• 5(current)
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.9
I'm starting to get the odd "stutter" lately in XBMC Eden running on 1st Gen ATVs with NFS. It might happen once a tv show episode or so. It just constant stutters until I hit the pause button at which point is continues like normal. It's only started doing this in the past week or so and thus I don't know why it's started doing it. Switching from 5GHz to 2.5GHz wireless made no difference. Restarting XBMC made no difference either. I could try rebooting the ATV from scratch, I suppose, but I would imagine it would just come back sooner or later if that did help.

I just tried mounting the drives on the server as ASYNC after reading a lot of Linux hangups and slowdowns were caused by the (now apparently default) SYNC option. I'll have to wait and see if it makes any difference. Here I thought my networking issues were over after going from SMBUp to NFS. SMBUp would often time-out before my media drive could wake up and 10.9 would sometimes re-assert SMB2 on reboots requiring restarting SMBUp's Samba3, but I don't think it ever had a bizarre acting stutter like this that won't resolve until the pause/play button is pressed.

Come to think of it, I did recently put video sync to "video (resample audio)" and so I wonder if that might have affected it as well. I'll try turning that off or to a different setting if the NFS Async setting makes no difference.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
if it just started, and wasnt there before, and you havent changed or updated anything, then its probably not the same issue i've explained in this thread, which is a client-side issue. and if you're using xbmcup/nfs, then i'm assuming the problem you have has more to do with the one under discussion in the other thread relating to SERVERS. from what i recall the solution was xbmcup or nfs. if you're still having issues, then its somethign else entirely. maybe something a restart away.
could you guys play with the new buffersettings please (introduced in gotham alpha 10) - see

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ideo_cache

use buffermode 1 and check

if no change - increase readbufferfactor to 2 - then to 4

report back if this changes anything for you on mavericks
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-12-12, 09:27)Memphiz Wrote: could you guys play with the new buffersettings please (introduced in gotham alpha 10) - see

i will give this a try in a few hours and let you know. just a note - and i could be totally wrong on this, but i think the issue here isn't the lack of buffer, or not enough buffer or too much, but rather that the buffer, if any, isn't being used properly. So for example if you have 100mb buffer, instead of xbmc getting to 50mb, then buffering another 50mb, so the buffer always stays at 100, i think whats happening is it uses up 100mb buffer, then buffers another 100mb (hence the pause and hiccup in video playback).

Atleast this is what i gather from the activity lights on my network drive i.e. when i start a video, the activity light is on, then its off and video starts to play. no activity on drive. then pause, light comes on again for a second or two, buffers, then resumes playback.

like i said, vlc doesn't exhibit the same problem as the light continuously blinks on my drive.

I will report back in a few hours.
Network sources are not buffered by default. My advancedsettings proposal should change this. (normally that kind of buffering you mean is only used on internet sources like http). At least its worth a try ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2013-12-12, 06:09)nmirza Wrote: if it just started, and wasnt there before, and you havent changed or updated anything, then its probably not the same issue i've explained in this thread, which is a client-side issue. and if you're using xbmcup/nfs, then i'm assuming the problem you have has more to do with the one under discussion in the other thread relating to SERVERS. from what i recall the solution was xbmcup or nfs. if you're still having issues, then its somethign else entirely. maybe something a restart away.

So far after changing sync to video (audio resample) to OFF, I haven't seen the hiccup. I did change that setting awhile back when I noticed a lot of video tearing and I seem to recall the audio resample caused problems before but I forget what the symptoms were. It might have been a stutter problem, although I think it was far less severe (i.e. resolved itself within a second or so, but still annoying). No, it's probably not the Gotham issue. I didn't even see a video sync option in Gotham when I tried a build here on my Mac Mini.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2013-12-12, 09:27)Memphiz Wrote: could you guys play with the new buffersettings please (introduced in gotham alpha 10) - see

Hi,

Tried the suggestions. Buffermode 1 is better than before. BUT still not the way it was. While i don't get consistent stuttering like i did before, i will firstly see "buffering...." when i first play a video. sometimes it only lasts a second, other times it will be up to 15-20 seconds, even if i play the same file. secondly, i will see a stutter or two in a 20-30 minute span. not as bad as before where it would pause for a fe seconds, but still you can tell its there. this is with 720p files. with 1080p it might be worse.

Also with buffermode 1, i played 3-4 episodes yesterday, and a few times in the middle my file would just pause, and i'd see buffering VERY slowly. like it would take almost a minute to get to 100%. i thought maybe its my network but when i tried with two other computers with 10.8 and 10.7, i didn't se this behaviour. no buffering. seamless playback.

I also tried the readfactor changes but no luck.

additionally i also tried buffermode 2 and 3, and both modes cause the same stuttering issue.

So as of now i'd say the problem is better, but not really fixed.
Did you try <buffermode>1</buffermode> and <readbufferfactor>4</readbufferfactor> at the same time?
(2013-12-13, 08:27)Ned Scott Wrote: Did you try <buffermode>1</buffermode> and <readbufferfactor>4</readbufferfactor> at the same time?

i tried all kinds of combinations of the two settings, and nothing worked. the best (but still had 1-2 stutters per 30-40 minute media) was just buffermode=1. I'll give it another shot though for these two settings just to doublecheck and report back.

And at some point I also got an error along the lines of "cache filled before reaching required buffer" (paraphrasing), although i'm not sure what setting i was using.
I still can't figure out what is causing my stuttering issues with Eden on an AppleTV Gen 1 machine with a Mavericks server using NFS. The video settings don't matter. The weird thing is that when it starts stuttering (like Max Headroom kind of constant stuttering that goes on for 5-10 seconds or sometimes longer) if I click on Finder in OSX on the server machine, it IMMEDIATELY stops stuttering in the other room. Likewise, just touching the play/pause key on the remote while it's stuttering instantly fixes it (and no it doesn't pause). I don't recall seeing this problem when I first switched over to NFS (which was on Mavericks, not Mountain Lion) so I'm at a loss what is causing it. Rebooting the AppleTV didn't help. I'm in the process of removing software I've added since then (XtraFinder's update that got it working again in Mavericks after major issues comes to mind next) and seeing if it helps on the server side, but since it's intermittant and I want to know the exact cause, I have to make one change at a time and wait and see if it does it again.

I surely hope that NFS is NOT the problem since I was happy to be rid of SmbUP finally (which times out every time it wakes my external media drive and reports the episode as "missing" in XBMC and would I like to remove it from the library (clicking on it again, of course, starts it since then the drive is up). NFS doesn't do that, but something is causing this new stutter issue.
you could try to disable appnap on the mavericks nfs server...
(2013-12-17, 00:25)Memphiz Wrote: you could try to disable appnap on the mavericks nfs server...

As far as I can tell, there is no system wide way to disable it. The question then becomes, exactly which app do I disable app nap for?

Things are about to get even more complicated since 10.9.1 just became available with numerous fixes. If I want to know for sure that didn't fix the problem, I'll have to wait until I'm certain the problem didn't go away already (hasn't done it yet since last reboot and ditching Mac Fan Control and since I can't disprove a negative (except by waiting long periods of time without the problem happening), I'll have to wait some more before upgrading, I guess.
Tthe process for the nfs server should be called "nfsd" if this helps.
(2013-12-17, 14:03)Memphiz Wrote: Tthe process for the nfs server should be called "nfsd" if this helps.

I'm still attempting to find out how to disable app nap for that from the shell (no app icon to set no app nap). I'm not even sure that it applies to NFS to begin with. OK, there's an "Energy" pain in Activity Manager that says whether an app uses it or not. According to that, NFSD does not use App Nap. Finder, however, does. I'm going to try disabling it for Finder.

Hmm, apparently you cannot disable App Nap for certain applications including Finder and Terminal. Boy that really sucks.

Edit Update: I went ahead and installed 10.9.1. So far I haven't had any stutters in three days now from my AppleTV units accessing it via NFS.
vonmagnum, were you able to fix your issue by following the thread here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176400

I think that thread might have something to get you closer to your fix, because its about smb issues while streaming from a 10.9 system.

My issue is purely about the client side. i.e. I am streaming from a NAS, based on archlinux, to a 10.9 xbmc system. the NAS had no issues pre-10.9. Also streams fine to my other 10.8 and 10.7 systems still, plus to two windows htpc's.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.91