• 7(current)
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.9
(2014-01-10, 15:01)Memphiz Wrote: Shouldn't this workaround stop the issue which is discussed in this thread? (as the theory is that its app nap related).

I guess that depends on whether it actually is nap related and not just a theory. My XBMC is not set to prevent app nap and I don't get any stutter issues on either of my two Macs (2008 Macbook Pro running 10.9.1 and the server 2012 Mac Mini running 10.9.1 plus two apple tv first gen units running Eden accessing the Mini so I personally doubt it has anything to do with it. I'd be curious to know what routers people are using that are having the problem. A lot of Apple users buy only Apple equipment where practical so for all I know they could all be using the Airport Extreme or something and IT is the cause of the stutters. I'm using a Netgear WNDR 3700 dual-band 802.11N router, personally. I mean do people having a stutter issue have it if they use Ethernet to connect to their server instead of WiFi? These are the sorts of questions I'd be asking at this point since it clearly isn't just XBMC or I'd have the problem too. I don't get it with WiFi or Ethernet here.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
i have done the App nap off thing and all the other suggested things, one thing I noticed is there seems to be less and less buffering, the longer a movie plays. I agree on the cache cleaning on a machine with the power that this machine has goes against all logic, but that would have been the first suggestion, I might have got :-)
My feeling is there are more issues than meet the eye here and apple have some part to play, I am sure they look into forums such as this and we will see a bug fix in a security update but say again Mac have sucked at video always, in 10.8, I dumbed back to Quicktime 7, which I might try on this machine. but as I see it, App nap is not a solution, SMBUp is not a solution, dumbing back to SMB1 not the solution on this mac mini server, twin core, 2x500 HD's and 8 Gb of ram with nothing else running in the background even!
Regarding Routers, my files are on an internal 500Gb disc (all permissions fine) so I am not sending the files over my Time Capsule. I will be the first to admit, when it gets to code in the terminal, I'm not great and the workings of the OS too but I wonder if those who are using 12.3 and mavericks and have no problems, perhaps have some other app loaded that has kept some setting that mavericks has not interfered with? Sorry, grasping at straws here, got the Bogs Dollocks of a mac mini server and would Love for it to work as well as a basic 2008 mac mini I have on 10.6 and XBMC 11
I have installed Quicktime player 7, opened a few seconds of any video and for now, all seems fine now with XBMC 12.3 on Mac mini server, all very strange?
I will post again tomorrow after I have used it a bit, to see if it continues...
The issue I was having went away when I moved to smb2 on the nas and on mavericks. App nap settings were not changed.
I have been following this thread for a long time (since 10.9 was released)

I have kept updating to the nightly builds, tried so many different settings within 10.9 itself and had no luck with anything.
My buffering became so bad yesterday I had enough and was determined to find a fix.

I opened up AppCleaner and removed every single file associated with XBMC to start a fresh. I'm still not certain this was the problem (or solution) but I figured it can't hurt to try.
I have all of my media on a QNAP NAS that was sharing via SMB to XBMC on my Mac mini (htpc) and again - not sure if this was the problem with the buffering since upgrading to 10.9

After I cleaned up XBMC and all associated files I re-installed from the latest stable update 12.3.
Of course I then had to set up all my skins and settings as they were before but this time I set the sharing of movies and tv through NFS from the QNAP NAS. I updated the library and starting watching my shows again.

The show I was watching earlier in the day that was buffering like mad now ran from start to finish with not one stutter or buffering problem.
SUCCESS
So I tested it again, on another TV show. Again no problems were to be seen!
5 different tv shows and 5 episodes on I still haven't run into any more buffering or stuttering problems.

Touch wood this will be the end of the frustrating watching of TV shows and Movies.
Hope this could help someone out there!
Yeah, I mentioned how well NFS worked a few pages ago. SMB2 appears to work well in 12.3 now, though, but that doesn't help my old Eden setups on my Gen1 Apple TVs. The problem I have now is that OSX ignores NFS as an assertion to keep the machine from sleeping or to wake it for that matter (whereas SMB and AFP do set the flag to keep it from sleeping). This is purely Apple's fault for not including NFS in their sleep assertion system. I sent them feedback telling them how I felt about that, but I don't think it will do much good. Apple has a way of ignoring feedback. So much for using sleep on the server to save energy. Too bad XBMC can't send like a dummy AFP or SMB signal to the server every so often just to keep it awake. But even if a feature like that were added, it wouldn't do Eden any good and unless I want to wipe the Apple interface or run off a USB stick with Linux, I can't update XBMC on it since they dumped all support for the Apple interface version on Gen1 machines.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
You can do a simple service addon which stats a file on an smb share every 5 mins ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I recently moved from Android and Windows to iOS and OSX.

XBMC on my PC streamed from the network without any problems; TuneIn Radio on my smartphone likewise.

With both my iPad and my Mac Mini, I had massive problems:

TuneIn Radio on the iPad would randomly disconnect or buffer every minute or two.
XBMC on the Mac wouldn't ever stream more than a few seconds of 720p video from my MyBook Live via wi-fi before buffering.

On my Mac, I verified all was well on a wired connection: it was.

I looked at my network and found a lot of my neighbours have very similar SSIDs (BTHubX-XXXX). I was still using the factory password and default security (WPA2).

Either OSX Mavericks and iOS7 dislikes similar SSIDs OR (perhaps more likely) they don't play nicely with WPA2 security.

Three small changes:

SSID changed to a unique name
Security changed from WPA2 to WPA
Password changed

No stutters, buffers or disconnects (even with 1080p DTS 5.1 surround movies) on both my Mac Mini and iPad.

Hope this fixes your problem.
I've noticed XBMC Eden on my 1st Gen AppleTVs get caught in either freeze-frame or "stutter loops" once in awhile lately when playing back videos/tv shows from my Mac Mini whole house server (running Mavericks 10.9.2). The thing is that this is the exact same behavior I had when I was using SMBuP (Samba 3.0) with Mountain Lion. I assumed that it was SMB that was causing the weird hiccups since it seemed to go away when I switched over to NFS, but now I'm thinking it's either something inherent to either Mountain Lion and Mavericks (I first noticed this with NFS since 10.9.2 update was released, although over a month later after I installed it) *OR* there's something that's either getting corrupted in the XBMC database or some other setting or hard drive space issue on the AppleTV itself that simply went away for some time after wiping out the SMB shares and creating NFS ones.

I'm not certain how to go about proving which is the cause, I'm leaning towards something filling up or corrupting in the XBMC database since it seems so odd that it's the exact same symptom with two different protocols and only happens after the database has been in place for many months (i.e. NFS never did this for the past 6 months or even the last 2 with 10.9.2 and not at all with earlier Mavericks versions despite all the drama with newer versions of XBMC. I just have no idea what is happening. I don't know if anyone else has ever had the video freeze or stutter for no apparent reason (pressing pause/play when it does it immediately gets rid of the problem, despite nothing to indicate that XBMC was "paused" when it freezes. It just clears and continues playing as if it was unpaused (when it stutters it's the audio that's repeating over and over; the picture is just frozen; otherwise it's just a frozen picture with no sound like pause that was never selected). It's bizarre.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video "Buffering" stutter every few minutes on 10.91