My research for good and cheap xbmc hardward neo x7 mini and xcy x-26
Hi everyone,

I have a LG 3D Full HD TV with optical audio output. I already have NAS and media server attached to my Gigabit wireless router Asus RT-N56U. My LG TV is smart TV and have its own media player application. The TV can play all movie on media server from the router by its own without the need of external media player hardware.

However I still want to setup external hardware to install xbmc to stream movie and live TV from internet.

I am searching for good and cheap hardware for xbmc to use with my LG TV and found 2 good options:

option 1:

MINIX NEO X7 MINI Android TV Box RK3188 Quad Core TV BOX Android 4.2 WiFi HDMI Bluetooth 2G/8G USB RJ45 OTG

Processor Rockchip RK3188 Quad-Core Cortex A9 Processor (1.6GHz)
GPU Quad-Core Mali 400
Memory 2GB DDR3
Internal Storage 8GB NAND Flash
Processor Frequency: 252MHz~1608MHz
Wireless Connectivity 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
Bluetooth Bluetooth V4.0
OS Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2
Video Output HDMI 1.4a, Full HD 1080p, 3D movie file format supported
Audio Output HDMI 1.4a two channels, Optical S/PDIF AC3 multi-channel
Peripheral Interface RJ-45 Ethernet jack (10/00Mbps)
SD/MMC card reader (SD 3.0, MMC V4.41)
USB 2.0 HOST port x 2
IR receiver (built-in, remote included)
Supported Video Format AVI/RM/RMVB/MKV/WMV/MOV/MP4/WEBM/DAT(VCD format) VOB(DVD format)/MPEG/MPG/FLV/ASF/TS/TP/3GP
Supported Audio Format MP3/WMA/WMV/APE/OGG/FLAC/AAC

price US$108 ~ US$111 (include shipping)

option 2:
XCY X-26 INTEL C1037U 1.8GHz (1.8GHZ Frequency) Dual-core CPU

CPU INTEL Celeron C1037U 1.8GHz (1.8GHZ Frequency) Dual-core
Chipset Intel C1037U+NM70
Graphics Cores INTEL{R}HD Graphics
RAM DDR3 SO-DIMM 2GB
graphics memory GPU onboard 512M
Resolution 1024*600,1366*768,1920*1080,,800x600,640x480
Color Depth 32bit
Dimension 19.7*19.7*4cm
Hard Drive Capacity 2.5 inch 8G SSD
Video HDMI+VGA
audio frequency Realtek ALC6662
OS Supported WIN7, Linux, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Ubuntu,Debian etc.
Network 1*RTL8111DL Onboard NIC Gigabit Lan, Wake-On-LAN Or WIFI
I/O Port 4*USB2.0, 1*HDMI 1.3, 1*VAG, 2*MIC, 2*SPK, 1*DC-IN jack, 1*RJ 45Lan port, 1*On/Off Power Switch
Wireless Connectivity 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi

price US$183 ~ US$195 (include shipping)

I do not know which one to choose and need your opinion to make decision.

Advantages of minix neo x7 mini over xcy x-26:

1. Minx neo x7 mini have optical audio output which can output 5.1 multi channels audio to Sonos playbar. My LG tv already have optical audio output so I may not need this feature. However, for other users, if your TV does not optical audio output you may need this optical audio output on neo x7 mini to output 5.1 audio to Sonos playbar. For your information, Sonos wireless speakers is one of the best wireless speaker solution in the world. I plan to buy 5.1 sonos system for my home theater. Sonos wireless speaker 5.1 system is around US$3400 for 1 Playbar + 1 Sub + 2 Play:3.

2. Minix neo x7 mini has Quad-Core while xcy x-26 has Dual-core. But I am not sure Rockchip RK3188 Quad-Core Cortex A9 Processor (1.6GHz) will be faster than INTEL Celeron C1037U 1.8GHz (1.8GHZ Frequency) Dual-core or not.

3. Minix neo x7 mini has HDMI 1.4a while xcy x-26 has HDMI 1.3 (For your infomation HDMI 1.4a support ethernet connection over HDMI cable)

4. Minix neo x7 mini has IR remote control while xcy x-26 does not have remote control. (I still can use xbmc remote control on androis phone or iphone to control xbmc on xcy x-26 but some user still prefer physical remote control)

5. Minix neo x7 mini is fanless while xcy x-26 has fan but some users reported xcy x-26 fan is very quiet, you could not hear it unless your ear is 2" near to the xcy x-26.

6. Minix neo x7 mini is cheaper than xcy x-26. US$70 ~ US$80 cheaper than xcy x -26

Advantages of xcy x-26 over minix neo x7 mini:

1. xcy x-26 is real PC while minix neo x7 mini is not. I can install window OS, MS office, window games, linux on xcy x-26 while I can not do the same on minix neo x7 mini. I can play install and play other window games on xcy x-26.

2. can use xcy x-26 to setup NAS and media server while minix neo x7 mini can not do that. I may not need this feature as my asus router RT-N56U already has this feature. However for other users, this feature may be useful for you.

3. openelec run perfect on xcy x-26 while xbmc on andoid minix neo x7 mini is still buggy.

4. can install openelec on usb thumb drive and plug to usb port of xcy x-26 to boot direct to xbmc while minix neo x7 mini can not do that. When using openelec on usb thumb drive of xcy x-26, we still can install normal window or linux desktop OS on SSD harddrive of xcy x-26. If I want to use normal desktop OS on xcy x-26 I just need to remove openelec usb thumb drive and xcy x-26 will boot to window or linux desktop OS.

5. xcy x-26 has Gigabit RJ45 Lan Wake-On-LAN Or WIFI while minix neo x7 mini only has 100Mbps RJ45. I have Gigabit router and I want to connect home theather to router using wire ethernet cable so Gigabit RJ45 feature on xcy x-26 is advantage over 100Mbps RJ45 on minix neo x7 mini.

6. xcy x-26 has VGA output to use with old monitor. I may not need this VGA output feature because I do not have old monitor. I can still use VNC to connect and control xcy x-26 from my laptop or android phone/tablet.

I do not know which one to choose and need your opinion to make decision. Right now I still use lousy 7" android tablet connect to TV to run xbmc while waiting to buy proper hardware for my xbmc.

Please help me to make decision by sharing your opinion or experience if you have minix neo x7 mini or xcy x-26.

Thanks.
ouya
Hi Bigtoe,

I am in kind of same boat as you. I investigated those (quad core) android boxes and boards. In the end the XBMC support is still buggy for andriod. Also booting first in android and then start XBMC would be a huge minus for the WAF. Over 100 € or $ is way to much to be wasted.

If you only want to stream and you want cheap; I recommend the raspberry pi with openelec. I have quite a big library so I found the the pi to slow. Also I backed up my movie DVD collection in iso's; dvd menu's won't work for 100%.

I have made my mind up fo 75%; I go for the Zotac ID18:
  • Zotac is a known company
  • Cheap
  • Energy efficient and still fast
  • And if you don't like it; you can install windows/linux on it
  • Oh, great openelec support
(one small con: de-interlacing is a problem (for now))
(2013-10-20, 07:17)bigtoe Wrote: found 2 good options

option 1.
Or search for other systems with Celeron 847, 1007, 1037 processors. (EG. RL80 is mentioned on here a lot).

For non-intel system:
Ouya might be ok.
Cubox i2-Ultra and Utilite both interesting
At least in the US, there are a lot of off-the-shelf mini PCs with Celeron processors like the X-26 but the difference is if there's an issue you're not trying to ship it back to China.
Thank eskro, Locutusweb, joelbaby for your suggestion

I did some research for those hardwares suggested above. I also look at raspberry pi and odroid u2.

Below is my finding:

1. raspberry pi

raspberry pi is too slow with 800Mhz CPU and 512MB memory. price is not cheap for that kind of slow hardware. You need to buy power adapter, case, sd card, shipping... and total price can go up to $100.

2. ouya $99

ouya could not install android applications from google play store. You buy ouya for xbmc and play android games but you can not install android games from google play store. You only can play games that ported to ouya.

3. Cubox i2-Ultra $94.99 (no power adaptor, no SD card) add another $15 to get power adaptor and linux SD.

Cubox i2-Ultra has Optical SPDI/F Audio Out like minix neo
Cubox i2-Ultra has gigabit lan but max speed is limited at 470Mbps due to internal chip busses limitation. CUBOX-I2ULTRA can only be pre-orderd. Don't know when it will be shipped. Are you willing to pay for product that has not been around?

FEATURE CUBOX-I2ULTRA
Chipset i.MX6 Dual
Core Count 2 @ 1 GHz
Memory Size 1GByte DDR3
Memory Config 64 bit @ 1066Mbps
3D GPU GC2000
3D GPU Type OpenGL|ES 1.1/2.0,OpenCL 1.1E
HW Video Dec/Enc Multi Format
HDMI 1080p 1.4, 3D support
Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps (*)
WiFi 11n/BlueTooth
Micro SD Interface
eSata II 3Gbps
RTC With Backup Battery
Optical SPDI/F Audio Out
Micro USB to RS-232
InfraRed for Remote Control Receiver & Transmitter

4. odroid u2 $89 no power adaptor, no SD card, no wifi, no remote, no shipping. add accessories + shipping the price can go up $100+

The spec is quite good, better than Raspberry Pi but still not have Optical SPDI/F Audio Out and Gigabit LAN rj45.

Processor Samsung Exynos4412 Prime Cortex-A9 Quad Core 1.7Ghz with 1MB L2 cache
Memory 2048MB(2GB) LP-DDR2 880Mega data rate
3D Accelerator Mali-400 Quad Core 440MHz
Video supports 1080p via HDMI cable(H.264+AAC based MP4 container format)
Video Out micro HDMI connector
Audio Standard 3.5mm headphone jack
HDMI Digital
LAN 10/100Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 Jack ( Auto-MDIX support)
USB2.0 Host High speed standard A type connector x 2 ports
USB2.0 Device ADB/Mass storage(Micro USB)
Display HDMI monitor
Storage (Option) MicroSD Card Slot
eMMC module socket
Power (Option) 5V 2A Power
System Software u-boot 2010.12, Kernel 3.0.x, Android 4.x
Source code will be uploaded on download page after first shipment.
Case Aluminum full metal body with heat sink. (59 x 57 x 60 mm)
PCB Size 48 x 52 mm
5. zotac zbox ID82 is nearly perfect for xbmc, it has Optical audio output, Giagbit LAN rj45, remote controller, can install both window and linux. Dual boot to openelec and normal window/linux OS.

But it still has fan and is expensive. $300+.

Probably, I will go for zotac zbox ID82 instead of XCY X-26. I am 75% will go for the Zotac ID18 like Locutusweb. Thanks Locutusweb for introduce this hardware.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Model ZBOX-ID82-U
Assembly Configuration Barebone (no RAM, HDD, and OS)
CPU Integrated Intel Core i3 2330M 2.2 GHz Dual-Core
Chipset Intel HM65 Express
Cooler Type Fan
Onboard Video Intel HD Graphics 3000
Onboard Audio High-definition analog stereo
Optical Digital S/PDIF output
Onboard LAN 10/100/1000Mbps, WiFi 802.11n/g/b
Memory Size Up to 16GB
Memory Slots 2 x 204-pin SO-DIMM
Memory Type DDR3 1333 SO-DIMM
SATA 1 x 2.5-inch SATA 6 Gb/s
Video Ports 1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI
DVI 1
HDMI 1
USB Ports 2 x USB 3.0
4 x USB 2.0
Power Connector DC19V
Package Contents 1 x ZOTAC ZBOX ID82
1 x Power brick & cable
1 x VESA monitor mount (w/4 screws)
1 x Stand
1 x DVI-to-VGA adaptor
1 x WiFI antenna
1 x Media Remote w/ USB IR receiver
Dimensions 10.24in x 8.27in x 3.94in - 260mm x 210mm x 100mm
Here is perfect hardware for HTPC after I did a lot of research. Perfect hardware for HTPC should have:

1. CPU:

Should have Intel CPU with at least dual core 1.8GHz. Why Intel? to be able to install both window and linux OS.

2. Fanless:

Should have no fan. Why fanless? Because we use it as HTPC and put it next to TV, it should not generate any noise.

3. LAN

Should have Gigabit LAN RJ45. Why Gigabit RJ45? To use HTPC with Giagabit router and stream full HD movie/TV shows from internet. Some users have 100Mbps, 200Mbps or even 500Mbps internet download speed. WiFi and 100Mbps LAN RJ45 can not scope with such Gigabit ethernet router and high speed internet.

4. HDMI:

Should have HDMI 1.4a

5. Optical audio output:

Should have Optical audio output. Why need Optical audio output? To connect HTPC to Sonos wireless speakers. Without multi channels audio output to 5.1 speakers, home theater systems is not completed.

6. Harddisk:

Should have SSD harddisk. Why SSD? To have fast system boot and quiet harddisk access.

7. USB:

Should have USB 3.0. Why 3.0? to attach media library harddisk to USB 3.0.

8. Small

Should be small. Why small? To easy hide behind TV.

9. remote control:

Shoud have remote control.

10. Cheap
I found perfect hardware for HTPC

It is is 100% fanless with 4 copper heatpipes

It has all ports that I need: HDMI 1.4a, USB 3.0, Gigabit RJ45, Optical Audio Output, SSD harddisk...

It meet almost all my requirements except 2 requirements it could not meet. It could not meet requirement number 8, 10: Small, Cheap.

It is not cheap, it is expensive US$1327+ (not include remote control + shipping), but the price is right with super specs below:

Machine name Sidewinder Slimline Fanless Media PC
Chassis Type Streacom FC5 series
Chassis Material 100% Aluminium
Cooling System Passive fanless CPU heatsink with 4 heatpipes
Compatible Operating Systems Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Ubuntu Linux
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H LGA1150 Micro ATX Motherboard
Graphics Intel HD 4600
Graphics ports DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort and VGA (max any 3 ports simultaneously)
Max resolution DVI & VGA 1920 x 1200
Max resolution HDMI 4096 x 2160 (HDMI 1.4a)
Max resolution DisplayPort 3840 x 2160 (DP 1.2)
Maximum shared graphics memory 1 GB
SATA 6Gb ports 6 (SATA 3Gb compatible)
SATA RAID Support RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10
Wired LAN Intel 10/100/1000 Mbit Ethernet
Wireless LAN Optional
Bluetooth Optional
Rear USB 2.0 / 3.0 ports 2 / 4
Side USB 2.0 / 3.0 ports 0 / 2
Audio HD 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel + 1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector
Other rear ports 1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port
Available PCI Express slots 1 x PCIe x16 (PCIe 3.0)
Memory slots used / available 2 / 2
Typical power usage at Idle / Full Load
(i7 4770K 3.5GHz 84W) 22 / 92W
PC dimensions (W x D x H) 435 x 325 x 60mm
i think OUYA is good and current XBMC version downloadable from ouya store lets call it that way
has hardware accel.
(2013-10-23, 07:02)bigtoe Wrote: Thanks Locutusweb for introduce this hardware.
You're welcome

Wow, your new proposed system is the other side of the spectrum. I looked into the streacom series too. Why don't you go for the FC 8 (EVO)? You said you wanted no noise, so you can ditch the 3,5" disk. Also the FC8 is smaller.

The fanless intel combo's are beautiful; but quite expensive. Above my budget anyways...
Hi everyone,

It's my first post on the forum Smile

I also want a cheap XBMC hardware, but i think that is better to have the possibility to install windows on it. So i'm avoiding all the android hardware, and i found this:

Gigabyte BRIX

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104

What do you think about it?
hey guys new here

i found this forum as im looking for a sub £100 box capable of streaming from my network (wired for preference) obviously i want to use xbmc, with hdmi (full 1080p) and optical (5.1) output not bothered which operating sys i use but would be nice to use my android phone as a remote (its by me when im sat watching the telly and removes the need for another remote)
i guess its a tall ask but hoping for some help here
(2013-11-02, 12:41)martingold Wrote: hey guys new here

i found this forum as im looking for a sub £100 box capable of streaming from my network (wired for preference) obviously i want to use xbmc, with hdmi (full 1080p) and optical (5.1) output not bothered which operating sys i use but would be nice to use my android phone as a remote (its by me when im sat watching the telly and removes the need for another remote)

Minix neo x7 mini is able to fulfill all your requirements. It has rj45, optical audio out for 5.1, it is cheaper than your budget $110 < £100.

(2013-10-24, 12:36)newover Wrote: Hi everyone,

It's my first post on the forum Smile

I also want a cheap XBMC hardware, but i think that is better to have the possibility to install windows on it. So i'm avoiding all the android hardware, and i found this:

Gigabyte BRIX

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104

What do you think about it?

Gigabyte brix is not bad but it is a bit expensive than zotac. Gigabyte is barebone system, you need to buy memory and sdd harddisk. You can buy zotac zbox id82, it can fulfill all your requirements.
(2013-11-03, 04:00)bigtoe Wrote:
(2013-11-02, 12:41)martingold Wrote: hey guys new here

Minix neo x7 mini is able to fulfill all your requirements. It has rj45, optical audio out for 5.1, it is cheaper than your budget $110 < £100.

thanks bigtoe i was actually looking at the neo x7 when i saw a youtube review of one but the replys to the review painted it in a pretty bad light. The problem im having with all the reviews is the contradictory replies some say its awesome some say its rubbish... i have one chance at buying gear and dont want to buy the wrong box

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My research for good and cheap xbmc hardward neo x7 mini and xcy x-261