Upgrade Python to 2.4
i would love to use my xbmc to check my gmail, but since poplib in python 2.3 dosen't support ssl this is impossible.

i was just reading up on poplib and in version 2.4 they added ssl support (yay).

how could i upgrade python on xbmc? i checked the cvs and the latest version is 2.3.4.

i would rather not compile anything (a pre-packaged version would be great), but i'm sure thats asking for a lot, so if someone could point me in the right direction i would be eternally gratefull!

edit//

after speak with some people in #xbmc i was informed the only way this is going to be done is to hack the hell out of python and compile it with the xdk......waaay beyond anything i can do. someone recommended an html wrapper for the gmail website, so i guess thats what i will have to do.

someone was already working on porting 2.4 to xbmc. do a forum search.

btw... if you get a gmail script running you will be a very popular man!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
i actually got it working tonight....sort of.....i can get the email from gmail, even display it, but it looks like a mess...

i should have a working, polished script with-in a couple days. problem is i'm using http instead of pop3 since the poplib that comes prepackaged with pre 2.4 dosen't support ssl. as long as google dosen't change their site dramatically this script shouldn't break.
there is a pop3 python script out there for xbmc. you should check that out.

imo it is good to have http since you may be able to port that to hotmail , yahoo, and other non-pop3 email svcs.

but having a pop3 option would be great too.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
this sounds interesting... keep up the good work Smile
the thing is gmail uses ssl over pop3 and poplib that comes with python prior to version 2.4 dosen't support ssl.

i actually got my hands on the poplib.py from a windows installation of python 2.4 and tried using that but it wouldn't work at all.

i'm just going to stick with doing it the html way. like i said, i got pretty far last night. all i need to do is clean up the code a little better and make it display nicely on xbmc. i should have a couple hours to work on it tonight when i get out of work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade Python to 2.40