Updates to GUI skin editor
i have been updating the xbmc skin editor and have made some nice gui fixes. you can now expand and collapse the information on the right hand side.

here are some pics:

collapsed

some expanded and some collapsed

this is rendering the latest orbs skin ver 1.90 by kotix!
very nice!

do you support textures.xpr?

is the still the place to get it >>>

http://www.jimk.xbox-scene.com/downloads.htm
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
this version is not out yet, waiting for 2.0 skins and then i will update to support 2.0 skins and release.

as for textures.xpr, i spent about 18+hours translating the code to extract images out of textures xpr and kept getting errors from the lzo compression lib. there is no delphi component or source to use lzo so decided it was not worth spending any more time on it when almost all skins have the raw images avail. for download. its a small feature that may seem important but i thought it out and if you are building your own skin, you will have the raw images already and if you are editing an existing skin you can(in most cases) download the images and edit it to your liking. it really comes down to a lazyness factor on the user part, weather they take the time to download the media files or not.
looks very nice jimk72. i've been waiting to hear from your progress. i've started using your editor and i like it alot. those panes on the left will i be able to resize them to my own liking aswell?

i made this skin retro a couple of years ago and thougth it was time to get it going again but with the massive changes made to the skin engine since then makes the entry barrier tough even for me. this is where your exellent editor comes in Smile hope you find the strength to keep going with it inspite of the some what small amount of feedback.

i work professionally with interface design so if you want more direct feedback don't hesitate to send me a pm.

p.s.
i used tortoise cvs to get the pmiii images from sourceforge using guides in the xbmc manual.
d.s.
not sure what panes you are talking about on the left?

as far as support, i will get a version that supports 2.0 skins and then after that will depend on interest and participation from others. i hate it when someone just says its hard to use and doesnt do what it needs to do, then i ask them like what and they have no answer. if people give ideas and valid suggestions i will work on them, but if no one gives feedback i will be done and will release the source.

jimk
sorry that was ofcourse on the rigth i was talking about. the ones you just made expandable colappsable. will those be adjustable in size aswell?

ok so i've been using the editor for a couple of hours now using the pmiii skin from cvs from like 4 days ago as a base for my skin. and i still like the editor alot.

so, suggestions:

- as mentioned the different panes on the rigth adjustable in size. mostly up/down is the one i miss the most.

- i think something with the reload button has to be changed. maybe you have a good reason why it is as it is? but reload is my singel most used function. maybe connected to fex "apply changes to control"-button in preview page. maybe added to the buttons on the top toolbar and combined with preview. so when pressed, no matter where the user is in the editor gui it reloads the xml and switches to the "preview page".

- ability to move selected "control" with arrow-keys (if the actual preview area has focus) arrow key press=1 pix movement, shift+arrow key press=10 pix movement. maybe even adding support for changing size of controls with ctrl+arrowup/down key for 1pix increase/decrease y-size and ctrl+shift+arrowup/down for 10pix increase/decrease y-size and equivilant for x-size with left/rigth arrowkeys?

- changing values in different number-input fields with arrow-keys: 1up=+1 1down=-1 (like in photoshop)

- a browse button next to each "texture" area in the "editing page" using standard windows open-dialog. this so that one can use the thumbnail view and browse files to use.

- in settings add path definition for xbmctex.exe and add button and quality setting to compress textures to textures.xpr directly from the editor. basicly implement the "xbmctexgui" into the editor. though i'd choose a drop-down for selecting compression level/quality (the xbmctex.exe then wont have to be distributed with the editor)

- include overlay frames for safe areas in the different resolutions. i have now when i'm working with my skin, exchanged the normal background image with a temp one where the safearea is drawn into it. basically it is my version of "background-uicalibration.png" in pmiii. this ofcourse so that i can put all controls within that safe area.

- "linked scrolling" option in the xml-data page. so that when navigating in the xml-code both original and changed scrolls together (if i want to).

- maybe obvious but using the built in xml editor would make things more efficient.

- when having focus on the list of controls, navigate between controls as it is now but whith fex ctrl+arrow key move the currently selected control up/down in order.

- could "labels" for a control be selected from a drop-down in the settings-area within the editing-page? a drop-down based on the defined strings.xml. probably a bit like the execute options drop-down?

some glitches i've discovered:

- ctrl-tab as it is today for switching to next page but it also needs ctrl+shift+tab to move back to previous page.

- the "number lines" button in xmldata page is just add+add+add and so on but should be a toggle button.

ok so this is from using the editor for about 3hrs. as i've said i like it alot and i want to keep using it. these suggestions are not complaints but ideas and thougths, as you asked for. i would more then gladly discuss these thougths with you to help you progress.

great job! :thumbsup:

--floink

ok so i uploaded the skin to my box and it seems like the xmls i edited with the editor screwed up things majorly... hmm maybe i should have stayed away from the references.xml with the editor?

not giving up yet...
floink, wait! the version you have is a beta for a specific xbmc skin version! there have been so many changes with the xbmc skin versions in the last 2 months that depending on what version of xbmc you have it will not work at all! when i released the beta it was up to date, but almost everything in the skins xml files has changed since then.

the version i am working on now is around 1.80- 1.90 but is only for loading, i have not made any changes to the saving of the xml files so they will not work on an xbox and infact you will lose any new tags that are not supported.

if you would like i will send you the latest version to play with(donot use it and save) for suggestions. as the version you have is nothing like this one.
heh :oops: well that explains the garbeled stuff then... still i hope my feedback is somewhat valid?

check your pm inbox.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updates to GUI skin editor0