Access violation at 0x725736df: Writing location 0x00000005

Reading, but it tells me how to upload the bug report from XBMC, which is impossible since I can't get it to run.

Updated from 12.0 I had to latest daily build, no difference, completely removed the XBMC folder under appdata, no difference.

Again in v13.x
14:21:37 T:9904 ERROR: Unhandled exception in CApplication::CreateGUI() : Access violation at 0x725736df: Writing location 0x00000005
get the full log and the stack trace and upload it to xbmclogs.com. upload the .dmp file to dropbox or similar. fresh gotham test is enough as frodo won't get much attention anymore.
The exception is a b*tch as it won't tell us whats going wrong. It sometimes fails directly in the windows api calls.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2013-10-22, 10:18)WiSo Wrote: Can nobody provide a debug log (see advancesettings on how to activate it without gui)?
I can probably add more debug message to see where it really fails (gotham that is).

I'd gladly provide logs, and did (only log lvl 2 I believe) but I cannot reproduce this bug anymore since the switch to Windows 8.1. I guess it's par for the course with this very odd bug, for one person windows 8.1 fixes the bug and for another it causes it . . . That's got me thinking, I wonder if it has something to do with the Windows upgrade process. I first encountered it with an upgrade from 7-8. If you have a restore point from before your upgrade you could always try going back and running the update again. I would have tried it but I was running 7 w/o system restore active.
Is thera a way to turn on debug log without opening xbmc.

I have the "Unable to create GUI: Exiting" error.

Stopped working after the WIndows 8.1 upgrade.
Uninstalled xbmc and made fresh install but didn't help.

xbmc 12.2

Also tested XBMCSetup-20131022-be167e6-master, same result.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8.1 XBMC Unable to create GUI, Exiting1